Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Anyone else get a physically broken PS4?

• 65 results
    Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

My PS4 came today dead on arrival. Not only was it not booting up correctly it was physically damaged having Cracked and bad screws. Sony told me they wouldn't replace it and I had to take it up with Amazon. Amazon said no replacements for me and to get a refund and get back in line to try to buy a new one when they go back on sale. The packaging was fine no damage to the amazon box or the PS4 box. It was clearly damaged at manufacturing.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By spraynardtatum

It comes with a year warranty. Sony has to replace it.

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: They said it was Amazon's fault and to take it up with them. The guy actually told me this is a legal matter to take up with Amazon. Wtf right?

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Mine was fine, as far as I could tell, but I definitely thought to myself "this packaging seems really chitzy" when I was taking it out of the box. IT certainly didn't seem well protected.

The unit itself also feels a little cheap in comparison to the PS3, which felt pretty sturdy.

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Wow i did not know people are getting broken ps4.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Mine's worked so far, but the shipping box was really torn up.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vash108: did the box have the factory seal unmolested? Could it have been opened up and handled?

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yakov456: It was all sealed and package undamaged

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Oh the joys of a console release!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@vash108 said:

They said it was Amazon's fault and to take it up with them. The guy actually told me this is a legal matter to take up with Amazon. Wtf right?

WTF indeed. That dude was wrong. Sony provides an automatic 12 month manufacturer's warranty. So you may have to ship it overseas (which really sucks) but they'll fix/replace it.

For this type of huge event, companies usually bring on temp CSRs to cover the unusual load of calls, emails, etc. So there's a big chance that guy was one of them and just confused and clearly told you the wrong thing. I'd just find that warranty info, take photos of the damage, and call Sony again.

Good luck!

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vash108

@joshwent: I will try again tomorrow, just so tired of being on the phone today. If I get someone worth a damn ill cancel my RMA with amazon and ship it.

InsaneMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By InsaneMatt

@joshwent said:

@vash108 said:

They said it was Amazon's fault and to take it up with them. The guy actually told me this is a legal matter to take up with Amazon. Wtf right?

WTF indeed. That dude was wrong. Sony provides an automatic 12 month manufacturer's warranty. So you may have to ship it overseas (which really sucks) but they'll fix/replace it.

For this type of huge event, companies usually bring on temp CSRs to cover the unusual load of calls, emails, etc. So there's a big chance that guy was one of them and just confused and clearly told you the wrong thing. I'd just find that warranty info, take photos of the damage, and call Sony again.

Good luck!

Typically, the first 12 months of warranty is processed through your retailer. They will test the faulty product themselves and either replace the unit or send it to the manufacturer for repairs. In either case, they contact the manufacturer on your behalf (or to be reimbursed of the cost of the replacement unit they sent you).

After this, any remaining warranty time is processed directly through the unit's manufacturer (i.e you would have to contact them and RMA the unit to them).

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mine isn't damaged physically, but it won't boot up at all.

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vash108

@ytidrusba: Let me know if you have any better luck with Sony

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine has a screw in the back half stuck out, doesnt effect systems so far that I saw

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vash108
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh dear, those cracks must be a packaging issue. There was not much padding at all in my box. One thump of a corner on the ground, even in box could cause that. Maybe temp differences from transport doing it?

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yakov456: While it could be the case, my box showed no damage or signs that it was dropped. Also it couldn't cause my screws to be half way out. I think this is the work of them trying to rush a bunch out the door in too short of time. QA lacks and a lot of people wind up unhappy.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One way or the other it's Sony's fault, that is for sure.

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yakov456: Hell just go over to amazon and look how many 1 star reviews from people with broken consoles. The majority of them are verified owners and there is around 50.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yakov456: Yeah my Amazon box has a smashed corner, same smashed corner on PS4 box, and on same corner on PS4 which is cracked. So Amazon's fault or UPS?

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brutushayesosu: most likely ups. I have seen first hand how they handle boxes.

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brutushayesosu: Mine wasn't even smashed, did you check the back of your PS4 and are the screws in place tightly?

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Booting mine up with the Killzone disc in gave me a really weird problem where the ps4 would boot but I would get no image aside from the occasional flash of static. I took the disc out, powered down, powered back up, and it was fine. Other than that, no problems. Amazon put about a metric assload of plastic air filled things in my shipping box and it looked all right out of the box. I've had a few poorly handled packages from UPS, not much you can do aside from bring it up with whatever company you're buying from and they'll usually help (at least, that's what happened for me). I can totally understand that Amazon doesn't have any extra stock, but they really should have had a reserve stock for DOA consoles.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

That fucking blows dude, id call Sony again and tell them you want to speak with a higher up, it's total BS, if the package was undamaged then it's on Sony.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Looking at the pictures it looks like it's a packaging issue, who would have thought to put a piece of high end electronics behind some thick padding for transport eh?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vash108

@big_jon: Well that's the thing that is weird. As I said before the packaging was not damaged at all. It seems like it was packaged up and shipped like this from the manufacturer.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By musubi
    FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FLYmeatwad

My console isn't broken, but I think the headphone jack in my controller is. When I plug in my mic and try to record a voice message it says no mic is detected and then when I move the jack around until it does detect one (pull it out a little bit until I hear a crackle in the earbud) the recorded message is muffled, quiet, and essentially inaudable. Not even sure what I can do about it, can't bring the whole system back to the store I wouldn't imagine, and considering how swamped Sony is with major problems I am probably better off waiting a week or two for the big problems to be resolved before I try going through their CS. It's a bummer because I was most looking forward to doing the Twitch streaming stuff with the machine and now I can't, plus I have no way to test if the mic is broken or if it's the headphone jack, at least not without buying either a second controller or headset. But I consider myself lucky the console itself is fine, it definitely could be worse.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vash108: yeah the only thing wrong with so far is that crack.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By Tesla

That sucks guys, part of the "fun" of a console launch. I wish you all good luck in your customer service interactions. If you remain polite through the whole thing and at the right time in the conversation insist on some kind of recompense for your time and the inconvenience, you might be able to score some codes for PS+ or something for your troubles.

My console is working fine but this thread had me going over my PS4 with a flashlight just in case.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By brutushayesosu

@tesla said:

That sucks guys, part of the "fun" of a console launch. I wish you all good luck in your customer service interactions. If you remain polite through the whole thing and at the right time in the conversation insist on some kind of recompense for your time and the inconvenience, you might be able to score some codes for PS+ or something for your troubles.

My console is working fine but this thread had me going over my PS4 with a flashlight just in case.

(CSA): In this case, I'll request our inventory to send a replacement to you. They'll get back to you within 2-3 business days.

from my chat transcript earlier today. I think they're sending one out as a replacement ahead of me sending mine back so I don't have to wait. Told them it still works but I was unhappy with the condition it was in and the fact that electronics innards aren't made to handle impacts that cause cracks in the casing. Working retail myself Im sure Amazon is getting slammed with emails, etc about how these shipped.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is shipping issues, the UPS guys don't get a damn whats in packages usually so they just thrash them around.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shinjin977

Unfortunately, this is not just a console launch thing. I get shipped most of my newly release pc hardware over sea from amazon and let me tell you, i have had to shipped back my fair share of hardware pieces. Like most online retailers, amazon warehouse is a shit show. Most (if not all) warehouse employees throw packages to keep up with the pace. To prove my point, there was a thread on this very forum by a dude who works at a warehouse or some sort, asking people not to be mad at him once they get their ps4 and its broken because everyone at his job throw shit.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Lord_Xp

I didn't want to make another thread for this but I installed bf4's required HDD space and worked for a day then told me file was corrupted. So I did it all over again and once again it says file corrupted. What should I do from here?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This really sucks for you duders. I got two perfectly fine PS4's for my household. We went out with my friends and picked up a total of six PS4's on release night and none of us had any issues.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I always wonder why people order large electronic items from Amazon. There is a big chance it's gonna get fucked up in the mail and on top of it being a console launch your chances of getting a unit that isn't completely broken seems low.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael said:

I always wonder why people order large electronic items from Amazon. There is a big chance it's gonna get fucked up in the mail and on top of it being a console launch your chances of getting a unit that isn't completely broken seems low.

I agree...
    I can just imagine some FedEx/UPS guy Ace Ventura'ing the shit out of my Xbox.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By McShank

Fedex = shit

UPS = awesome.

This is my view on these 2 companies so far from what I have ordered and received. Phone box that fedex delivered was dented everywhere, luckily it had another box inside keeping it safe. UPS delivered both my TV, PC equipment, laptop and ps3 and all came perfectly fine. Helps knowing the UPS delivery guy,

Vash108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezakael: As I had said before in my example my boxes were fine, no dents on either box. But the PS4 inside was all jacked. It honestly looked like it was done at manufacturing and then just packed that way. With the rumors floating around that Chinese interns may have done this on purpose kinda makes sense to me now at least. But when I looked how everything was neatly packed and no harm to any boxes but screws were not secure and it was all cracked it seems probable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.