Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

A month to launch, still don't know! Ps4 or one...

MisterBigMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now I don't know what to do really, I never had a ps3, and have had a 360 since that came out in 05 and have been really happy with it and always planned on getting a one,

It's just nothing is gripping me to eventually get one, apart from titanfall I don't know anything that will grip me in

Now to be honest I haven't been keeping up with what is coming eventually for ps4 but has quantic dreams announced a new title as I played heavy rain and absolutely adored it.

Just don't want to make a mistake really, a lot lf money and I've just become a father so money is far and few between at moment

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS4 is the way to go, the list of exclusives for it is impressive.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Save your money for next Christmas and decide then. There won't be a price drop or shortage of the consoles themselves at that time.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Levio

Flip a coin. Then blame the coin for everything you don't like about the console you buy. It's a win-win-win.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By iamjohn

Sounds like you don't really want either, honestly. Perhaps you should look into saving a little more to build a PC? You could put together a nice one for roughly $700.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
    deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suggest you look up the lineup of games coming for both consoles before you let anyone sway you here. There's no need to get one immediately, either. 2014 is going to have a ton of games, but the launch lineups for both consoles are average.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bigjeffrey

"I DONT KNOW WHICH ONE" makes it on the ps4 forum.

Buy a PS4 dude, but it sounds like you don't want either right now.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jgf

If you don't know then wait at least till reviews and quick looks appear. Or if you really don't care buy the one that's cheaper.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamjohn said:

Sounds like you don't really want either, honestly. Perhaps you should look into saving a little more to build a PC? You could put together a nice one for roughly $700.

...that would last you 2 years. Top. A gaming rig is a terrible value around new console launchs. You'll get improved performance over the next 2 years with a console while a mid range PC is going to choke and stumble over the next gen games that don't give a fuck about PC optimisation.

Just pick the console your friends are playing or the one that's got the exclusives you want. I'm guessing you're better off with an Xbox One if you want to play halo 5. You'll also need it soon if you don't want to be stuck with the bad versions of multiplatform games on your 360.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrissedoff

@cynicalbuzzard said:

Actually, I think other than the impressive indie stuff they've got lined up, the PS4's exclusives are pretty lame compared to the X1's. However, I've always been of the mind that choosing systems based on exclusives is a bad idea. The PS4 is $100 cheaper, is the system that everyone is going to buy, has the indies, and of course, it also has more graffix. Without having the benefit of actually having played either of them, it seems like the PS4 is a no brainer.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Both.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Sooty
    @pyrodactyl said:

@iamjohn said:

...that would last you 2 years. Top.

People that think a PC must run every game maxed out in order to "last". That same, tired, straw man argument never seems to die.

No. If you buy smart, you will not need to replace a PC in 2 years that cost $700 or so. It will not happen. I made a GTX 470 last 3 years and it still plays 90% of games on ultra. (not including MSAA or tessellation - framerate killers)

I upgraded now because it died, otherwise I'd have kept it for a while longer. If you're happy with dropping to medium at worst, you can make a PC last a long fucking time.

Even back in 2007-2008, playing a PC game on medium still looked better than many a console versions due to the possibility of higher resolutions.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait and see until Spring when a lot of good games start to drop.

MisterBigMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think when you look at the exclusives at launch on either console, for the xbox one I don't think there is anything massively impressive, for the ps4 I am not sure if anything stands out either , now I know a launch lineup doesn't make a console (ie ps2 launch!)

It's just I would like to know of a must must buy coming in 2014, like when the. 360 came out, gears of war and mass effect was coming, ps3- killzone and uncharted was coming

Just hope something like that is coming for next year you know what I mean?

Thanks for your replies guys anyways

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterbigmack: Wait. Nothing wrong with waiting. You'll have a better idea of what you want a few months down the line.

What list of exclusives? The XB1 has more exclusives announced than the PS4.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pyrodactyl

@sooty said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

@iamjohn said:

...that would last you 2 years. Top.

People that think a PC must run every game maxed out in order to "last". That same, tired, straw man argument never seems to die.

No. If you buy smart, you will not need to replace a PC in 2 years that cost $700 or so. It will not happen. I made a GTX 470 last 3 years and it still plays 90% of games on ultra. (not including MSAA or tessellation - framerate killers)

I upgraded now because it died, otherwise I'd have kept it for a while longer. If you're happy with dropping to medium at worst, you can make a PC last a long fucking time.

Even back in 2007-2008, playing a PC game on medium still looked better than many a console versions due to the possibility of higher resolutions.

Did you take a look at the requirements for watch dogs on high? Building a PC from the ground up on those specs costs about 3 PS4s. That is the base line for this generation. Those will increase in the next 3-4 years because of more demanding games. Optimisation on consoles will take care of that problem but you'll need a new card on PC to keep up.

Building a PC in the second half of the generation is a much better idea. Now is about the worst time to buy PC hardware.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Castiel
    Loading Video...

Kevin Butler knows the answer.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By leinad44

Neither, I have never bought a console on launch. Gonna wait 6 months, I have a backlog of games to work through.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@castiel: I miss Kevin Butler commercials. I wish that whole nonsense hadn't happened, as I would love to see a Kevin Butler commercial for the PS4 launch.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think it's gonna be slim pickings for a while on the next gen releases. If nothing but Titanfall seems interesting to you you might as well buy the 360 version barring it being a ported disaster.

Either way the sensible thing to do is to wait it out and not buy anything at launch.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterbigmack: Wait. Nothing wrong with waiting. You'll have a better idea of what you want a few months down the line.

@cynicalbuzzard said:

What list of exclusives? The XB1 has more exclusives announced than the PS4.

Here's one article on it.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If you don't know, I recommend waiting a year until the verdicts come in.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I built a gaming PC with the knowledge that I'd pick up a next gen console in a year or so. It's expensive, sure, but it's fun to build a PC.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Maybe just wait and see how it turns out before committing to either one. I'm sure plenty of people are doing just that.

MisterBigMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MisterBigMack

Haha I thought a couple times about waiting as well, it's just I'm a sucker for getting the console at launch, I believe when I choose 360 when it came out in 05, for the following 7-8 years I chose the right platform, honestly though I don't know if I feel the same about the xbox one, I know kinect targets a certain audience and yes I did buy a kinect when it came out and yes it was a laugh on kinect adventures and sports, but only with family....which is a very small time to play, ie Xmas and that's about it!

Plus the entertainment side of things, were you can switch between your tv and your console? In the uk we have sky and I can't afford that at all so there is no way I will benefit that so I don't really mike what I am paying the £425 for!

Which is why the question (which hadn't entered my mind before!): why not get a ps4?

I dunno, just needed some clarification on getting the ps4 was the best bet, but I maybe should wait...

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nOne

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with just about everyone in this thread: wait.

Launch games mostly suck. The consoles' respective networks are going to be swamped and slower than death. I guarantee some consoles are going to be straight-up busted a la the RRod and YLoD. Let the thousands of suckers who pre-ordered do the quality testing the console developers obviously aren't doing for you. It's about time this industry learned that they don't deserve your hard earned money for unfinished products.

corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a 3DS in the meantime.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.