Anyone going to play Japanese games on their PS4?

#1 Posted by lun49gameon (152 posts) -

So the japanese launch of the ps4 is almost upon us, and while we in the U.S. got it first our Japanese friends get more games. The only game I am interested in is the Yakuza game. I don't know japanese and have never played a yakuza game but they have always looked interesting. I also saw that there is an exclusive sudoku game for ps4 for those that are interested. I did read an article telling me how I have to make a Japanese psn account and have a japanese credit card or psn card. The recommended place to buy the psn cards is Play Asia.

You can switch to your U.S. account to continue downloading the games and play them from that account.

#2 Edited by lun49gameon (152 posts) -

Forgot to add that you can also receive a free 3 month ps plus trial. Here's a handy video to help in making the psn account for those who cant read japanese.

#3 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1089 posts) -

Buying a dialog heavy Japanese game like Yakuza sounds like a poor thing to do if you don't understand the language.

#4 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@lun49gameon: Playing Yakuza without knowing Japanese can really be a pain. It is not only about understanding the story but also the mechanics, the goals and a ton of side stuff. There are much easier games to play in Japanese. Even RPGS like FFXIII.

#5 Edited by Fierrze (174 posts) -

Only if they don't bring Deep Down over here to the west. I wan't to know what that game is.

#6 Posted by Galadan (39 posts) -

The kinds of games I would be interested to play would require me to understand Japanese, so unfortunately not. But perhaps this could give me some incentive to try to learn. With heavy emphasis on try. I haven't learned a new language in twenty years. I took french fifteen years ago, but as I say, haven't learned a new language in twenty.

Does anyone have tips about good resources for learning Japanese?

#7 Edited by SomeJerk (3388 posts) -

The gameplay I've experienced in the Vita Ishin freebie has made me interested in grabbing the PS4 version, despite my poor knowledge of the language and holy crap all the kanji in it. But I don't know, maybe better off waiting and praying for a 2014 localization to happen. Even if only text, I would be very happy, satisfied in fact. Atlus or Sony.

@galadan:I've had http://livemocha.com and http://www.mlcjapanese.co.jp/ on my bookmarks for use when the paperwork nightmare that is life gives me a long enough break to start studying Japanese for the first time in 15 years. Also handy are these cheap little travel books with phrases and words, and surrounding yourself with (proper) spoken Japanese, in my case it's watching a ton of nicovideo (espec live streams).

#8 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

I'm sure I would, if I hadn't have to jump through hoops to get onto the storefront. But alas, I'm not going to open up a Japanese PSN account and buy Japanese PSN cards. If they want my money, they make the effort to open the gates to their marketplace to my regular account.

#9 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

@galadan said:

The kinds of games I would be interested to play would require me to understand Japanese, so unfortunately not. But perhaps this could give me some incentive to try to learn. With heavy emphasis on try. I haven't learned a new language in twenty years. I took french fifteen years ago, but as I say, haven't learned a new language in twenty.

Here is this handy page that @video_game_king put together a while back.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/japanese-learning-thread-perhaps-official-in-some--542430/

#10 Posted by Galadan (39 posts) -
#11 Edited by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

In "ye olde days", importing was important because a large bulk of libraries stayed where they were made. Today, this is much less of an issue so I doubt very much I would ever buy let alone play a game that was only released in one region.

That said, I've always been a a champion of "open stores" and "region free systems" where as long as you follow the rules for the locale, you should be able to buy any digital version of a game and run it. If a Japanese game has no English localization and you want to buy it, you should be free to do it as long as you can fulfill the purchase.

#12 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@galadan said:

If you only want to learn a language especially Japanese for playing games and watching anime etc. You are in for a serious surprise because this will not work. Learning Japanese and especially reading game text requires a ton of work. Especially with a historical game like Ishin.

#13 Posted by Fattony12000 (7558 posts) -

#14 Posted by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

I'm almost certain to pick up a few over the lifetime of the console, particularly if any Japanese-only shoot-'em-ups get released for the PS4. But I'm probably more likely to buy them on disc rather than digital since there's less hassle with buying points cards and such involved.

If there's something that I really want that's digital-only, I'll still probably go through the hoops to do it, but it'd be my last resort.

#15 Edited by kadaju86 (25 posts) -

Considering I am currently in Japan and have a pre-order on the system as well as Ryu ga gotoku Ishin, most definitely :P Main reason I've waited so long is that I want the O button as a confirmation button out of habit after the PS3 and Vita, otherwise I would have just imported one probably.

#16 Edited by Galadan (39 posts) -

@Darji: As I said, very much emphasis on try. But I don't know, once upon a time I learned English mainly because there were a whole lot of books that I wanted to read but which weren't translated to my native language. So it's not impossible. But it's absolutely true that learning Japanese would be a lot more difficult, and would take me years at best. But if nothing else it'll give me better insight into Japanese culture.

#17 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@galadan said:

@Darji: As I said, very much emphasis on try. But I don't know, once upon a time I learned English mainly because there were a whole lot of books that I wanted to read but which weren't translated to my native language. So it's not impossible. But it's absolutely true that learning Japanese would be a lot more difficult, and would take me years at best. But if nothing else it'll give me better insight into Japanese culture.

Learning Japanese is complete different from learning Englisch and even if you go to your study classes and learn Japanese like you did it school you will not be able to play and understand the games story. If it is fully voice acted than it is much easier but to read japanese especially in games and especially books. You constantly need a Kanjibook to look stuff up. Navigating menus and or understanding gameplay mechanics is easy but if you go into something as heavy as Yakuza you will get lost very fast. I am not saying you should not try it but do not underestimate this. The dropout rate in my University for Japanese is 70-80% and it was the most stressfull time I ever had so far.

Best way to learn while playing is to play chidren games which often use hiragana or furigana and it is way way easier.

#18 Posted by CaLe (4050 posts) -

If the games aren't just typical Japanese nonsense, sure. I'm not very hopeful considering what I've seen so far.

#19 Posted by SomeJerk (3388 posts) -

I'd import a JRPG a ways off from getting localized if it was one of my holy grails, like if they did a non-shit Phantasy Star that actually follows PS4 (a thousand years later of course) or a fifth Star Ocean.

Only.

Because the amount of kanji even in the Ishin companion for VITA puts me in despair.

#20 Edited by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

@somejerk said:

I'd import a JRPG a ways off from getting localized if it was one of my holy grails

I imported Suikoden I+II for the PSP, because those are two of my favorite JRPGs ever. My Japanese is all right when it comes to simple stuff, but I was wholly unprepared for the sorts of kanji those games threw at me. I was able to stumble through mostly because I was already familiar with the games.

#21 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3528 posts) -

I can't watch that video right now but is it pretty easy to set up an account? I think I'd like to check it out.

#22 Edited by mosdl (3258 posts) -

@extomar said:

In "ye olde days", importing was important because a large bulk of libraries stayed where they were made. Today, this is much less of an issue so I doubt very much I would ever buy let alone play a game that was only released in one region.

That said, I've always been a a champion of "open stores" and "region free systems" where as long as you follow the rules for the locale, you should be able to buy any digital version of a game and run it. If a Japanese game has no English localization and you want to buy it, you should be free to do it as long as you can fulfill the purchase.

I wonder if taxes are part of the reason for the separation - the US store pays US taxes and I bet many Japanese companies have no US presence and it would complicate things for them if they sold goods directly to US customers.

#23 Edited by Demoskinos (15131 posts) -

@irrelevantjohn: At launch yeah but give it a few months and someone will inevitablely have a translation guide up to help non Japanese speaking folks play through.

To answer the question itself yes but only once SEGA decides to release a new Hatsune Miku game.

#24 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I started playing Yakuza Ishin recently, I am not fluent but it is going okay, it's a pretty cool way to justify gaming as a learning tool as well.

#25 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1237 posts) -

Yakuza Ishin for me! My knowledge of the language is fairly bare-bones, so I'm missing a lot but catching some important things. Normally missing anything in a Yakuza game is nuts but since this is a spin off, I've justified it.

But I would never buy a main-line Yakuza game without localization, so..... Get on that Atlus USA

#26 Edited by Pazy (2601 posts) -

I ended up importing a lot of PS3 games because I, and my friends, are really into Gundam. Though I'm currently at the very, very early stages of learning Japanese (I have learned most of the Kana characters and working on particles) so maybe by the end of the generation I can import that Yakuza game (and Yakuza 5), maybe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.