Did Sony underestimate demand?

• 67 results
#51 Edited by Sergio (2131 posts) -

@humanity said:

Sony decided on a date for which they could not realistically meet the demand. So faced with either selling out their stock and creating a shortage on the market, or waiting until they could produce enough units where a shortage wouldn't realistically occur they did what every profit inclined company would do and went into sales as soon as humanly possible - factory output numbers be damned.

This is ridiculous. Most people would rather have a shortage in supply than a delayed launch. Any company would do this and not just "profit inclined" companies. We can't expect them to warehouse over 3 million units (current sales with a shortage still). At what point could we expect them to launch? 4 million? 5 million?

And this doesn't simply apply to Sony, Microsoft also wasn't going to sit on a lot of units before launch.

#52 Edited by Humanity (9385 posts) -

@sergio said:

@humanity said:

Sony decided on a date for which they could not realistically meet the demand. So faced with either selling out their stock and creating a shortage on the market, or waiting until they could produce enough units where a shortage wouldn't realistically occur they did what every profit inclined company would do and went into sales as soon as humanly possible - factory output numbers be damned.

This is ridiculous. Most people would rather have a shortage in supply than a delayed launch. Any company would do this and not just "profit inclined" companies. We can't expect them to warehouse over 3 million units (current sales with a shortage still). At what point could we expect them to launch? 4 million? 5 million?

And this doesn't simply apply to Sony, Microsoft also wasn't going to sit on a lot of units before launch.

They both did it, and financially it has worked out well for them. Also any properly run company is about profit, otherwise it wouldn't be in business anymore.

#53 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Didn't this happen with the PS3 launch? They understocked new consoles or whatever?

#54 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Didn't this happen with the PS3 launch? They understocked new consoles or whatever?

I highly doubt they would understock consoles intentionally

#55 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#56 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@video_game_king: Understocked just sounds like something you would do intentionally, failed to meet demand seems much more fitting.

#57 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx:

I'd say it's more one of Sony's weaknesses with console launches, although I say this with admittedly limited data.

#59 Edited by TheCreamFilling (1225 posts) -

I work at a distribution center for a major retail chain and everyday I see dozens of Xbox Ones get shipped out, but only one or two PS4s per store.

#60 Posted by Humanity (9385 posts) -

I work at a distribution center for a major retail chain and everyday I see dozens of Xbox Ones get shipped out, but only one or two PS4s per store.

It's probably because Sony doesn't care about it's fans, or something.

#61 Posted by Cybexx (1177 posts) -

They definitely manufactured more units than they ever have before. I think PS2's were like 3-5 units per store back in 2000, at least in my area. I remember with PS3 there were maybe 10 units per average store. While with PS4 even the smaller stores seemed to start with an allocation of 25 or so units per store when pre-orders opened during E3 and that number at least doubled by the time the stores actually got their units in November.

I suspect they pushed their production lines pretty hard. Glad my plan of pre-ordering both systems during E3 and then deciding later if I wanted to cancel one worked out pretty well for me. Beats the hell out of standing in line months before release to secure a pre-order, which is what happened with PS3/Wii.

#62 Posted by DexterKid (668 posts) -

I was able to buy one today here in the UK, and it's (hopefully) due to be delivered before Christmas. So they are bringing in more stock at a decent rate.

#63 Edited by ChoboBot (155 posts) -

I was able to buy one today here in the UK, and it's (hopefully) due to be delivered before Christmas. So they are bringing in more stock at a decent rate.

Same here, I just bought my PS4 today, was checking Argos like a crazy person last night and said it was in-stock. My typing was near the speed-of-light when trying to reserve my one for a stock pick-up.

#64 Posted by Shortbreadtom (797 posts) -

As someone who lives in Europe and STILL hasn't been able to buy one from a shop, I'd say yes.

#65 Edited by DexterKid (668 posts) -

@chobobot said:

@dexterkid said:

Same here, I just bought my PS4 today, was checking Argos like a crazy person last night and said it was in-stock. My typing was near the speed-of-light when trying to reserve my one for a stock pick-up.

I've actually had multiple chances to get one the last few weeks on various sites. I kept passing on it cause I was hesitant and didn't really feel like I needed one. But I finally fell for it today and got the Killzone and PS+ card bundle from Asda.

#66 Posted by Sargon (16 posts) -

PS4s are available on Amazon right now. Unbundled.

Maybe more looking and less second guessing is in order?

Yep, anyone who really wants a PS4 can easily get one by watching Amazon for a few minutes. They have been releasing more units for sale several times per hour. As an example, in the past hour, they have put new batches of PS4's up at 7 different times. It isn't difficult to get one and there is no excuse but laziness to pay anything more than retail for a PS4 at this point. It won't be long before there are PS4's readily available on most store shelves. I think Sony has done a pretty good job keeping up with demand.

#67 Edited by RonGalaxy (3181 posts) -

Figured I'd post this here. PS4 is in stock on best buys website (<click that for the link). I have 150 dollars in best buy gift cards and this is really tempting me, but I know I need to wait. After I beat AC4 it will collect dust until Infamous comes out, and I really dont want that to happen. I want to jump in when the flow of games becomes nice and steady

Anyway, if you want one now go get it.

#68 Posted by Addfwyn (1931 posts) -

Well, even if you managed to get one right now, you can't really use it, PSN seems to be suffering xmas day woes.

#69 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Yeah seriously, PSN doesn't work for me right now.

#70 Edited by vstag (25 posts) -

I work overnights in the back at Wal-mart and we get some in every few days and they almost always still there when I leave in the morning. Every week we seem to get a larger amount and then they tend to last longer, so as far as my area goes there not hard to get if your looking for one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.