Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Can someone help me justify buying a PS4?

GnosisLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I worked a lot of overtime recently and a PS4 will fit comfortably into my budget. I have a PC and PS3, but I really want to play Bloodborne and Gundam Breaker 3. I can't really justify buying a console for 2 games, but I can for 4 (at least one game per $100 spent). Can anyone recommend me 2 more games that I can't get for PC? I know the Neo has been announced, but with Sony focusing on their VR platform, it doesn't look imminent.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hunkulese

I can't vouch for Knack, but all the other exclusives are at least worth a playthrough. If you really want to play Bloodborne and Gundam Break, that should be enough.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I would wait for some details about the Neo to be revealed before purchasing a PS4.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, and Persona 5 are all coming out within the next year. Uncharted 4 is arguably the best game in the series, Infamous Second Son is pretty good, and Until Dawn is great if you're into "interactive film" style games.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to say Persona 5, as that is the reason I will be getting a PS4. You could potentially throw No Man's Sky in there as well. I would probably wait for Neo details, though. if nothing else, you might get a price drop on the regular console.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Don't forget God of War eventually. Also, Sportsfriends is great with PS4 controllers for Johan Sebastian Joust.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
    omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As far as existing exclusives that you can't find on PC, other than those that you've mentioned and The Last of Us (as you have a PS3) I'd recommend considering the following three:

• Ratchet & Clank
    • Until Dawn
    • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

But if none of those are of interest and the only games you want are the two you mentioned, then I'd definitely tell you to wait on more details for the Neo to emerge. You have a PC, so recommending indie games for the PS4 is next-to pointless, even though the system is solid showcase for non-AAA games.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Uncharted 4, Persona 5, I'm hoping that new insomniac Spider-man game is (no release date yet, or any gameplay footage). Horizon Zero Dawn looks cool too.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until Dawn and Bloodborne are two exclusives that are honestly worth getting a PS4 for I think. Bloodborne is the best Souls game in my opinion, and Until Dawn is like Heavy Rain, except done really damn well with no massive plot holes. It's worth noting however that Bloodborne is locked at 30 fps unfortunately, which I feel doesn't suit the fast paced combat very well. Until Dawn is also 30 fps, but it's less of an issue given the type of game it is.

If you haven't played The Last of Us yet, then the Remastered version is definitely worth it on the PS4, the increased frame rate and 1080p makes an already amazing looking game absolutely stunning. Even if you HAVE played it, I still feel that it's worth checking out again at the very least.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I bought a PS4 solely for Bloodborne, but I ended up not loving that game as much as I'd hoped, so it wasn't worth it. However, I'm now super optimistic that Persona 5 and NieR Automata will make my PS4 pay off big time.

So I say don't buy a PS4 for Bloodborne--you can already more than get your Souls fix on PC.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Guardian is the most tempted I've been to buying a PS4, but between that, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and uhh, there was maybe another one I can't remember, I'm not sold on the idea yet.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@gnosislord:

According to wikipedia:

There are currently 46 PS4 only titles, both released and known to be in development.

For those wondering, Xbox One has 12. Of course, that's somewhat not a fair comparison, considering MS allows their first-party games to be on PC, and will be focusing their business model around that fact. Still, it's a pretty objective argument that if you have a good gaming PC, you probably shouldn't own an Xbox One.

That said, if you have friends who play on PS4 or Xbox One, that should be your real reason for buying one.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By paulmako

If you need other people justifying it, you should wait. Or at least get a bundle with a game you want.

The games and hardware will only get cheaper.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LeStephan

A couple that came to mind that I really enjoyed and nobody mentioned :

Gravity rush remastered (& soon-ish Gravity rush 2, looking very good.)

EDF 4.1

Odin sphere leithrasir

Driveclub is fucking intense, unless you dislike the drivingphysics its a real cool racing game

Helldivers

Resogun

Regarding Knack : playing on hard I totally had fun playing, theres not much it though. Great if found in bargain bin imo.

EDIT: Oh man I forgot to mention infamous second son, thats definitely a fun one, and probably pretty cheap nowadays.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Senran Kagura. You'll never play a game with a more deep and engaging story with gameplay to match.

My guilty pleasure aside, I'm of a similar mind as @paulmako where if you need external justification, you should probably wait on it or just not get one. When the thought of either getting a PS4 or getting a PC came to my mind two years ago, I went with PC because it covered all of my bases and then some since Destiny wasn't the club banger it was made to be and Metal Gear came to PC. But with that said, the games the other people have mentioned are worth looking at like Uncharted and Last of Us, and keeping an eye on upcoming games like God of War and Persona 5, but I'm personally more inclined to just play Dark Souls 3 on PC and look for a Gundam-like on Steam instead of buying another system for just one or two games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

If you need someone to motivate you to buy anything than you don't really want it. I hate these threads whenever they pop-up.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LeStephan

@bartok:@paulmako: I dont get this, the OP is just asking what other interesting exclusives the ps4 has besides bloodborne and gundam breaker to see if its worthwhile for him. Its not like he is asking anyone to actually convince him to buy the thing. The thread title is a little misrepresentative of the actual question he had though I guess.

GnosisLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot Disgaea 5 came out. That helps. Persona 5 is also coming out for PS3, but the PS4 version will probably look and play better, so I'll count that as a half. That's probably enough to make the console worthwhile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@gnosislord: It depends what kind of games you like. Generally speaking though if you already have a PC it's likely not as worth wild to get one unless you find some PS4 exclusives you really want. If you do get a PS4 you'll probably find more stuff you'll want and at a cheaper price through sales and what not.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OurSin_360

Well i would advise against it right now as like you said the neo is coming and i would wait for info on that.

As far as exclusives they arent all that worth it imo, they are all good but im not sure i would buy just for them now. Persona 5 will probably be great but who knows(its also out on ps3) and from the response to the last guardian it may not play all thay great. Bloodborne is great but nioh (at least judging by the demo) was not. Uncharted is worth getting if your already a fan but its def not the beat in series, and imfamous is worth a play if you like the first 2.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I bought one for Bloodborne and I didn't like Bloodborne.

Also, you should absolutely wait for details on the Neo. Even if you decide you don't care about the Neo and just want to get a regular PS4, you still don't want to pigeonhole yourself into regret because of impatience.

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think this is a very personal choice and decision. I personally would say Bloodborne would be enough. I got it and played it for almost an entire year (with other games inbetween). Until Dawn also was really good... Personally loved 'Everybody's Gone to the Rapture' but I know that is not an option universally shared ;)

One of the games I am still really looking forward to is Noman's Sky, but it's also coming to the PC, so if you got a good PC that might not count.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could pick up a second-hand PS4 for those two games, finish them, then sell the lot. I don't imagine something like Bloodborne has a lot of replay value to the typical player.

GunGuru777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I think bloodbornes all I need sometimes.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The Playstation 4 is what the Xbox 360 was for the last generation. Sony went out of their way to sign up a ton of developers to have console exclusives from a really diverse category of games. The best justification I can tell you for a PS4 is that you have a ton of options of what games you want to play. It has great support for AAA games and has room for small and tightly focused games that are just as fun to play. There is also a healthy ecosystem around for Vita owners with some games on cross buy and remote play capablity. PSVR is also coming down the line is also shapping up to be a great alternative to either Oculus's Touch or the Vive. I not going to just proclaim that PSVR is better than Oculus or Vive but it seems like a great entry point, from a dollar value perspective, for getting into VR. PS4 will also be getting an update soon that will give you the option for higher fidelity games. The specs are up in the air, the rumors pointed to Sony holding off at E3 because the console they had was not quite as powerful as Microsoft's announced Project Scorpio specs. All signs point to a more competative spec, but a steeper price than some were expecting. Think around $500 for this update. But at the same time, you'll be just fine with a standard PS4.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I haven't gotten one, but a lot of my friends are lapsed a generation of the PS3 and 360 and they love the PS4.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ezekiel

@laxbro19 said:

The Playstation 4 is what the Xbox 360 was for the last generation.

A total waste? I seriously think the 360 is one of the worst consoles ever made. It was out for so many years and doesn't have a single exclusive I really want. The thread author asked for games he can't play on his PC, which is what I'd look for as well when possibly investing in a console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.