Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Are you guys buying disc or digital?

• 168 results
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

How do you guys plan on buying your games on ps4? Going digital or buying on disc like we've always have before?

Honestly I'm thinking about buying all my games digitally going forward unless they're a big sale on the disc version on amazon.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Disc. The file sizes of the digital versions are way too large, and I can't share the games with friends. And I like collecting.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Basm321

It depends on the game. If it is going to last me an indefinite amount of time I will buy it digitally. For example I bought injustice digitally and will buy diablo and elder scrolls online digitally.

Games such as; thief, dragon age, ect... I will buy physically so that I can resell them when finished.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By nightriff

Disc, file sizes are crazy and I like to collect games and someday I will be able to display them all

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripelivejam

i still want the discs for console games, maybe because you're still paying as much for the download as you are for the physimal product.

but i'd be lying to myself if i said i cared about having the physical copy of PC games nowadays. difference = money spent. if i could get away with paying, say, $10 for a boxed copy of X-Com Enemy Unknown, i would in a heartbeat. pc games aren't really being released physically nowadays, either. kinda sad tbh. :(

e: sorry guess this is a more general answer. but i'd still buy the physical copies if i owned a PS4.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I'm on Xbox One, but I buy the disc versions. It's a download size, file size and price issue.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By awesomeusername

Edit: Got my PS4 and my games are digital aside from the fact that I pre-ordered Infamous: Second Son's collectors edition.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd buy digitally on my PS4 if the prices were comparable, as it stops my toddlers wrecking my discs.

However, having just picked up Knack for £21 on Ebay, as opposed to £53 on the PSN store, digital has some way to go.

I understand Sony can't blatantly undercut the High Street, as nobody would give them shelf space, but why are games so much more online, with no manufacturing, distribution or retailer's cut to pay?

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

New release titles

PS4
    Digital = £52
    Physical = £35

360/PS3
    Digital = ~£49.99
    Physical = £29.99

3DS
    Digital = £39.99
    Physical = £26.99

Not exactly a difficult choice, and one which is compounded by living in a non-VAT location meaning I shouldn't pay tax on purchases yet Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo continue to charge it meaning they take an additional 20% on games which are already more expensive than the high street equivalent.

Things get worse once you pass the new release cycle. Prices drop considerably after a couple of months, yet the digital price remains the same. The only time any significant discounting happens is during a sale, and even then prices remain at high street levels.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sticking with discs for as long as I can

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Disc, just because they are more open to competitive pricing and I can trade them in after.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I'm going all digital on my XONE.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bit of both, but if I have a choice of either with a particular game I tend to go with disc.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Depends on the type of game. If it's multiplayer focused and is I game I might come back to play a match here and there then I'll probably go digital.

Otherwise I'll go with whichever is cheaper. My main digital purchase so far was Battlefield 4 and that took forever to download and be playable to any meaningful extent so that definitely hampered my excitement about buying digitally.

chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Physical all the way, the only time I will go digital for a game is on PC with Steam.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Right now i have about 50/50 phys/digital but unless there is a sale on the psn version of the game i want the disk. I bought most of my games digitally on the ps3 and it got to be quite tedious to delete and re-download random games i felt like playing. Plus these games are all huge.

mr187uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've gone more digital of the last 6months with my 3DS-XL (1 cart out of 10 games) and PS3, so I may go the same way with my PS4.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Seppli

Pondering going all-digital. Right now I go disc for day 1 purchases and digital for sales. I feel filthy swapping discs like a 5 dollar hoe on my brand spanking new PS4.

Having a luxuriant digital library is worth it really, if you can afford it. Hell - if a day 1 purchase is more expensive, it's mostly just a 5-10 bucks difference. I'm making like five day one purchases a year tops. Yearly 25$-50$ higher cost for not having to deal with storage issues (my shelves are bound to collapse one of these days) and never swapping a disc again? Priceless.

Paupers please! (I have the cheapest-ass fibre optics internet connection money can buy, and do a 30 GB client in like an hour or less)

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wardcleaver

@seppli said:

Pondering going all-digital. Right now I go disc for day 1 purchases and digital for sales. I feel filthy swapping discs like a 5 dollar hoe on my brand spanking new PS4.

Having a luxuriant digital library is worth it really, if you can afford it. Hell - if a day 1 purchase is more expensive, it's mostly just a 5-10 bucks difference. I'm making like five day one purchases a year tops. Yearly 25$-50$ higher cost for not having to deal with storage issues (my shelves are bound to collapse one of these days) and never swapping a disc again? Priceless.

Paupers please! (I have the cheapest-ass fibre optics internet connection money can buy, and do a 30 GB client in like an hour or less)

Are you not a little worried about HDD space on the PS4? For all the reasons you listed, I would also love to go all digital. However, I worry about running out of HDD space at some point, even with cloud saves.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By strainedeyes

@wardcleaver said:

@seppli said:

Are you not a little worried about HDD space on the PS4? For all the reasons you listed, I would also love to go all digital. However, I worry about running out of HDD space at some point, even with cloud saves.

Discs still install the entire game to the HD, so either way you'll have to delete installs to free up space.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have four discs and five downloadable. 160 gigs left on the HDD...

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disc = Version 1.0(ish) of a game ready if you don't connect the machine online = The chance to play version 1.0 of a game if desired for the sake of speedruns or whatever (like duping in Dark Souls, then patching up) and collector's value, and you know how nutty these freaking collectors are.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli

@strainedeyes said:

@wardcleaver said:

@seppli said:

Discs still install the entire game to the HD, so either way you'll have to delete installs to free up space.

I rarely have more than one or two games installed at a time on my Steam Account. With how all installed games are displayed on PS4, it just shows how much more convenient an all-digital library truely is. And thanks to the new *Library Tab*, I can easily re-download and install games at a whim, without digging through my download history like on PS3 and Vita.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I wanted to go all digital, but those download sizes are just too big for my internet connection, plus that hard drive size is so small. I've got 4 disc games for my Ps4 as of right now and a few small downloadable games. It'll stay down that route for me in the foreseeable future.

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll buy disc games for single player focused titles that I pretty much play in one stretch - and then swap the disc out for the next title. I would go digital for multiplayer games where I want to hop in from time to time, like CoD or BF4. But as long as digital costs more than disc based -albeit being more restricted (resell, lend, ...)- I can't really put myself to buy digital. This has to change! E.g. I would have already bought BF4 and probably even CoD if they had a 10 euro discount on digital. Those 10 euros don't exactly hurt much, but I would feel ripped off. Thats why I'm holding back.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cloudymusic

If it's a game that I know I'll want to keep long-term, digital. If I think I might want to resell it later on or don't know whether I'll like it, disc. I'm really enjoying not having to ever hunt for discs, but it really sucks to burn $60 on a digital game that you end up hating.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to be doing a mixture of both, just like I did on my PS3 and 360. If I want something immediately I may just download it. Newer triple-A titles I tend to normally just get the disc for though. It all depends on my mood and if I want something new to play immediately.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital only.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I can escape my data cap in then digital, if not then disc.

Prolly a mix of both in reality.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gokaired

@edgekasey said:

If I can escape my data cap in then digital, if not then disc.

Prolly a mix of both in reality.

Yeah, what he said.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I go with disc, though I have bought one full game digitally.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Disc because man, file sizes are getting large and I don't want to have to dedicate 3 hours to download 40GB.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

have download 3 full games but switching to disk now since i gotta smell that box.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Discs all the way for me. While I don't buy second had games I do like the ability to trade the ones I don't use anymore. This last generation it was mainly games that were free with PS+ that I already had.

inspectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On X1 I'm going disc as of right now but when I can find my self a PS4 ( damn things are tough to find ) I will be going all digital on PlayStation

Hypemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hypemaster

So far I've been buying digital, but I'll probably start buying discs so I can sell it back on ebay after I've beaten the game and had my fair share of fun with it.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wardcleaver

@seppli said:

@strainedeyes said:

@wardcleaver said:

@seppli said:

I rarely have more than one or two games installed at a time on my Steam Account. With how all installed games are displayed on PS4, it just shows how much more convenient an all-digital library truely is. And thanks to the new *Library Tab*, I can easily re-download and install games at a whim, without digging through my download history like on PS3 and Vita.

Is Sony allowing you to re-install digital games after you delete them? If so, do you know how many times they can be deleted/re-installed?

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wardcleaver said:

@seppli said:

Yes, I understand that disc games are installed to the HDD. I was thinking that once I deleted a digital game to free up HDD space, it would be gone forever. Maybe, Sony would let me re-download it once without being charged for a new copy.

Obviously, with disc games, I can re-install those forever, or until Ninjas attack and I have to use the disc as a make-shift weapon.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strainedeyes said:

@wardcleaver said:

@seppli said:

Yes, I understand that disc games are installed to the HDD. I was thinking that once I deleted a digital game to free up HDD space, it would be gone forever. Maybe, Sony would let me re-download it once without being charged for a new copy.

Obviously, with disc games, I can re-install those forever, or until Ninjas attack and I have to use the disc as a make-shift weapon.

Yes you can re-download it. The game is tied to your account.

savepoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By savepoint

I am going all-digital this generation. I have been doing it for the most part for the past year or so and have really liked it. So as long as Sony keeps making good sales, I will have no problem sticking with all digital. And I'm not too worried about HD space as I can just re-download if I want... or just buy a larger HD.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StrainedEyes

Thanks for clarification.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Disc. I still enjoy owning something physical for games.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll still purchase a lot of physical games in the future, but there will be a lot more digital media sprinkled in there as I move forward.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Digital, because the price is much much cheaper where i'm from (even at full price) and Ps4 games can't even be found in stores yet over here.

(yes, brazil is a goddamn craphole for gaming)

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Disc for anything resembling a AAA release.

File sizes = too big.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Disc. I still have the desire to want a physical representation of the thing I bought if I'm paying upwards of $60 for it.

And for a more practical issue, even though all these games require large-ish installs, they install faster than they download. And with "500 GB" (by which I mean 408 GB) of space, that's not going to last either way. Thus, if I need to make room, I'd rather delete installs for disc games that I can get back faster than downloads, in the event that I want to play the game again.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disc is always the answer.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#48  Edited By sammo21

So far I have only gone disc because then I have the option of selling it when I am done with it or know I will never play it again. For example, if I went all digital on Knack, Call of Duty, or Killzone then I would be really pissed. Since I bought disc I sold those muggs for $40+ a piece.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zella

Almost exclusively digital, just find it less of a hassle. Only own one disc game so far, everything is has and probably will be digital. I used to sell my games but don't really anymore as I usually regret selling a game like 2 years later so this way I can just redownload them from my library.

My internet speeds are decent too so I don't mind the time it takes to download a full retail game. Stuff like preloading and play as you download help solve that kind of problem too. If I run out of space I'll just buy a new larger drive and swap it in.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm a disc man, not a fan of digital unless it's my only option. I bought Dragon's Crown on disc even though I think at the time it was on sale on PSN.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.