Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Anyone else have a trigger break?

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just discovered that my PS4 R2 trigger/button is broken. I thought it was just sticking at first, but upon further inspection, the triggers are only held by two small clips, and one of them broke on my R2 trigger. Pretty hard to play The Last of Us without it. :(

I'm hoping that this isn't a common problem. Honestly, it looks like something that could easily happen again, when you look at how little these things are supported by. I'd almost be hesitant to use semi-auto rifles in shooters like BF4 because of this, as silly as that sounds. This sucks, and I'd hate to have another one break.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope both my DS4's are going strong.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Not personally but a duder in the Shoddy PS4 Thumbstick thread complained about it I think.

Apparently there are some youtube videos that show how to fix them yourself but that may be for L1/R1 only..

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By conmulligan

No, but the right trigger on one of mine is getting real squeaky and starting to feel kind of brittle.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

On my 3rd controller because of this exact issue. The last controller lasted like 3 months for me and I'm not super hard on the triggers either.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By isomeri

No, but the right trigger on one of mine is getting real squeaky and starting to feel kind of brittle.

Same for me.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my 3rd controller because of this exact issue. The last controller lasted like 3 months for me and I'm not super hard on the triggers either.

Oh, that's brutal. I love the controller, but the build quality seems to leave a lot to be desired. I prefer the DS4 to the XBO controller, but it's hard to see the XBO's triggers breaking like this, judging by its design.

I hope that Sony at some point makes some slight changes, so we're not all going through numerous controllers.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@aquablak said:

I hope that Sony at some point makes some slight changes, so we're not all going through numerous controllers.

At least it's still under warranty so Sony is obligated to replace it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@aquablak said:

@demoskinos said:

Oh, that's brutal. I love the controller, but the build quality seems to leave a lot to be desired. I prefer the DS4 to the XBO controller, but it's hard to see the XBO's triggers breaking like this, judging by its design.

Yep. The most bizzare thing is its ALWAYS been the R2 button every time. Like, I don't get it? If the triggers were faulty then the L2's should be having issues as well.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquablak said:

There is that. It's a hassle, though, and I have to pay for the shipping to them myself, apparently, and I'll be without a controller for a couple weeks, at least, unless I buy another one. I could use my Vita as a controller, but I'm not sure how effective that'll be with The Last of Us. I don't think there's any way I'd stand a chance in Battlefield using a Vita as a controller.

Also, what happens if a controller manages to last just over a year? That would really suck. I guess DIY at that point.

It's not the end of the world or anything, but it's certainly disappointing, and it seems widespread enough for Sony to look at making some tweaks in the future. It wouldn't require much alteration to make it truly great.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My DS4 just squeaks. And gives me game claw.

Its bad enough to send me to the XBO for most cross platform games, even tho i like the PS4 otherwise.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cloudnineboya

yip just last week had to replace mine exactly the same thing happend to me that you described. at first the r2 would stick when doing inputs and started to feel lose, looked closer at the trigger and the thing was broke on one side of the hinge the crazy thing is it looks such a weak build quality its no better than the hinge you would see on a watch trap. So i have little hope that my new ds4 will last. already they feel loose when i shoggle them side to side they really do not feel solid at all which is a shame because it is a good controler. but i will not hold my breath for sony to revise this or the quality of the stick nubs and update the problem as this is one of the things that sony is bad at.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It sucks that the spring actually broke on yours. For cases when the trigger is just squeaky, you can open it up, take the little spring that gives the trigger its action and coat it in some sort of lubricant (I used di-electric grease. I would avoid using wd-40).

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquablak said:

Not if he opened it.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sucks that the spring actually broke on yours. For cases when the trigger is just squeaky, you can open it up, take the little spring that gives the trigger its action and coat it in some sort of lubricant (I used di-electric grease. I would avoid using wd-40).

It's not the spring on mine, it's one of the hinges that broke.

I haven't opened the controller, so it's still under warranty, thankfully.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquablak said:

@rongalaxy said:

Yeah, thats what I meant. Also, how do you know if it broke if you havent opened it? Could be that it's not on properly.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquablak said:

@rongalaxy said:

Yeah, thats what I meant. Also, how do you know if it broke if you havent opened it? Could be that it's not on properly.

When you pull the trigger, you can see that it's connected by two hinges. One of them is clearly broken and unattached. I'm not opening it, it's Sony's responsibility to fix this.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RonGalaxy

@aquablak said:

@rongalaxy said:

@aquablak said:

@rongalaxy said:

When you pull the trigger, you can see that it's connected by two hinges. One of them is clearly broken and unattached. I'm not opening it, it's Sony's responsibility to fix this.

Well Im not sure what your talking about anymore, because there is only one "hinge" per trigger (this is coming from me opening my own controller). When I say hinge/spring I mean there's a little metal piece that gives the trigger its springyness. Without it it would feel very lose.

For reference, is this what you're talking about (only reason I'm asking is because I'm probably misusing the word "hinge").

No Caption Provided

This isnt a DS4 trigger, but do you see the little metal piece? That's what I'm talking about. And you can't see it by pushing in the trigger and looking at the seam.

None of this really matters though. If you havent opened it then just contact sony and get a new one.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frankiebeanz
    No Caption Provided

Took a picture I have had 3 triggers break on me all the same place.It is cheaper and faster to buy a trigger off ebay than to send it to playstation. it is a problem they need to fix ASAP and acknowledge the issue.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Steadying

Yep, my right trigger broke the other day.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

@frankiebeanz said:

...it is a problem they need to fix ASAP and acknowledge the issue.

Maybe I'm not looking it the right places at the right time but has anyone pushed back at Sony regarding this? The last round of press I saw go out on the DS4 was a round of "Greatest Controller Ever?" type stories.

Will they acknowledge it if no one forces them to?

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professoress: controller is really nice just made cheap as shit and not tested for an extended period of time before the finalized the design.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By s-a-n-JR

The R2 trigger on one of mine is super squeaky.

Voysa_Reezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to send back my first DS4 for this reason. There's a spring that breaks in the triggers sometimes; I don't abuse my controllers, so it's just the design of the triggers themselves being flimsy. They sent me a whole new controller in about three days, and since the PS4 hadn't even been out a year yet, they didn't bother to ask for my receipt since it was obvious that I was under warranty.

The0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The0ry

Noticed mine is starting to break. I think it's the stem what has snapped as it is no longer straight.

Will taking the spring out fix this? If not can you buy triggers?

blakdeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those with squeaky L2/R2 triggers, try rubbing some soft graphite on the hinges. Graphite is a dry lubricant, so it shouldn't damage the controller in any way. I applied this to my R2 trigger using a 2B graphite pencil. After a couple of applications, the squeaking went away.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By frankiebeanz

ON MY 5TH!

No Caption Provided

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

My R2 just broke about a week ago and I've since taken out the little spring and it works better than before but it is very sensitive. I do have 5 replacement triggers coming hopefully soon from Ebay, however. Guess on Black Friday I should probably buy another controller since they'll be cheaper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.