Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Anyone heard about how loud this thing is?

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Microsoft have mentioned the Xbox One being "Practically silent" but I haven't heard word on the PS4. I'm convinced the thing will be loud seeing how small it is but it does have plenty of grills. Anyone heard anything about this?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SomeJerk

Without anything in the BR drive, my PS3 Slim is actually "silent". Your post inspired me to set my mic in front of my desk-stored PS3 and record it, turned up the volume a bunch on the mic channel for this:

PS3 Slim with a game in the BR drive / With an empty BR drive / Turned off
    PS3 Slim with a game in the BR drive / With an empty BR drive / Turned off

The ambience is my PC humming below the desk, and I thought that PC was the silent one! The new consoles ought to be just as silent when idling without something in the drive, computers like to rev up when they have something in the mouth also. I'll get playing some graphically heavy punishing game on my PS3 Slim while recording, will return with a new graph.

///

No, scratch game testing, my PS3 Slim needs to be played forever to rev up the fan with the way I store it on my desk. My mic amp got acting up two laps into a WipEout HD Fury test recording too so the above recording (with a very high gain set) might not have been perfectly accurate, but it does get a lot silenter without anything in the drive, that's for sure.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@krazy_kyle: we won't really know till the console launches, any hardware that's out might not be final (but they must be producing them soon) of course this is launch hardware so I won't be surprised if one batch is silent and another is loud, you never know.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I hear it sounds like a kettle at full boil an the drive sounds like a stone mason on a 3 day meth bender.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Rafaelfc

I hear it sounds like turtles having sex... simply sublime.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rafaelfc said:

I hear it sounds like turtles having sex... simply sublime.

/thread

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killercombo said:

@krazy_kyle: we won't really know till the console launches, any hardware that's out might not be final (but they must be producing them soon) of course this is launch hardware so I won't be surprised if one batch is silent and another is loud, you never know.

What he said, but also the case that they were showing at E3 and brought to the last day of the podcast didn't seem to have any of the guts in it, so I don't think that there's any way of knowing at all what the console is going to sound like.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
    You already know.
    You already know.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Won't know anything factual until we get one in our hands. This thread is useless should be locked.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lexus2jz said:

Won't know anything factual until we get one in our hands. This thread is useless should be locked.

Don't get all uppity on me boyo. I simply asked if anyone had information from Sony since we were already told by microsoft during their reveal that the xbox one is practically silent. I don't see how this thread is useless when there is the chance of information out there. Chill...

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlashDance

I have a launch PS3 and a 2006 Xbox 360.

Bring the noise, motherfuckers! I can take it!

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it depends of how much heat the thing produces and the size/quality of the fans. Pretty sure none of that info is public (it's probably not even finalised in the design yet) so there is no way of knowing.

Avatar image for internetdetective
    InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony hasn't released any information about whether or not the PS4 gives you Super Aids. Has anyone heard anything about this? Microsoft has already said that XBOX ONE only gives you regular Aids. Just wondering if anyone knew more about it. tia

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the ps4 doesn't breakdown easily, and have people turning against there family.

Loading Video...

Then the noise problem shouldn't be to much of an issue.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony hasn't released any information about whether or not the PS4 gives you Super Aids. Has anyone heard anything about this? Microsoft has already said that XBOX ONE only gives you regular Aids. Just wondering if anyone knew more about it. tia

Having a bad day?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Both the PS4 and Xbox One are using specialized system on chip CPUs. The whole reason they use those special chips is to run them cooler and probably under-clocked, so they don't need 3 fans or crazy liquid cooling systems. My guess is both system will be quiet, or quiet enough.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@falserelic: Do I really need to say what console they should have gotten lol.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife recently called our PS3 "a piece of junk" because the fan is so loud (80 GB fat model). When watching Blurays or Netflix, it's hard to hear quiet scenes over the fan. If anything, a quieter systems is something she is looking forward to in the "next generation".

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk

@jcgamer said:

My wife recently called our PS3 "a piece of junk" because the fan is so loud (80 GB fat model). When watching Blurays or Netflix, it's hard to hear quiet scenes over the fan. If anything, a quieter systems is something she is looking forward to in the "next generation".

Oh wow. This gets on my nerves also, because of how movies have been mixed recently, super quiet scenes, inaudible voices, deafening everything else.. until the music begins in the film.

I was curious how loud fat PS3s were and found this video, comparing Fat PS3, to Slim PS3, to SuperSlim PS3. Handy little thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YqFxh3xP6o

"Sorry I don't know this video service", says the text editor. DEAR ENGINEERS..

e: Wow you can hear how the PS3 Slim is inaudible even after gaming for a while. SuperSlim isn't bad either, but the fat PS3 is just super-loud

gamingmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@somejerk: That's crazy, my PS3 slim is super loud compared to that. You can easily hear it across the room when it's on the XMB and it gets even louder when you have played a game for some time.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SomeJerk

@zaccheus said:

@somejerk: That's crazy, my PS3 slim is super loud compared to that. You can easily hear it across the room when it's on the XMB and it gets even louder when you have played a game for some time.

I gotta sit in a game to actively hear it over my PC and the traffic outside, but it wont't reach close to the 50db of a conversation unless it's running a heavy game off disc for hours. Hi-spec cooling fans are not created equal and I think you got an imperfect one, like me with three of the last five graphics cards I had :<

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If it's loud despite running an APU, something has gone seriously wrong in the design department.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.