Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Digital or Disc?

• 68 results
    nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Edited By nightriff

Poll Digital or Disc? (193 votes)

Only Digital Purchases 11%
    Only Disc Purchases 26%
    Mix of Both 62%

Which are you going to favor with these consoles?

I would like to do all digital this generation like Steam but seeing the file sizes and hearing that the download process isn't as "seamless" as they have made it out to be, I'm starting to lean towards getting all discs again (which is ok but not ideal, means I'll need another box to but all the cases). I'm a little OCD and don't want to mix unless a game is really cheap compared to the other format but even then I would rather have all digital or all discs.

Have you guys decided? What factors into your decision?

• 
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Both for me.
    Unless there's some PS4 out there with a 60.000 TB HDD in it I don't know about yet.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Both.
    Downloading 25+GB games takes some time with my shitty internet, but I will do it if I don't feel like going out.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Aside from stuff that is digital only, I'm going to be going discs. I don't have slow-ass internet, but with file sizes as big as has been reported, it's still going to be faster for me to drive to the local KMart and buy a game than to download it. Plus, that 500GB hard drive in the PS4 is going to fill up quickly!

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Digital.

No sales tax. I don't know how much taxes are elsewhere but here that's one more game i can afford every 6 games i buy. Also a lot more convenient when you keep jumping between games as much as i do.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd love to go all digital this time around, luckily I don't have to deal with bandwidth caps and my internet speed is pretty good. I know the HD will fill up quickly, but I'll treat it like it's my PC- I never have more than a few games installed at one time.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Disc is almost always going to be cheaper. So I'll be sticking to Disc. I'll be using digital for digital only games, PSN freebies and any particularly good sales, but I'll be sticking to disc in most cases where it's an option.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went mostly digital late this gen with Day One Digital on psn.....but the higher size of games and wanting something to put on the shelf is gonna make me go mostly disk for a while.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

It's going to depend a lot on how long I expect to be playing the game. If I knew there was going to be a PS4 x-com game, I'd get that digital because why trade in something like that.

Something like Assassin's creed though, where there's a good chance I'll only play for a couple months...sticking with the disc.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For launch I'm going disc because I don't trust Sony to have a stable online infrastructure on launch day. After that I'll probably go digital only.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By devilzrule27

I still prefer owning a physical copy of any form of media i buy. Only digital games I own are the PSN stuff and the free games I get with PS+. Oh and obviously he PC games that I can't get on disc anymore because companies suck.

bmehlers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By bmehlers

@mattyftm said:

Disc is almost always going to be cheaper. So I'll be sticking to Disc. I'll be using digital for digital only games, PSN freebies and any particularly good sales, but I'll be sticking to disc in most cases where it's an option.

This. I am pretty behind when it comes to playing current releases, so I usually buy most games months later for less than $30 on Amazon. Digital prices do not drop nearly as fast as disc, if they drop at all. If they want people to buy digital, make it cheaper than disc.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I've got a 60GB per month data cap, so on PS4 & Xbox One, I'll be going disc whenever I have the option.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be doing both just like this generation, although I am starting to go more digital. I have boxes and boxes of old PSOne game and PS2 and original Xbox games. While I do like to collect the games, they just start taking up so much space.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I plan on going all digital this gen(except 3DS and maybe WiiU since I'm not sure if Nintendo actually understands the internet yet). It's a combination of the convenience factor and I'm so done with physical media and the space it takes up.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'll get the disc usually. If something that I own comes up on PS+ then I'll probably hand off my disc to a friend. They usually get their systems 2 or 3 years after me so it'll be fresh for them.

On Vita I have one cart (P4G) and I plan on making the rest digital so that I can have my entire collection accessible at once.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As long as there continues to be no tax on PSN, I'll probably stick with that. It saves be about $8 on a new game. I also don't trade in games anyway, so there isn't much of an advantage to having discs for me.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's healthy to mix them especially older games, but you'd be surprised how quickly you can fill up digital space. I'll probably get limited/special editions for discs.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love nothing more than to go all-digital. Unfortunately, my internet is horribly slow (Last of Us took TWO AND A HALF DAYS to download).

I'm going to go digital when I can, but I can't see it working all the time.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

If it weren't for the 50+ GB sizes, I probably would go 100% digital, but instead I'll probably go with a mix of digital (especially if/when preloading is available) and discs.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I would love to say all digital, but considering what happened with the PSN version of GTA V, I have to admit I'm wary of the whole process despite totally fine version of every PS+ game I've received, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us. Not having to pay a sales tax is nice too although I doubt that lasts for much longer (across the internet in general not just PSN).

Interestingly, I also had problems with Max Payne 3 but I've heard that game had some serious bug issues on disc, too, so I'm not willing to say Rockstar has a digital problem. But GTA V certainly does.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All digital is a pipe dream right now.

Games are too big, hard drives are too small, and streaming has too much latency.

Digital and physical

Avatar image for deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac
    deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to go all digital, but I think itll be a mix for now.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Ever since my 1 year old son chewed the shit out of my Last of Us disc, I've been leaning more towards digital.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Two things prevent me from going all-digital. First is my lack of faith that Sony can speed up the abysmal download speeds that PSN currently has. Who knows, it may happen, but I won't assume anything about the speed of their service. Second, I just recently had a bandwidth cap added by my ISP (in an area where congestion shouldn't even be a problem, but I digress). Downloading 40+ GB files on a regular basis will chew through that cap way too quickly. If these two concerns weren't an issue, I would have no problems downloading all my games.

I have some concerns with this all-digital future everyone's talking about. Download speeds aren't climbing as fast as file sizes are, meaning we're quickly approaching the point where even the fastest connections are looking at several hours to download even one game. Combine that with the ever-increasing number of ISPs instituting bandwidth caps (another huge block to forward progress) and it's hard to see how all-digital is going to happen anytime soon.

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'd love to go fully digital, however I'm concerned about harddisk space as well as pricing. The online store I usually buy from offers new games for very cheap, a lot of stuff in the PS store is quite a bit more expensive. My hope is they take enough lessons from Steam with daily or at least weekly sales.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Nodima

PSN does have weekly and monthly sales, especially for Plus members. There are a ton of discounts up right now plus the $10 back for every $50 spent promotion going all month. Sony's been excellent about their perks; I always find the MoneySaver break down on Kotaku dramatic. I can't believe Microsoft, for how robust their Live service is touted as being, still isn't competing with Plus in any relevant way.

Playstation Plus (Spend $50, get $10 back on PSN through Oct. 29)P

• FREE Poker Night 2P

Ultimate Plus Editions (Game with all DLC)6P

• Crysis 3 $26.94P
    • Dead Space 3 $37.44P
    • Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist $56.69P
    • Resident Evil 6 $19.597P
    • Need for Speed Most Wanted $36.74P
    • Prototype 2 $37.79P

Other Plus SalesP

• Bionic Commando Rearmed $3.49P
    • Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 $3.498P
    • Capcom Arcade Cabinet All-In $10.49P
    • Devil May Cry HD Collection $10.49P
    • Draw Slasher $2.79P
    • Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles Of Mystara $5.24P
    • Final Fight Double Impact $3.49P
    • Okami HD $6.9991011P
    • Remember Me $13.99P
    • Remember Me Combo Lab Pack $1.39P
    • Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City $10.49P
    • Resident Evil® Operation Raccoon City Echo Six Expansion Pack 1 $3.49P
    • Resident Evil® Operation Raccoon City Echo Six Expansion Pack 2 $3.49P
    • Street Fighter 3 : Third Strike Online Edition Complete Pack $9.44P
    • Street Fighter X Tekken $13.99P
    • Street Fighter X Tekken Additional Characters Pack (12 Chars) $6.99P
    • Street Fighter X Tekken SF/TK Swap Costume Complete Pack $6.29P
    • Street Fighter X Tekken SF/TK Alternate Costume Complete Pack $6.29P
    • Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix $6.29P
    • Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition $10.49P
    • Super Street Fighter IV Super Complete Alternate Costume Pack $6.29P

Xbox 360P

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

I'm a bigger fan of Digital and to be honest, I was digging the original plans Microsoft had with the XONE. Sadly, my internet is a load of garbage and can barely handle miniscule downloads on Xbox, I can't even imagine how long the 40GB download for Uncharted 3 will be. I'm glad that both Sony and Microsoft are giving us the choice to utilize physical copies.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'll go with both where it makes sense.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not a collector of boxes. I would like to go all-digital, but sometimes it is needlessly expensive here in Switzerland. I am better of getting UK-imports. On the plus side connections speeds or volume caps are not an issue.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spoonman671

I'm hoping I'll be able to get all of my games digitally. I won't know how practical that actually will be until I've had my PS4 for awhile.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disc, I do not trust digital copies of games.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was ready to go all digital until the size of games started getting out there. I have pretty fast internet but even at that I can go buy a game from a store a lot faster than it would take to download 50GBs. And it sounds like discs on both next gen systems will be mandatory installs anyways so deleting content to make room for games and reinstalling as needed will be a lot less of a headache if I just have the disc.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By notdavid

I'll mix it up, but I'll probably lean toward discs. My hard drive space is way more valuable than my physical space.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By zaccheus

Probably mostly discs. All the big games seem to cost 10€ more on PSN and there is no resale value, no thanks. Also it's probably going to be faster for me to get the disk than download 40 gigs. If they offer games cheaper and the whole play as you download thing works out I'm in. I doubt that's going to happen, the pricing seems pretty set even though it makes absolutely no sense.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Corvak

Discs where I can. Games are getting bigger, and it seems that pack-in HDDs are not. Since pricing is the same for both, i'll use discs and save the cost of a bigger HDD.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, 500GB is not much.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RonGalaxy

Gonna put a terabyte drive in the ps4 when I get one, so I should be good with downloading huge games. And they've said you can start playing when a portion of it has downloaded, which is appealing. I'll still get disc games though

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i sell my games back, so I try not to buy digital. I can only hope the PS4 is not fucking insane with its installs like the PS3. Xbox, dload and done with most demos, games,, or very short install, and restart such as system updates. PS3 took 2-3x as long just to dload, then like another 15-20 mins to unpack the files, install, reboot. It was ridiculous. Even the system updates were ungodly long. PS3 installs were just fucking awful.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

I'll take advantage of the digital sales, but I can't hide the fact that selling my old games feels like free money for some reason.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will be a mixture for me. Mainly considering the size of some of those downloads and the fact that it only comes with a 500gb hard drive. I will probably upgrade it at some point though, so will have to see.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Guesty_01

Disc. Much cheaper plus I actually have something physical that I can put on a shelf and see a collection come together.

Obviously this excludes psn only games.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Mix of both. Mostly depends on the digital cost, from my experience the Xbox on demand store is stupidly expensive compared to UK stores.

I'm going with the PS4 this time so I'm eager to see how cheap (or expensive) the PSN store will be for full retail games.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Both. I still want to have discs so when i flick though the binder i know what i have and also with the file sizes of next gen games that 500GB HDD will fill up real quick. Also retail will still be cheaper that downloadable and I don't want to pay too much for games especially if they're digital. I really hope Steam like sales occur for next gen consoles as that's a good way to adopt digital more.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SomeJerk

I'm going to buy digital of overseas releases so I won't have to wait or import a physical, but in general, no thanks.

I live in Sweden, you can guess the quality of my internets and non-existent download limits. I'm not going to do even an intelligent per-stage download of a digitally purchased game unless I have to. 50 gigs at 100 megabit per second still takes a while.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By morningstar

Disc if available.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@mattyftm said:

Yeeeeeup.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prepared to go all digital but it all depends if they actually try to compete with retail pricing. I'm sure it's been said but just as an example GTA in the UK was £34 on Amazon and £49 in PSN.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like being able to own disc games because I can trade them in. Plus I can physically organize my stuff. But I'm definitely going to be more digital than I was on the ps3.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If it's a brand new 60 dollar game I don't think there's any chance I'd buy it digital unless they cooked up some sort of bonus for doing so. There are a lot of advantages to buying physical, and I don't think the advantages of digital media stack up. Buying digital games just seems short sighted to me.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still will mostly buy disc but if the deal is good i'll go digital.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.