Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

YLOD Help

Avatar image for inhumanachievement
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I got the YLOD about a month ago, so I did the reflow method, and I noticed that while it was running there wasn't as much heat coming from the side of my Playstation. Then, about an hour later, it yellow lighted again. So, I reflowed again, and it was working for about an hour, and yellow lighted again. This is my third time reflowing, and I have the case off while it is running to make sure the fan is running and everything. I tried it for about five minutes to make sure everything is working right, and it pretty much is, but it just seems like it isn't dispelling as much heat out of the side as it should. The fan is running, I put Arctic Silver on the GPU and CPU, I don't see why the heat isn't being blown away from the console. After a few minutes of running, the residual heat made the PSU so hot it felt like a stove eye. Someone, please help. What is going wrong? If I try to use my Playstation before I get this fixed, I know it will just yellow light again.

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By commandercup

In general, it isn't good to have the case off of anything that has specific airflow. Although I don't know much about the PS3's internals, if the fan/s in there push air a specific direction, you don't want to have the case off for the most part as the fans lose their effectiveness (air gets redirected up and out instead of over the components and out the vents). Some components in all computers get really hot regardless, usually those components are graphics cards, but PSU's can get fairly hot as well. Unless you smell burning, high temperatures aren't usually a problem as lots of stuff is built for operation at high temperatures. (Everything I said is stuff from the PC side of things, they might not apply directly to the PS3).

That being said, any reason why you went the DIY method instead of calling up Sony? 

Hope someone else can be of more help.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @InhumanAchievement: 
    You should copy your saves onto a USB drive and buy a new PS3.
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandercup: 
    Well, with the case on, it got hot enough to yellow light again. And the way the vent is designed on the side where most of the air comes out, it would still be pushed in the correct direction. It just isn't being pushed in the right direction it seems, with the case on or off.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By commandercup
    @InhumanAchievement said:
    " @commandercup:  Well, with the case on, it got hot enough to yellow light again. And the way the vent is designed on the side where most of the air comes out, it would still be pushed in the correct direction. It just isn't being pushed in the right direction it seems, with the case on or off. "
    Well if the air isn't being pushed in the right direction, is the fan backwards? Did you ever move the fan? Or is there just not much air being pushed at all?
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandercup: 
     Well the way the notches and stuff are, there no way to put it back wrong... It just seems like not a lot of air is being pushed at all. It used to be a lot more obvious air flow, even with the case on.
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By commandercup
    @InhumanAchievement:  Well if the problem is that the fan isn't pushing a lot of air anymore, your fan is probably dead. If the PS3 still turns on and functions fine aside from the obvious heat problems, then I'd say replace the fan. I don't really know what reflowing is (just changing the thermal paste?), but if the problem is as simple as "the fan isn't pushing as much air as it used to" then the fix seems to just be to replace the fan.
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commandercup: 
    Yeah... That's what I was thinking, but I figured I'd wait and see if there was maybe another fix before I tried that since the fan is still spinning up.
    I guess I'll try that.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Rockdalf
    @InhumanAchievement said:
    " @commandercup:  Yeah... That's what I was thinking, but I figured I'd wait and see if there was maybe another fix before I tried that since the fan is still spinning up. I guess I'll try that. "
    If you value any of the data you have on your PS3, make a backup.
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rockdalf: 
    Yeah, I have backed up everything I can now...
    But it seems like when the PS3 heats up, the fan stays at the slow startup speed so it isn't enough to cool it off...
    Maybe the heat senors are faulty... I have no idea where they are though.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By chililili
    @InhumanAchievement:  Now that you have your backup if you have completely dusted and replaced the thermal paste on the system and put it back together correctly and it still does not work... then it's broken. The intense heat probably damaged a part of the motherboard or something shorted out. I do not believe that YLOD is linked to the BluRay drive problems, nothing left to do except send to Sony for repairs or buy another.
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chililili: Well I can't send it to Sony... I would have in the first place, but my warranty has already run out, and since I opened it I definitely can't send it to them.
    And it is currently working, I just know with how hot it is getting, it will just yellow light again if I leave it running for a while. It seems like the problem might be the power supply now... Not sure, but it is getting unbelievably hot pretty quick, and then the heat seems to spread from there.
    Does anybody know if this PSU is defective or if they all get too hot to touch like that on the older fat models?
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody know if this PSU is defective or if they all get too hot to touch like that on the older fat models? 

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By lego_my_eggo

You may still be able to send it in to Sony. I heave heard a lot of people who have opened there ps3 sending it in and still getting it fixed, so long as there are no obvious signs you damaged it.

After you get the YLOD can you still turn the ps3 on after it cools down? Because reflowing as i understand it is to resolder a bad connection. And if you can still turn it on then you can at least narrow it down to just a overheating problem and not a bad connection.

InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lego_My_Eggo: 
    Well I got the YLOD and I couldn't turn it on, I reflowed it, so now I can turn it on, but it is overheating,
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never mind... I tried to update and my PS3 turned off during installation. It's at the landfill right about now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.