Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

A small warning to any new ps4 user.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

If you're subscribe to a service off of psn. The console has a auto renew system where it automatically takes money out of your account. Since I was subscribe to psn plus it took 10 bucks out of my account. Now when I first got the console I don't remember it asking me if I wanted auto renewal on. So now I've got it turned off and I'm going to remove my debit card information. I've heard stories where it still took money off of your account when it was off. 10 bucks isn't a big deal at all to me, but I don't like Sony dipping into my account.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I really dislike auto-renewal. Well, I don't dislike auto-renewal itself, I dislike the fact that nearly everything ever has it set to " on " by default. I feel like that should totally be something you have to go in and switch on yourself. It's usually not much trouble to turn it off, but still.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike auto-renewal. Well, I don't dislike auto-renewal itself, I dislike the fact that nearly everything ever has it set to " on " by default. I feel like that should totally be something you have to go in and switch on yourself. It's usually not much trouble to turn it off, but still.

Yeah I hate that aswell. The money I had in my account that wasn't much. I was going to use to buy Strider off of psn, but since it auto renewed my psn plus I got to go buy a psn card. I feel sorry for anyone that's subscribe to abunch of services off of psn, and then having a good chuck of their money taking out without them being aware of it until the last minute.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

While I agree that auto renewal should be off by default I'm pretty sure the emails they send to notify you of your purchase of PS Plus do say that it will auto renew unless you turn it off or used a prepaid card.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I agree that auto renewal should be off by default I'm pretty sure the emails they send to notify you of your purchase of PS Plus do say that it will auto renew unless you turn it off or used a prepaid card.

I don't remember seeing an Email about it. Then again I don't really check my Emails often.

fheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Remember to check the T&C guys, it's usually there in very fine print

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm so used to things auto-renewing(Netflix, Gamefly, even here on Giant Bomb) that it's not really a problem for me. I just go in and turn it off as soon as I sign up for it if I don't want it renewing(that applies to any service, not just Playstation stuff).

That being said, I do agree that it should just be off by default, or at the very least it should ask you when you sign up if you want it on or off.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darji

I like auto-renewing. Without it I would probably have forgotten it and then wonder Why I can not use a service anymore.^^ Are there services on the internet that do not do this automatically? I mean I even pay my other bills that way.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Everything auto renews these days.

EVEN LIFE.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: There is always an email even for redemption of prepaid cards but then again it could have ended up in your spam folder or your accidentally overlooked it.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: There is always an email even for redemption of prepaid cards but then again it could have ended up in your spam folder or your accidentally overlooked it.

Knowing me I could have overlooked it. I usually get tons of spam Email, but today when I just so happen to check my Email. I got two messages saying'' Thank you for your purchase'' and '' funds has been added to your account. Then I was thinking to myself like wtf is going on? That's when I remember watching a video about a guy talking about the auto renewal system for his Xbox live account.

He was basically pissed off that Microsoft was taking money from his account, even though it was off. Funny thing was I didn't think Sony would do the samething. Anyway I hope this thread can let people be aware about the system. So they won't have their money mysteriously missing. All it takes is for that auto renew system to take money out at the wrong time for somebody, and end up messing someone over.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeJerk

Sony are pretty nice and open about this kind of fine print compared to MS, unless this is a US PSN thing? Went browsing around the PS4 Japan store while it was up and running and I caught a few warnings that a few services would automatically fund itself after free-time expiration, same thing was clearly visible trying out some stuff on the European store.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ikilledthedj

Same goes for PS3 that has always auto renewed my PSN sub. If you think that's bad try and cancel you XBL membership, that used to bee a pain in the ass

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Everything has auto renew set to on nowadays. Companies want your money and want to send you shit and they will if you don't pay attention. Every time I go to pay my phone bill, the box that says if I want them to send me emails for deals, new phones, etc. is always set to on and I uncheck it.

Thanks for the heads up though, I will go take that auto-renew off of my PS4.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything has auto renew set to on nowadays. Companies want your money and want to send you shit and they will if you don't pay attention. Every time I go to pay my phone bill, the box that says if I want them to send me emails for deals, new phones, etc. is always set to on and I uncheck it.

I never understand this. Why would US people pay stuff like rent, telephone and so on by themselves? In Germany it will just be moved automatically from your account every month.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@darji said:

@awesomeusername said:

I never understand this. Why would US people pay stuff like rent, telephone and so on by themselves? In Germany it will just be moved automatically from your account every month.

Because I'd rather pay for stuff myself when I'm ready to pay for it?

A $10 renewal fee every month is fine. Whatever. Something a lot more expensive, though, is also a lot more personal, and I would rather pay for that on my own time without some larger entity reaching into my pocket to grab it.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@falserelic: you should probably read the emails it sends you warning you it's going to do that.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@darji: it's mostly something poor people do. A lot of young people work pay check to pay check due to poor life choices. Not everyone is working from a place of a few years salary saved at all times.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Buyer beware. There's no reason for companies to not automatically turn on subscriptions because that means they get $10 extra from people like the OP here who aren't paying enough attention to where their money is going. It's been this way for decades, long before the internet. If you ever get a free day/week/month of anything then step 2 is always "cancel that fucking shit" unless, you know, you want to keep paying for it.

@darji said:

@awesomeusername said:

Some people live from paycheck to paycheck and won't always have the funds to pay all their bills at the exact same time every month. That said, I haven't paid a bill manually (other than rent) in years.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RazielCuts

@darji: it's mostly something poor people do. A lot of young people work pay check to pay check due to poor life choices. Not everyone is working from a place of a few years salary saved at all times.

Oh you're delightful.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Darji

@shadowskill11 said:

I am poor as well. But In Germany you get your paycheck by the end of the month and on the first work day of the new month stuff like rent goes from your account and my phone and electric bill is due on the 15th of the month. I know exactly what I can spend during the month and at the end I almost have nothing left at all until my new paycheck. If the amount of money is not enough to pay your rent at the beginning of this month it will not be accounted for and you should contact the owner saying that you can not pay this month or a bit later.

But I guess it has something to do with US people getting payed weekly as far as I know.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By falserelic

@darji said:

@shadowskill11 said:

I am poor as well. But In Germany you get your paycheck by the end of the month and on the first work day of the new month stuff like rent goes from your account and my phone and electric bill is due on the 15th of the month. I know exactly what I can spend during the month and at the end I almost have nothing left at all until my new paycheck. If the amount of money is not enough to pay your rent at the beginning of this month it will not be accounted for and you should contact the owner saying that you can not pay this month or a bit later.

But I guess it has something to do with US people getting payed weekly as far as I know.

I didn't know it was like that in Germany. How much is minimum wage in Germany? To go without getting a paycheck at the end of the month must be tough. For me I get paid weekly and only make 7.40 an hour, its not much but its something.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@shadowskill11 said:

I didn't know it was like that in Germany. How much is minimum wage in Germany? To go without getting a paycheck at the end of the month must be tough. For me I get paid weekly and only make 7.40 an hour, its not much but its something.

here are some statistics about it for 2013:

http://www.wageindicator.org/main/salary/minimum-wage/germany

It is not far of from your 7.40. But it depends on what you do of course. As for financial support from the government you get 390 Euro each month which includes, food, electricity, phone, clothing etc + your rent. So going by this you have to pay 40-60 for phone, 50-80 for electricity and I don't know 200 for food if you are really careful.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happened to me with Music Unlimited on PS4, luckily I wasn't tight on money.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SomeJerk

Guess it should be renamed

A large warning to everybody: Read the fine print

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Title should be renamed: Warning, if you sign up for a service-remember to cancel it. Because EVERYTHING operates this way...

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's kind of amazing how something that is supposed to be convenient can be used so deviously. I feel like auto-renewal should ALWAYS be off when signing up for something but heavily advertised during the process so people that want to do it can select that box. Auto-renewal is really convenient and useful but it should be for people that are certain that they want to renew. Renewing shouldn't be assumed by the company.

When I worked at Blockbuster (I was around a couple years before its dying breath) we were promoting the online/through the mail Blockbuster services. When a customer signed up in the store they were automatically set up for auto-renewal. I made it my goal, when selling, to make sure everyone knew this and I'd offer to turn it off for them before they left the store. I had the most sales of anyone else because of this strategy and I could tell that every single person I spoke to was grateful and more willing to try it out because they knew they wouldn't be roped into something they'd forget to turn off.

Auto-renewal is good for the customers that know they like the product/service and want to save time, it has the opposite effect on someone who is unsure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.