Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Do consoles either work or don't work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

What I mean is, if there's a issue with the inside or someone tad of a console you own, would it be blatantly obvious and just not work. Or would it be a slow burn of damage and notice ability.

I'm asking because I have been worried that maybe my ps4 was bumped a bit too much when setting it up in my home theater, and that maybe when I used compressed air outside of the consoles disc drive area to clean dust around it, maybe dust got blown into this drive through a it's little dust flap or whatever that foam thing is outside the drive slit. (I used small bursts, though)

But my disc loaded up fine, and there doesn't seem to be big glitches and stuff, just pop in and stuff on kill zone shadow fall.

Please help ease my anxiety :(

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

If it's working just fine, there is no need to worry. :) I have a PS4 too and I'm hoping it will be as good as my PS3 which is still working years after I bought it.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jking47

This is like the third topic you have posted about this kind of thing. Just go reread the old topic when you start freaking out again.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure I'm understanding you entirely correctly, but yea, a console's functionality is fairly binary. You'll get indicators it's failing, but it won't be like some levels loading while others won't. It'll either work and glitch, or not work at all.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword

@jking47: I know, I know. Just want to make sure it's working properly.

@MirkoS77 what I meant was , I'm worried that there would be maybe something that would cause games to not look or perform as well as they should. I didn't know if it's just completely blatant when there is a issue.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: If that's what you meant, then yeah it's very obvious when you have a faulty console. Small things like in-game glitches, frame rate issues, pop ins.. etc. have nothing to do with your console malfunctioning.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

There is nothing in the PS4 user manual about cleaning it, blowing out the vents with compressed air, wiping it down with a swiffer, or anything of the other things you've been doing to it. If anything, you constantly messing with it probably increases the risk of something malfunctioning or breaking.

These consoles are designed to sit there on a shelf for years of prolonged use without any maintenance. Read the manual and rest easy, dude. You're going to give yourself a heart attack over this thing!

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I always thought that cleaning the vents was a thing that was suggested because it'll help increase air flow?

And I know, I just wasn't sure if it would gr noticeable if there was a issue.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By colourful_hippie

@raven_sword: That's something you would do with a PC, not so much a console unless you can visibly see dust clogging vents.

At the rate that you keep posting topics of needless anxiety over a console that seems to working like it should suggests that maybe you should seek help if the anxiety isn't stopping, none of my business of course but it's just a thought.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: That's something you would do with a PC, not so much a console unless you can visibly see dust clogging vents.

At the rate that you keep posting topics of needless anxiety over a console that seems to working like it should suggests that maybe you should seek help if the anxiety isn't stopping, none of my business of course but it's just a thought.

Don't listen to him. Let the anxiety flow through you!

No Caption Provided

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie:

im already taking medication for it.

ok, I just heard a few times that doing the compressed air thing was a good idea. could it even cause damage, though? and was me doing it this one times not that big of a deal? again, this is anxiety talking I think, now im worried that me doing this this one time did cause damage since you said its usualy not a good idea.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie:

im already taking medication for it.

ok, I just heard a few times that doing the compressed air thing was a good idea. could it even cause damage, though? and was me doing it this one times not that big of a deal? again, this is anxiety talking I think, now im worried that me doing this this one time did cause damage since you said its usualy not a good idea.

You're good man! You really should be a'okay on this one. I have sprayed compressed air into both my xbox 360 and ps3 in the past and they still work (the 360 is dying its slow death though).

Unless you sprayed soooo much compressed air that everything froze and left a white filmy residue you have done nothing wrong!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'd slow step back from in and call in the bomb disposal team, it's not worth risking your life over.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum:

No, im careful about making sure to not spray too long that that happens. These were short bursts.

I was more worried about what could happen if I sprayed the dust deport into the syestem.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to PCs with their very standard fans, the thing is to hold the fans down to prevent them from spinning beyond their RPM by the air from the can/hose and possibly taking damage. This may also apply to consoles, but iirc the PS4 is so well-ducted and routed this won't be a thing?

Killzone ShadowFall suffers from pop-in and textureglitches by default, don't worry.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk:

So does that mean dust can't even really enter the main board and all that by blowing air into the fans? Because the ps4 is well vented? Or I'm confused on what your saying.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: Dust will get everywhere, it only has a minimal chance of settling on the board because of how the PS4 is designed for cooling, unless we're talking the dust particles from smoking or scented humidifiers.

(The Xbox One in comparison is a wild shot taken at cooling that will get dust on the board building up bit by bit, no matter where it's stored. Shouldn't affect anything critical on the board though.)

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: so dust will probaly get everywhere even without me doing anything?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to reiterate what I said earlier....

Read the manual.

A huge team of talented engineers spent years of their lives and Sony spent hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D in order to bring you the PS4. If cleaning it or some kind of scheduled maintenance were required, it would be in the manual. It isn't.

This reminds me of a dude on the forums years ago who suffered from OCD. Every time he was finished playing a game, he used to unplug his console, wrap it in it's original plastic bag, and put it back in the box...along with the power brick and everything. Every. Single. Time. Eventually he damaged the HDMI connector on his PS3 with all of the constant plugging and unplugging of the thing and had to have it repaired by Sony at significant cost.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: so dust will probaly get everywhere even without me doing anything?

Well duh, but it won't ever accumulate to the point of damaging the system. Stop worrying

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ravensword

@mb: ok, but I just did maintenance on it, does that mean I messed it up now?

I'm sorry if this is driving you crazy, I really don't mean too , but even though I'm not going to do the compressed air thing after this, what about when I did it last night and did that one time already do damage?

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: Scroll up, and you'll find the answer to same question you already asked. You are fine, calm down. That is just your anxiety talking.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie:

Ok,

Thanks guys, appreciate it :)

Anxiety is a brutal thing. I can't tell what's in my head or what's really a problem.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: Best way to test if there is a problem is to play a game on it just like normal. If the game works, everything is fine. :)

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ravensword

@legend: yeah. I keep thinking that in game glitches and pop in is hardware related , not just that's the way the games code is.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Legend

@raven_sword: You can try a couple of different games just to put your mind at ease. :)

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grantheaslip: funny thing is, I saw a video on G4 I think back in the day. They basically slammed the consoles on concrete and hit then with bats. All of them failed even after a few drops (PS2 and xbox) but the game cube kept going. It got to the point where it literally broke in half, and the GameCube still booted up. It was insane.

I figured as tech advanced, these consoles would get more delicate as a result. Which is why I'm very OCD about it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

when my first xbox started shitting itself it started small. 1 or 2 messed up textures. polys swimming around a little. Weird garbage & noise only on some in-game surfaces. Then one day it just didn't turn on.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your system is completely ruined, just nobody else has the heart to tell you.

But seriously, it's not going to break in half because you looked at it funny. Even if it did, it's still under warranty for a long time yet, right?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: that's true. Assuming the damage is noticeable.

I'm not sure if I'll buy the extended sony warranty or not. It might be a good idea, though.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Sooty

Xbox - never once cleaned (except the outside top/front)

Xbox 360 - see above

PS3 - see above

PS4 (so far) - see above

My PC is on almost all the time, the processor and motherboard are nearly 5 years old and it has been overclocked since the day I bought it. It gets de-dusted about once or twice a year because it's on a carpet which makes dust build-up happen a helluva lot quicker.

They all work fine.

edit: Also if anything, these consoles are less delicate because they don't get as hot as the previous generation. Processors and graphics cards being more powerful doesn't mean they are less reliable as a result. My PC's processor was a big leap over all other processors when it came out, and hell it still kicks ass in modern games...but, it still works, despite being ran at high temperatures with an overclock for years. It still works.

I said this in the other thread, but whatever: Processors are meant to work for 10+ years minimum, I would imagine video cards are at least half of that. Consoles are all using the same kind of stuff found in PCs, this is even more true than ever now. If something breaks it was going to break anyway, specs of dust getting into the system will make zero difference and it's insane to think otherwise. The worst possible scenario is some dust somehow gets into the drive's laser making it sketchy at reading discs, but for you to get dust in that spot without opening the system would require some serious planning.

In closing, people have computers from the 80s that were never anally taken care of yet they still work fine. Think about that and all the working PS2s, SNES', Gamecubes and so on still out there.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: yes, but I just wasn't sure if I accidentally blew dust further into the syestem and on the motherboard and stuff .

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: Dust gets on PC boards all the time. But we only clean ours once or twice a year. Are we all flipping out? I mean, PCs have fairly exposed cases, with airflow holes all over them, what does the ps4 have? A small section of vents. Nothing is getting in there for a while.

And a good rule of thumb: if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadash299: all u did was use compressed air on the back vents.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ravensword

@sooty: and I assume this applies to game consoles as well?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope I don't sound like a dick but...what do you think? What is a console, after all?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sooty

@mb said:

@raven_sword said:

I hope I don't sound like a dick but...what do you think? What is a console, after all?

Especially since I already answered that by saying this time around consoles are even closer to PC hardware. Doh.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AC4 Black Flag experiences occassionally freezing, which I later found out was because of connectivity issues (whenever I lose internet connection it would freeze for upwards of 20 seconds). I know this happens a bit when I'm downloading something on the computer but every time I see it happen I'm always afraid it's a legitimate crash. So far though, the PS4 has been running absolutely fine.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kadash299: all u did was use compressed air on the back vents.

Exactly.

Why the fuck are you here asking this question, when all you did was use compressed air on the back vents?

calm down

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.