Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

8 of the best reviewed PS4 games are re-releases

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Castiel

So I bought a PS4 about 3-4 months ago and I have to admit that I have been pretty dissapointed with the games released so far. I know that the first year of any console release is probably its weakest but as someone that have played a lot of PS3 games I'm pretty dissapointed to see that most of the best reviewed games are re-releases that I have already played and have no intention of playing again. That's why I won't be buying GTA V. V is a great game but I have already played it and no amount of upgraded grapchis or more civilian and wildlife can make me change my mind. I'm not paying for more re-releases.

But there is a bigger problem behind this; In general I think 2014 have been an extremely weak year for video games and I'm not sure why. It seems like a lot of developers haven't been ready to tackle the next generation yet which is weird considering how long the last generation lasted. You would think that developers would be itching for new hardware after such a long generation? Look at the games that have only been released on next gen consoles so far and the choice is pretty thin. What do you have other than Unity, which seems to be a mess anyway, and the few exclusives for Xbox One and PS4?

And if you look at the exclusives I really think Xbox One has had a stronger start than PS4. None of the PS4 exclusives have really grabbed me to be honest. Atleast I think Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive looks like fun games. Also before the obligatory PC master race comments invades this topic I would like to point out that stronger hardware wouldn't fix the issue I have had with this year. In general I think this have been kind of a dissappointing year for new releases. My favorite games from this year that aren't re-releases are South Park: The Stick of Truth (a last gen release only and PC), Velocity 2X, Shadow of Mordor (last + current gen) and Wolfenstein (also a last + current gen release).

So three of my favorite games this year I could just have played on PS3. Granted SoM is apparently lacking the nemesis system on last gen consoles which is a big reason to play that game, but I still feel a little disappointed that most of my favorite new releases this year I could just as well have played on PS3. In the end I guess I'm disappointed that developers really haven't embraced the new hardware yet. Hopefully 2015 will be the year that justifies the new consoles.

Anyways how do you feel about your PS4 purchase? Are you happy with the PS4 and did you own a PS3? Also what do you think of the amount of re-releases we have seen this year?

Link to Metacritics best reviewed PS4 games.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

FWIW apparently SoM is broken on last gen. I don't own a PS4 but Bloodborne will be what gets me to buy one

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

First year of consoles, not much usually hits. Remember that the platforms were still being finalized as games were developed, which doesn't only affect launch games. The PS4 actually had a ton of quality content, though, rerelease or not. Sony seemed to be banking on Destiny (with its extra stuff) like Microsoft was banking on Titanfall, but they didn't have much to fall back on. It's disappointing that Sony doesn't have a big first-party release to tide us over this holiday, but I still have 20+ games on the system already if I include PS+.

Though I'm glad I bought an Xbox One last month, since their exclusives have all been pretty great (Sunset, Forza Horizon 2, Master Chief Collection despite its busted mp, and god damn D4). Hell, even their launch games seemed a little better.

2015 will be the best year since 2007, or maybe even '98. I doubt people will be questioning their purchases by next year. I'm certainly pleased with all 3 of my new consoles.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a first year in a consoles life the last year has actually been pretty good. I never buy systems at launch because the first year is almost always full of mediocrity, but my PS4 has become my most used console of the last year, which kind of came as a surprise.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By turboman

I'm just holding onto my butt until the beginning of next year. Bloodbourne, The Witcher 3, & The Order (I think it looks cool) are coming out then and will be games that I'll probably pick up.

PS4's downloadable games line up have been killer so far, and that's what I find myself playing the most.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I get where you're coming from, but just look at the first half of next year. Early going in a generation is always rough but things are going to be getting much better over the next six months.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if the fact that there aren't as many game companies/developers around like there was at the beginning of last gen, (and even previous generations) come into play regarding this subject. Things are just different now. If you count the indie games then I'd say it's not too bad. I remember Adam Sessler talking about these consoles just after they had been announced and strongly suggested people waited about a year after release before making a decision on a purchase. We'd all have a better understanding on the direction these things were headed. I guess maybe this is one of the reasons why? Honestly the extra space between games is nice. My last gen backlog is ridiculous. I've actually beaten more games this year than I have in a single year in quite sometime.

I was gifted with an Xbox One last Christmas so I can't come from the experience of a PS4 owner, but I've been having a blast so far this gen. I really want a reason to pick up a PS4 but the games still aren't there yet (IMO). Right now it seems time I get a Wii U.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah I've had mine since release and just the other day someone pointed this out to me when asking me why i bought mine on release.. i didn't have a good answer... lol

I guess the good exclusive games are coming though... just got to wait it out.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's all personal taste, I really like the PS4, but I did not have a PS3 before so I probably enjoyed some games more because of that (infamous, last of us, killzone).

I really loved the mix of small and big games that came out thus far. Also didn't care for the exclusives that came out for the Xbox and now waiting for Bloodborne, The Order, Uncharted 4, Rime, The Tomorrow Children, Wild, The Witness and No Man's Sky. :)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011

@turboman said:

PS4's downloadable games line up have been killer so far, and that's what I find myself playing the most.

The thing is most people aren't picking up $400 machines to play little indie games, where are the big games for the PS4? All the indie games i've wanted to play run on my laptop, which is where i play most of them since Steam has them for much cheaper, I always thought the smaller games were a bonus of owning the machine not the reason to own one.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One reason I bought it last year was because I was pretty much done with the PS3 and wanted to play games on the newer console with hopefully better performance/fidelity as well as preparing for PS4-exclusive games like inFamous: Second Son. Another reason was because my friend gave me a discount on Black Flag on top of a free copy of Lego Marvel Super Heroes. I can't say I've been disappointed with the games though, even if some of my favourite experiences were from re-releases.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karkarov

This headline is all well and good but I bet you it is just as true for the Xbox One as it is for the PS4. Even if you claim the One has the best exclusives, and it does right now, two of those exclusives didn't even release until the last month or so. Wait for Bloodbourne's release and then lets see whose talking about what system and how many people say "PS4 exclusives suck".

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Castiel

@karkarov said:

This headline is all well and good but I bet you it is just as true for the Xbox One as it is for the PS4. Even if you claim the One has the best exclusives, and it does right now, two of those exclusives didn't even release until the last month or so. Wait for Bloodbourne's release and then lets see whose talking about what system and how many people say "PS4 exclusives suck".

When did I say "PS4 exclusives suck"? I said that I'm a little disappointed with the overall selection of PS4 games cause I have already played most of the best games because most of them are re-releases. But that being said, yes I definitely think One have had the slightly more interesting exclusives this year. Also I write PS4 in the headline because I own a PS4. I don't own an Xbox One. Also if you think that this is some kind of attack on Playstation, judging by your defensive tone, I can tell you that Playstation is my favorite console. I have owned, and still do, every generation of Playstation and generally tend to like PS exclusives the most. I have just been a little disappointed with its selection this year.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

For a first year in a consoles life the last year has actually been pretty good. I never buy systems at launch because the first year is almost always full of mediocrity, but my PS4 has become my most used console of the last year, which kind of came as a surprise.

totally agree

people forget about slow starts every console generation since the advent of 3D

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one, despite all the PR shit its taken, has more new games I'd rather play than the PS4, in Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, D4, and Dead Rising 3, although that's on PC but I don't have a good enough rig.

But I bought a PS4 last december, and the only (sort of exclusive in feature set only) game I've had a great time with was Shadow of Mordor. Knack, Driveclub, Second Son, LBP3? None of those do anything for me. And outside of GTA, I'm not interested in the remakes.

But, there's a lot coming. So we'll see what happens.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I guess I'm not really disappointed, but that's because I missed out on Diablo III and Last of Us, and I don't really have the necessary time/money to pick up new releases at any meaningful rate of speed. Hopefully that will change soon.

Ultimately I really like my PS4, even if I'm playing games I could've played on Steam or on the PS3. It doesn't bother me that much, and I'm really excited for what is coming up in 2015. Hopefully that will be the year that makes these new boxes count.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.