Yakuza 3 coming to North America,......NEVER

#1 Edited by Lard (262 posts) -

http://www.examiner.com/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m7d29-Yakuza-3-US-release-date-announced-Never

Earlier this evening, I was talking with a friend, Mr. Ray Almeda,  who works in the Sega marketing department, and we did some catching up and had a bit of small talk. Before our conversation ended, though, I asked him about the current status of Yakuza 3 coming stateside. He gave me a blunt answer: No Yakuza 3.

Sega fans and Yakuza fans will be saddened to know that Sega won’t be bringing Yakuza 3 stateside. The reason as to why they won’t be bringing the game over is simple: it won’t sell, he told me. They have a firm stance to believe that would be the case, too. Yakuza 2 has only sold around 40k copies in America on the PS2. The numbers for the original Yakuza aren’t much better.

The series is moderately popular in Japan and the series will stay there. With the recent announcement of Yakuza 4 coming to PS3 in the future, you can bet it won’t see release outside of Japan.

FUCK YOU SEGA!
#2 Edited by vidiot (2737 posts) -

Yeah....Yeah....No.

Anyone who's been following this knows that Sega screwed up regarding this franchise. Plane and simple.

It's not our fault that Yakuza 2 didn't sell to your expectations. Last time I checked, you barely released Yakuza 2 overseas. No fanfare whatsoever. No real indication of it's release aside from a bunch of reviews, pretty much all stating that the game was quietly released. I barely knew of the sequels existed, had it not been my addiction to gaming blogs.

It also doesn't help, that when it comes to localization: you, Sega, tottaly fucked up.
The first game was dubbed in English without the option to listen to the original Japanese, the english VO was questionable. The second game had only Japanese VO? Talk about not be consistent at all, you effectively split the game series in half dramatically presentation wise. If I was a semi-casual gamer going from the first to the second would have been ridiculously jarring.

Let's start over. More importantly: Lets make some money.

Let's re-release the first two Yakuza games on PSN. Let's figure out what language were going to stick with, may I suggest trying both? There's a market for this franchise via download. You can spice up the port as much as you want, you don't have to go all out on it. Let's get an online ad campaign going. With enough recognition we can jump start this franchise over in the west.

Then again, you are Sega, and you do have a track record of not listening to your consumers and sprinting full speed at bad desicions.

#3 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

Well, that's depressing. Yakuza is one hell of a series. Too bad Sega can't sell the damn things.

#4 Posted by Lard (262 posts) -

It's fucking Shenmue all over again.

First the Aliens RPG, now this.

Sega can fucking eat it, if they think I'm going to support their games.

Fuck Valkyria Chronicles on PSP and fuck Sega.

#5 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -
@Lard: That's business for ya. It's all about the money.
#6 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@albedos_shadow said:
" Well, that's depressing. Yakuza is one hell of a series. Too bad Sega can't sell the damn things. "
@Lard said:
" It's fucking Shenmue all over again.
They're still doing fine in Japan.

But yea, not the most credible information source.  If Sega can sell their Wii bombs, surely they could port Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan and 3.  A single person in the marketing department doesn't really know anything.
#7 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -

This is terrible IMO.  I mean I wish they would release the game in the Americas even with only English/French subtitles.

#8 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Madworld can sell 50,000 copies and be deemed a raging success? Cut the bullshit Sega, you're just too lazy to localize it.

#9 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Damn them, I would love to be able to play that translated from. I still long for Shemnue 3 and this would have been a good temporary fix.

#10 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Oh well, can't blame them, past Yakuzas didn't sell all that great in the West did they?

#11 Posted by Asurastrike (2166 posts) -
@Lard said:
" http://www.examiner.com/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m7d29-Yakuza-3-US-release-date-announced-Never

Earlier this evening, I was talking with a friend, Mr. Ray Almeda,  who works in the Sega marketing department, and we did some catching up and had a bit of small talk. Before our conversation ended, though, I asked him about the current status of Yakuza 3 coming stateside. He gave me a blunt answer: No Yakuza 3.

Sega fans and Yakuza fans will be saddened to know that Sega won’t be bringing Yakuza 3 stateside. The reason as to why they won’t be bringing the game over is simple: it won’t sell, he told me. They have a firm stance to believe that would be the case, too. Yakuza 2 has only sold around 40k copies in America on the PS2. The numbers for the original Yakuza aren’t much better.

The series is moderately popular in Japan and the series will stay there. With the recent announcement of Yakuza 4 coming to PS3 in the future, you can bet it won’t see release outside of Japan.

FUCK YOU SEGA! "
I think the reason Yakuza 2 didn't sell well was because they released it on PS2 2 years after the PS3 had launched. I bought Yakuza 2.
#12 Posted by CallMeRotten (229 posts) -

Sounds like bullshit to me. What's their excuse for releasing crap Sonic games again and again? did those games actually have decent sales? they've brought crap games over here before, games that nobody had interest in. Now unless they just flat out don't pay attention, the Yakuza games do have a decent following but I think they are expecting too much from it over here.

They were on the right track with the second game releasing it without English dubs, probably saved them a pretty penny too. They can do the same with Yakuza 3, take advantage of PS3 owners looking to beef up their library and the fans who enjoyed the previous Yakuza games.

#13 Posted by CSXLoser (582 posts) -

there is still a little hope

http://kotaku.com/5326900/yakuza-3-american-release-still-unconfirmed

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.