Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Dat Controller Screen

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So...maybe this has got mentioned and I have missed it. However I have watched a good deal of Sony Press stuff for the PS4 (console launch, E3, Gamescom, trailers etc) and nowhere have I seen them talk about what that screen/pad is on the front of the controller and what we are going to be able to use it for. Anyone know?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@leebmx said:

So...maybe this has got mentioned and I have missed it. However I have watched a good deal of Sony Press stuff for the PS4 (console launch, E3, Gamescom, trailers etc) and nowhere have I seen them talk about what that screen/pad is on the front of the controller and what we are going to be able to use it for. Anyone know?

Im gonna guess devs will have control over it. I bet they will have it so you can input gestures and what not.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a touchpad, you can use it to navigate the menus (i think) and for text input, as shown at the start of the press conference on tuesday. As for games, i think you can use it in Killzone to swap modes on the owl thing that follows you around.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mister_V

@vuud: It's just a touchpad.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

At the beginning of the gamescom press conference, they were using it to make typing messages easier..... Although I am not sure how it could affect gameplay though...

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Its a press able button along with a touch pad. Developers have control on what its uses will be for while in game.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Will be as useful as vita touchpad

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cheers guys - although I am still a little confused. Can you do swipes on it? or is it just a push button type thing? Can it take multiple inputs? Is it like a mini lap-top mouse pad or more simple?

Is is sensitive enough to be able to move a character in a 3d environment? Or will I just be going up and down in menus?

Like I say, maybe I missed a presentation, but for something which seems to be a big new feature on their controller I haven't seen much on how it is going to be used. This is opposed to the (slightly simpler to explain) share button which has been all over.

Still can't tell if it is just a novelty or actually has some potential in games. I'm guessing that as the Xbone controller doesn't have this it won't be used for anything significant in crossplatform titles, but who knows. Sony has been very good with their messaging so far, I find it strange that this has passed me by.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@leebmx: The specs say its is capacitive two point touch pad, so more or less a smart phone touchscreen but without the screen, and the pad itself can be pushed down to act as a button. And from the few times we have seen it in action looks relatively accurate, but we wont know for sure till we actually have it in our hands. How it will be used is up to the developers, maybe in a game with magic you could assign gestures to spells and have them all at the ready rather then having only a few preset spells at the ready. And only time will tell if its a flop or adds anything meaningful to the gameplay.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@leebmx: It's a two touchpad the much like a laptop touchpad. You can click it as a button (like a Macbook) and you can swipe and whatnot. In Killzone: SF you can select your different abilities by swiping in the four cardinal directions for example. So if you take four swipes and a click that's four more inputs on the controller for devs if they need them.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By SaFt

I recall watching a video of someone playing Killzone shadow fall and the helper person said you could swipe left, right, up, down to use the helper robots different abilities or something. So i guess it also could be used as another set of buttons like the d-pad.

EDIT: Nevermind, i just saw someone else already said this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.