Disc Drive Noisy/Humming for Everyone?

#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Installing Need for Speed Rivals and Killzone Shadow Fall off disc, I can't help but find my PS4's disc drive disturbingly noisy. It's humming. The box is vibrating a bit. After playing the digital version of BF4 all day yesterday in nigh absolute quiet, it's feels pretty wierd to me. It has me a little worried too. Might I have a bad drive in my PS4? Note: After installing, it's as quiet as a churchmouse again.

Is everybody's BluRay drive noisy/humming during installs? Is it as noisy watching BluRay movies?

#3 Edited by dawnclover (104 posts) -
#4 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@seppli: It happened to me too, here's my post: http://www.giantbomb.com/need-for-speed-rivals/3030-42584/forums/ps4-disc-drive-noise-with-need-for-speed-rivals-1462400/#3

After cleaning the (spotless and fresh out of the box, mind you) disc, it stopped doing that noise. Check the video and see if that's the noise you hear. Also note that mine only did that during disc boot up, it would go quiet afterwards. Good luck.

I can't quitee make it out in your video, but yes, kinda similar. A entirely too loud feeling humm during installs. I usually have headphones on, so I don't really notice any noises it makes otherwise (nor the gamepad speaker).

#5 Posted by HadesTimes (804 posts) -

Yeah, I think that is the PS4's way of telling you the disc is dirty. Because mine did that too until I cleaned the disc.

#6 Posted by Sterling (2273 posts) -

Yes, they all make that noise when doing the caching. Then it stops after about 5-10 minutes, and doesn't spin again until the next time you start the game. But it is not really that loud. Unless you are sitting right next to it.

#7 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Must try out a BluRay later tonight. Can't be that noisy watching a movie.

#8 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

Mine sounds like one of those rings kids get that they blow into. But only for the first few minutes. Then it's quiet.

#9 Posted by jsnyder82 (733 posts) -

@seppli: When it's loading menus and stuff it's a teeny bit noisy. But when you're just watching a video, it's about as quiet as a PS3.

#10 Posted by Jackel2072 (2260 posts) -

Yeah mine is a bit loud at first but then just spins down and everything is fine

#11 Posted by killer_meatballs (461 posts) -

It happened to me once while playing Killzone SF. It freaked me out, but went away after about a minute or so. Hasn't happened since. <Knocks on wood>

#12 Posted by Lukos (76 posts) -

Well I notice this yesterday, after installing Watch Dogs. The PS4 was downloading update patches for the game and I noticed the humming.

I picked up the console and the noise stop which makes me think the the problem may be the vibration the console does when spinning the disc, the vibration on the platform the console is make the humming noise.

The sound is quite noticeable and loud but it stop minutes after, mind you I was not in the game, I was on the downloading screen.

Today I'm going to test the cleaning solution and see if it works.

#13 Posted by Jesus_Phish (778 posts) -

Mine hums for a bit when I'm installing a game from disc or I swap game discs. It doesn't last long. I've never tried to clean the discs, mostly because they're all brand new so I didn't suspect them to be dirty.

I've thought about getting a very thin layer of foam to stick under the PS4 so it's not resting on top of wood. It might help reduce the noise but really it doesn't last long enough for it to be a problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.