Anyone else's fan gets really loud?

#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

It seems like my ps4 fans get rather loud when playing killzone and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It seems like it picks up more and more then it dies down a bit. But it still seems noticeably louder compared to, say, my ps3.

There's plenty of ventilation space, it in the open and everything, really I'm not sure what's wrong. Hopefully I don't have a defective drive or fan or something.

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

What kind of PS3 you have?

Also this doesn't sound like a problem if the fans die down and spin up again, those sounds like typical functions of a device that is trying to keep a set temperature.

#3 Posted by Aviar (427 posts) -

I can't even hear the fans in my ps4. That definitely doesn't sound right. Do you have it in an enclosed cabinet or something?

#4 Edited by Hosstile17 (763 posts) -

My fans rev up high when I first turn the system on and then quiet down after the first minute or so.

#5 Edited by Glottery (1226 posts) -

Sometimes during Killzone over here as well, but it's not constant. Don't think it has occured during any other game or application.

#6 Edited by A_E_Martin (190 posts) -

My PS4 gets loud when playing Killzone, too. I've seen others say the same thing as well. I sit about six feet away from my PS4, and I can pretty much always hear it when it's on, even through headphones. But I haven't experienced any hard-locks or anything out of the ordinary, so I have to imagine the sounds it's emitting are normal.

Incidentally, I just got a brand new super slim PS3, and that thing is even louder. Not exactly a launch Xbox 360 kind of loud, but still louder than the 60 GB fat PS3 that just conked out on me ever was.

So, dude, you need to calm down.

#7 Posted by Scroll (594 posts) -

@raven_sword: I'm pretty concerned for you right now. Get better medication.

#8 Posted by Tearhead (2162 posts) -

Seriously, dude? Either this is some kind of long con troll, or this is gonna end with you in a mental hospital because you have convinced yourself Sony sold you and only you that specific PS4 because they're out to get you.

Anyway, yea, when playing graphic intensive games the system gets hotter because it's doing more work, as a result the fans spin faster to compensate.

YOUR PS4 IS WORKING AS IT SHOULD!!!

#9 Edited by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

@colourful_hippie: I have a ps3 slim.

The fans didn't seem to rev up as much during BF 4, but that's a digital version. So not sure if that would make a difference ?

There's one particular level of kill zone, the dead, that revs it up a lot. But I noticed it during another level.

#10 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

You have made so many threads about all of the thing that you think are destroying your PS4 and, since you seem to be using it still, none of them have. Calm down, duder.

#11 Posted by EdgeKasey (132 posts) -

I have yet to hear my ps4...but then I have yet to play it much either lol

#12 Posted by flippyandnod (383 posts) -

The fans in my PS4 only spin up to even audible when running Killzone. But they are never loud.

#13 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

@scroll: I have to see how this one is working first, kinda just started it. I go back to my doctor in about 2 weeks.

#14 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -
#15 Edited by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

The PS4 is designed to adjust fan usage as needed on the fly. When playing 64 player conquest on Battlefield 4 matches my Ps4 fans will get decently loud for a few minutes and then simmer back down to a low hum. Its normal and its the way the system was designed to have variable fan speeds that adjust to what the system is doing.

Now if you're idling on the dashboard and your fans are going ape shit THEN you might have a overheating problem but if it is doing it in game you're fine that is the way the system was designed. Also, calm the fuck down dude you're going to give yourself a mental breakdown over stressing this ps4 nonsense.

#16 Posted by Humanity (9063 posts) -

You should add "if you know what I mean" to the thread title.

#17 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

@a_e_martin: would it lock up if it was overheating?

That tends to be one of the likely scenarios if your console is running too hot and you having a PS3 slim makes even more sense because those things can probably run quieter than a PS4.

Are you just being treated for anxiety because it sounds like you have some level of OCD considering how similar you act like a personal friend of mine who has it and you seem to be obsessing over your PS4 to an abnormal degree?

#18 Edited by BoOzak (908 posts) -

The fans are loud once I start up a game and then it dies down. The only time my console locks up is when I use netflix for some weird reason. Otherwise it's fine. I would still say it's louder than my PS3 though. (it's a non-launch 80gig chunky)

#19 Posted by kadash299 (279 posts) -

It seems like my ps4 fans get rather loud when playing killzone and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It seems like it picks up more and more then it dies down a bit. But it still seems noticeably louder compared to, say, my ps3.

There's plenty of ventilation space, it in the open and everything, really I'm not sure what's wrong. Hopefully I don't have a defective drive or fan or something.

STOP POSTING ABOUT YOUR PS4 DUDE

ITS NOT DYING

ITS BRAND NEW

ITS NOT EXPLODING

ITS NOT ON FIRE

YOURE NOT DEAD

EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY

#20 Edited by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

@colourful_hippie: yup, I have OCD as we'll. anxiety and OCD are kind of bed fellows. You a lot of times have the other when you have one.

#21 Edited by Jay_Ray (1082 posts) -

Duder, if your PS4 overheats the machine shuts it self off to prevent damage. If it plays games then it is running as intended.

#22 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I can't hear my PS4 over my sound system at a modest volume, but it definitely is not a particularly quiet machine when it comes to the fans. Nowhere near as loud as the fat PS3s though. (this is when gaming)

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

@sooty: You actually come out of your ivory PC tower and mingle with the console plebs? =p

#24 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@sooty: You actually come out of your ivory PC tower and mingle with the console plebs? =p

It is the sexiest Netflix machine I've ever owned. (unfortunately that is all I've used it for lately...)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.