Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Anyone who works in retail how is your stock situation?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So wondering for anyone else that works in retail what is the stock situation like for your store with PS4? I ask cause im curious as to if anyone has heard anything regarding new stock. My store got just enough for preorders plus a few extras. No new stock yet. We've got 31 on order but god only knows when that shows up. Im hoping to snag a ps4 before the end of the year.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Darji

Gamestop says this:

GameStop Corp. (GME), the largest specialty retailer of video games, said its initial allocation of Sony Corp. (6758) PlayStation 4 consoles sold out and that 2.3 million customers are waiting for the devices.

Initial sales of the player exceeded its predecessor, the PlayStation 3, by more than 80 percent in the first few days, executives of the Grapevine, Texas-based chain said today on a conference call with analysts. They also anticipate a large waiting list for Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)’s Xbox One, suggesting a prolonged industry sales slump is ending.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/gamestop-says-2-3-million-customers-waiting-for-ps4.html

So I guess this situation will stay for a while. And it only launched in one region so far....

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're all sold out around me, but I feel like finding one before 2014 should be relatively easy.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

At walmart I've been hearing from my friend who works IMS that we've been getting a few trickling in here and there, but I'm not in electronics or unloading the truck so I don't know how many. Last time I walked through after clocking out there weren't any on the shelves or in the back though. So they're probably instantly going or already reserved for purchase before they get here. Hopefully it picks up in December because I'd like to use my thanksgiving voucher to get $100 off on one.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Good thing i Pre ordered!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Darji

@jimmyfenix: Yeah And I don't see this problem resolved soon then next week is Europe and in February already Japan which also need quite a few consoles as well. March or April should be easier but before? Not so much is my guess.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

@mentaldisruption: In the same boat here! Were getting a $340 bonus at my store on Dec 5th that would cover the brunt of the cost combined with the 25% off for me. Tempted to just buy a vita with that 25% if PS4's are a no show.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Judging by that Gamestop article it might be a while. I would hope you could walk into a store and buy one without trouble by the time Infamous comes out?

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's interesting how hungry people were for a "Next Gen" system. It sounds like both Sony and MS sold everything they made with a million units each and deep pool of waiting customers. Compared to previous system launches, those numbers seem really high. I know I'm sort of a lapsed gamer and I couldn't wait to get my hands on both systems...

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Gonmog

When talking to target...ask them to make sure and check in the back. i work at one, and we still have both systems just setting in the back cause the computer wont tell them to bring them to the floor, so they dont.

And i have read a few posts on feeds, that a few big chain stores have had a few people walk in and seeing piles of the systems. I would not go by gamestop alone. All the big chains bought a ton of the systems.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Yadilie

@gonmog: Your Electronics team and/or Dedicated Stocker is lazy. Go pull some EXFs already. Losing money man.

My Target sells out the day we get any new ones in. Didn't work last night so I don't know what's coming on tomorrows truck but I'd be super surprised if the 2 we were scheduled to get last night were still there when I got into work tonight. Night before we got 6 in and all were sold out the next night.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dionysis said:

It's interesting how hungry people were for a "Next Gen" system. It sounds like both Sony and MS sold everything they made with a million units each and deep pool of waiting customers. Compared to previous system launches, those numbers seem really high. I know I'm sort of a lapsed gamer and I couldn't wait to get my hands on both systems...

were they hungry? It every console I can remember always had limited stock for months. The PS2 was sold out for nearly 7 months where I live. The PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii were the same way. Stores just could keep them stocked.

Maybe people are hungry, but one thing is for sure, it seems like they have their supply problems figured out. Foxconn won't be going out of business anytime soon. Now if they could both launch with a fully functioning OS.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I wouldn't trust Gamestop for a damn thing to be in stock. All they would have is Call of Duty and Battlefield. Now if there were used PS4s for sale out there, then that is different, they would be all over that. OK, I am just trying to hold my rage in because their small space means Gamestop is pretty useless when it comes to stocking hardware. Best Buy, Walmart, Target, all got preorders and on top of that, you had lines of 50+ people who were able to get one. I would know since I went around. Got one at Target and just showed up in the morning and got one pretty quick. I just find it weird that buying games at Target or Best Buy is always a better experience than Gamestop. With that said, we know what is going on. Gamestop does have them in stock, but only if you want to buy one of their $1000 bundles. And we also know that they are holding onto anything they have for Black Friday.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

@dionysis said:

were they hungry? It every console I can remember always had limited stock for months. The PS2 was sold out for nearly 7 months where I live. The PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii were the same way. Stores just could keep them stocked.

Maybe people are hungry, but one thing is for sure, it seems like they have their supply problems figured out. Foxconn won't be going out of business anytime soon. Now if they could both launch with a fully functioning OS.

I think he does have a point. You have 2 systems launching next to each other, 2 million units and they sell out. Sure launches sold out before but initial stock was never this high. The Dreamcast sold like 200K to start, PS2 had 500K at launch. Xbox 360 was like 300K i think. So to have 2 million consoles essentially is ridiculous.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

I really didn't think they would be that short on stock. Guess I should have pre-ordered when I had the chance to turn around and sell them on ebay. Seems like people are buying them for a $200-$300 mark up.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stores that are getting stock this week won't sell them until black friday. I know people at several stores who have them are not allowed to sell them until then.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of Europe barring Paris and London: "wtf did our stock allocation numbers go down this hard?"

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

@l4wd0g said:

@dionysis said:

I think he does have a point. You have 2 systems launching next to each other, 2 million units and they sell out. Sure launches sold out before but initial stock was never this high. The Dreamcast sold like 200K to start, PS2 had 500K at launch. Xbox 360 was like 300K i think. So to have 2 million consoles essentially is ridiculous.

That is what I meant. I'm used to seeing numbers in the hundred thousands... not a one day million in two consecutive weeks. I'm curious if that will sustain itself into next year. I am surprised by the number of people I've talked to this past couple of weeks that are not only aware of the new consoles but actively looking into getting one or the other in the near future... people that I would have never guessed would have an interest...

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Despite all the talk that preordering and being a day one adopter is dumb and we should feel bad for doing so, I am certainly glad I don't have to deal with trying to find a console in stock somewhere before the good games start hitting. I can sit comfortably knowing that when infamous, Watch Dogs, and Destiny come out, I won't have to scramble to get a PS4. Plus there are all those digital and PS+ games that will release before then.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By ch3burashka

Slip me a Benny, and then we'll talk.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in El Paso Texas and you would be hard pressed to find a PS4 anywhere, however, today, I went shopping and Walmart, Target, and Best Buy all had Xbox One's.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@thehbk: There's been a number times where I've gone and grabbed a game in the morning at Best Buy or wherever only to see a line fifty deep waiting at Gamestop. Sometimes it's been like 30 minutes to an hour after I effortlessly walked in and out of wherever I bought mine. Madness.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In retrospect, I should have stuck with my pre-order. I always underestimate how obnoxious it is to deal with mass humanity.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yadilie: Well yeah, but there is backstock in all the stores around. They dont do manual pulls around here i guess. I'll do a stock check once a day when im there. It's odd. lol

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm now in the mindset where I am going to snap up a PS4 as soon as I can, and if that means uppercutting a few soccer moms on black friday so be it.

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the UK, so mine is still it its box on its pallet in here somewhere:

Roll on Friday!
    Roll on Friday!

All of 8.5 miles away from me.

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I work in retail. We took 1 pre order and have 20 or so in....so we are good to go launch day. The question is do I pick on e up or wait till there are actually games (I have an Xbox One)

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Wuddel

In europe thay say next stock comes in next year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.