Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Working on that PS3 backlog.

kaffekask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By kaffekask

Recently got a PS4. I love it, but it means that I should probably try to finish those PS3 games that I've got on my shelf and in my PSN Download List (thank you PS+) sooner rather than later.

Simply, I have a number of games that I already own but never really played. I tried to comment on my preferences and sorted them quickly after the thoughts in my head but if you recommend me to or warn me against playing any of these games it will be reflected in the list: One only has so much time after all.

The list!

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Damn most of those are must plays!

Snake Eater, Ico, Far Cry 3, Dead Space, Bioshock 2, Shadow of Colossus, Oblivion, Demon's Souls (one of the best on the list) Catherine, Episodes from Liberty City, most of the Hitman games though Absolution could have been a lot better, God of War, Mass Effect, Half Life, Dishonored is also worth a look if you like to be stealthy.

Not so good

RAGE is pretty terrible and I remember the pop-up was so bad it made me scream.

Driver: San Francisco is okay but even when it was a day one game the online was dead.

Prototype 1/2 I only played the first one and it wasn't very good at all, it was competing with inFamous at the time.

Far Cry 2 The world was pretty damn big but there was very little in there to explore and it felt very wooden.

inFamous 2 I don't think it was as good as the first one, but it's still better than Second Son.

SSX Was a big let down, I was super excited for more of the same SSX brilliance from the PS2 days but it was more serious and never made me want to keep playing.

Bulletstorm I played it for about 30mins and turned it off, first impressions were not good.

Mortal Kombat I was ultimately useless at this game so it might be why I really didn't like it, though like all my games it's still in the collection.

DmC It blows my mind that this is coming out on PS4 soon, it's the worst in the series.

kaffekask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really interesting feedback, thank you!

Snake Eater is of course gonna stay high since I would like to play it before or at the same time as Drew.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By RiotControl

My list is straight up ridiculous. I've been on a backlog burn for over a year now and it's moving, but it's so slow. I use GameFly, RedBox and PS Plus together to knock out old and new games simultaneously, but man does it still seem to go so slow. I get caught up on certain games I enjoy, but get overwhelmed thinking about their difficulty and/or time commitment like most recently, R.U.S.E. and F1 2010. I end up just not playing anything at all for a week because of it. The main problem is that I'm interested in pretty much every genre... and like to try games I normally wouldn't have like racing or skateboarding games. Some others like flight games and even some movie-based games like Where the Wild Things Are because I loved that movie. It's definitely expanded the list. I've avoided most RPGs, too. Those will end up being a week each when I get around to them.

I'm actually coming up on my list of PS Move games on my GameFly queue. I'm half-excited, half-dreading it. Never really played any motion games before besides the House of the Dead HD games they put out.

The worst part is... I have a Steam backlog, too.

kaffekask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This list I would guess is pretty much it. Once I get through it I can put my PS3 out to pasture. I have a PS4 and I have a PC and if there's a great PS3 game you don't see on the list I have probably already played it. That's why this list felt sort of interesting and important, because I don't have any notion to add many new games to it barring any new interesting PS+ additions.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit dude. That's a lot of games, and there's no way you are getting through that if you ever want to actually play PS4 games. Some of these games are 100 hour journeys.

First things first, I'm not sure whether you actually already own all of these games. If you don't actually own FC3, for example, I would prioritize playing FC4 on PS4 over it since they are similar games (except FC4 is better). Same with Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead Season 2, you could simply play those on PS4. And I'm also fairly sure that the Mass Effect games will come out on PS4 at some point, so I might wait on those, particularly since they don't seem to be in a rush to create a fourth one.

I would prioritize the MGS series (esp. so that Scanlon doesn't spoil it), as well as Half Life, the BioShock series, and Demons Souls since those are all some of the best series ever made.

With regard to Oblivion, you didn't mention Skyrim. Did you play that? If not, I would play that over Oblivion. Oblivion is a smaller, dumbed-down, less varied version of Skyrim.

I would also scrap some of the stuff toward the bottom -- AC Revelations, for example, isn't very good. Neither is Duke Nukem. Battlefield 4 isn't worth your time unless you want to play the multiplayer -- and I don't understand why you would because there are superior multiplayer FPS out there right now. Finally, it was good when it came out but I kind of doubt Resistance holds up so I don't think it's worth sinking time into that entire series if you haven't already started it.

RiotControl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RiotControl

Snake Eater is as far as I'm concerned, by far and away the best MGS game. And for the record, most of those games he listed as not so good I think are all pretty good. Well, maybe not Bulletstorm. That whole skillshot thing ruined it for me. Who wants to worry about getting high scores in a shooter? (You can't ignore it because it's tied to buying upgrades) Rage is unfinished as a whole, but the combat I felt is great.

The only game I'd say I don't care for on your list is When Vikings Attack. It's more like a pick-up-and-play party game. Not so great solo. You pick stuff up, throw it and dodge stuff thrown at you.

RingilEskiath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By RingilEskiath

Wow! Now I don't feel nearly as bad about my own backlog. And I agree with Lisa's must plays. Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect are my two favorite last gen games. Well previous last gen for Mass Effect I guess...

Here are a few games I'd like to finish before I put away the PS3 for good.

1. Enslaved
    2. Shadows of the Damned
    3. Ni No Kuni
    4. Ico
    5. Journey
    6. Resistance 3
    7. Vanquish
    8. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
    9. Beyond: Two Souls
    10. God of War 3
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust

Rage is a good game. I finished it. John Goodman only appears breafly in it. Rage was bashed mostly, because people were expecting out of it a more beautiful Fallout 3/NV, but this game is just a good solid first person shooter set in a small openworld, with an intriguing plot, that ends unsatisfyingly.

Prototype is a good openworld super hero game. To me better than Infamous 1. Prototype 2 was a flop and the developer, Radical Entertainment, got downsized dramatically.

Infamous 2 is great. It starts with a bang, and it is probably, appart from the Batman: Arkham games, the best super hero game.

Bulletstorm is a great shooter, creative, satisfying, with a good plot, that ends with a unsatisfying ending, that prepared way for a sequel that never came, and won't probably come, because the developer was shutdown, after the release of Gears of War: Judgement.

Mortal Kombat is a pretty cool game. It has very good gameplay, a unusually good story mode, and fatalities.

I also recoment Remember Me. A good sci-fi game, with an interesting universe, a innovative and cool fighting gameplay, and a good story, centered about the theme of memories.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

There is some junk on there I would not bother with:

• Anything God of War
    • Assassin's Creed 3
    • Hitman Absolution
    • Assassin's Creed Revelations
    • GRID 2
    • Ratchet & Clank Future
    • Gravity Rush is not a PS3 game
    • Beyond Good & Evil (at least until BG&E2 shows up again)
    • SSX is a grindy microtransactiony slog
    • Puppeteer
    • Quantum Conundrum
    • Comet Crash
    • Rage
    • Prototype is strictly inferior to inFamous. If you still want more of that type of game after inFamous 2 and the PS4 inFamous then maybe it's worth playing, but otherwise you should probably not play it.

I would say that Enslaved should probably be higher on the list. You can "play" though Proteus in 50 minutes.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lisatiffany: My friend it must have been too long since the last time you played DMC2.

DmC may not be the greatest in the series, but it's still a stylish action game after a fashion, that managed to pull many people into the genre that normally hate the genre. Not to mention while Dante is still the POS juvenile character that you love to hate, he's at least less laughable than DMC3 or DMC4 (DMC1 seemed alright in that he didn't really seem to have much personality). Boggles my mind that people ever thought he was a cool character, until I remember that most people were introduced to him when they were like 15.

DMC2 is hated as one of the worst video game sequels of all time; sorry but DmC just is not.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bulletstorm is fantastic.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

With the weekly sales, I don't see ever putting my PS3 up - well at least not for a long while.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Corevi

Play Vanquish. It is one of the coolest games ever made. Same with Metal Gear Rising.

Prototype isn't great. You can get everything you want from it by playing for 2 hours and even then Hulk Ultimate Destruction is better.

Final Fantasy 13 is the exact opposite of 6, I'd recommend getting 9 as a PS1 Classic instead.

Duke Nukem 3D does not hold up, the shooting isn't particularly enjoyable, it's not funny at all and the interactivity of the environments isn't nearly as impressive now.

I'd also recommend a game not on your list, Ni No Kuni. It's only 20 bucks on PSN and is probably the best JRPG for the system

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 more than 4. The mission design was a lot more open although the world doesn't seem so large once you're in it.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Do yourself a favor and play Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. It's absolutely one of the greatest games of that generation. I'm working on Dragon's Dogma right now. It's pretty cool! Way better combat than most WRPGs, but a (mostly) dull story. Also, those visuals have not aged well at all.

Also, play SSX. That game is fucking rad. I probably put 200 or so hours into that game.

kaffekask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I woke up and had gotten all these responses. That's just great and beyond all expectations. Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't think either that I will actually play through all of these, but that's why the list is there, so that I can get recommendations on which to skip and which to prioritize. Also I've been trying to save some money so the idea is that instead of buying new shit all the time I will actually go back and play some of the stuff that I already own.

I have played Skyrim but I have such a great affinity for those type of Bethesda games that Oblivion does seem quite tempting. However, I'll probably end up getting in on PC at the next Steam sale so that I can mod it up and play it that way.

I have FC4 on the PS4 so I'll probably play that before/instead of FC3.

Also, Ni No Kuni should be on the list, I just forgot it. I'm putting it fairly high.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Don't play RAGE, just don't. It's like a tease the whole way through. You keep getting a "yeah this is gonna turn into something big and awesome soon!" But it doesnt, and then it just ends abruptly... Like, just like that... I didn't even expect it to be thr ending, I thought I was just playing an important mission... Thrn BAM.. Over...

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely give Oblivion a try, as long as graphics don't matter much to you (peoples faces do look kinda awful) then it's fantastic, I personally prefer it to Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim (which are all great too). If you have the Shivering Isles expansion for it I'd recommend playing that, some of the best content in the game imo.

I really like Kingdoms of Amalur but then again I am big into western RPGs, its combat is really fun but it is quite a long game and the story kinda disappears in places. Out of the other wrpgs I've played I'd say its most similar to Diablo 3 single player if that helps your decision at all.

Okami is really awesome, I finished it on the PS2 and Wii but it is deceptively long. Really beautiful style though and I don't often finish long action-adventure games, let alone twice.

Dragons Dogma is brilliant, haven't spent much time on Bitterblack Isle (the dark arisen added content) though so can't really comment on that.

Personally I got bored of Bioshock 2 halfway through so I can't really recommend it.

I haven't finished Demon's Souls but I do really like it, prefer it to Dark Souls myself. I find its hub world set up better since if you really get stuck at a certain area/boss you can go back to the nexus (hub) and go into a different 'level' with a different theme so I find it feels less repetitive than Dark Souls.

I got bored and gave up with final fantasy 13 a few hours in, I do hear it picks up and becomes really good after the first 9 or 10 hours so I might give it another try but eh.

That's it from your list, the other games I either haven't played or don't feel strongly about either way. I still have a fair few PS3 games to play too, can't see me unplugging it anytime soon :)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

seems like you like to collect more games than you actually play. do you actually intend on playing all of those? about how many games did you finish last year? i bet you have a ton of ps4 games you havent touch either right? not a lot of god awful games in there but you can definitely separate the must play from the "skip it cause you'll never put your ps3 away".

from my experience play these for sure:

• ico
    • far cry 3
    • shadow of the colossus
    • okami
    • dmc
    • mgs3 + 4
    • dead space
    • rayman origins
    • mgs pw (if you want more mgs)
    • mass effect
    • half-life 2 + episodes
    • vanquish
    • mgr: revengeance
    • ratchet & clank future: a crack in time
    • beyond good & evil
    • demon's souls
    • wipeout hd
    • hitman 2 + blood money

if you got a friend to play with:

• mortal kombat
    • dead or alive 5

the rest are good to ok but let's be real...

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Don't play RAGE, just don't. It's like a tease the whole way through. You keep getting a "yeah this is gonna turn into something big and awesome soon!" But it doesnt, and then it just ends abruptly... Like, just like that... I didn't even expect it to be thr ending, I thought I was just playing an important mission... Thrn BAM.. Over...

This. Rage was so weird. It had a few draws that truly did make you think "this is going somewhere." I laughed at the ending, because I also had no idea it was the end.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm doing the exact same thing. Shiny new PS4 sitting right there and here I am playing PS3 games, haha. PS+ is both a gift and a curse.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a few things:

First (and this is a big one),I highly recommend playing DmC: Devil May Cry as soon as possible before too many people poison your mind against it. So many people out there were just pissed about the redesign of Dante, they just labeled it as shit without giving it a chance. This is what I wrote about it in the unpopular opinions thread a little while back:

DmC: Devil May Cry is an amazing game with an interesting story, great characters and character development (especially Dante, who changes a great deal for the better by the end), and had some of the most silky smooth controls I've ever used in an action game. The ease of use of the combat system, along with the depth for those that wish to explore it, is a testament to just how much work and effort went into its design and shouldn't be looked at as a shortcoming just because it's not exactly the same as previous entries.

Second, there are some people on here that said not to play any of the God of War games. I also rather passionately object to this. These are some of the best action adventure games out there, and you can get them all, including the ones released for the PSP, on the PS3. Play them all. Some are better than others, but they're all worth your time. The only one that didn't live up to the hype was Ascension. I still recommend playing it, but it's the one that stands out as not as good as the rest.

Third, I also highly recommend playing Final Fantasy XIII. This is another game that people are going to try to poison you against just for it's linearity. It's linear for a reason, and that's because it's constantly moving forward with the story, which is quite good, in my opinion, and not difficult to understand if you just pay attention. It has a bit of a slow burn at the start like most JRPGs, but it's a great game. Here's another small quote I used in the unpopular opinions thread that sums up my thoughts.

Final Fantasy XIII is a great game with a great combat system and an interesting setting/story. The characters are a little hit or miss at first, but in the end, they all grew on me, even Snow and Vanille.

I could go into more detail, but if anything else, I would recommend playing it just for the combat system. It's just so damn fun. It's pretty long though, so I would play it after some of the FPS and action games.

Fourth, I would not recommend playing Resistance 2 without at least playing the first one. R2 is the weakest of the series by far. If you play the second one, there's a good chance you'll never play the first or third entry, both of which are excellent games. If anything, I would recommend playing Resistance: Fall of Man. If you don't get to the other two after that, at least it won't have soured you on the series like playing just R2 probably would have.

Fifth, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is also a great game. The combat alone is worth the price of entry. It is, however, rather long, so like FFXIII, I would recommend playing other shorter games first before you tackle this one, as it is commitment, to say the least.

Finally, Vanquish is also amazing. Play Vanquish.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ya'll talkin "I've got a PS4 and I'm still sittin here playin PS3.." I just picked up all 5 ratchet and clank games for PS2, and still have to play through PS2 FF12

kaffekask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kaffekask

@liquiddragon: You're not wrong but part of this is because of PS+ and also because I'm not the only gamer in the house so a lot of these my wife bought and played years ago while I was playing other stuff. Also, last year my playing pace slowed down a lot because we became parents. That'll shorten your gaming time significantly.

Like I said above, I don't intend to play all of these but these are the ones I own and the main point of this thread and list is to help me prioritize which games I actually will end up playing. I'm starting to see a lot of things show up over and over again so that's really helping.

Also not helping is the fact that I've found myself playing a lot of 30+ hour games recently (the latest being Black Flag). I should play through a couple of shorter ones just to make the list look shorter and nicer. ;)

@tyrrael: I played the three main God of Wars years ago (when 3 was new) so the two I have left are the up-ressed PSP ones. I'm looking forward to them.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Corevi

@kaffekask: Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are both 6 hours.

If you haven't played Yakuza 4 it's free this month on PS+ and is pretty cool. The special moves alone are worth playing for and the story is really good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.