Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Do You Put Your PS4 into Standby, or Full Shutdown?

• 81 results
    RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Do You Put Your PS4 into Standby, or Full Shutdown? (420 votes)

Standby 59%
    Full Shutdown 40%

I recently got a ps4 and there's a new feature that lets you put your console in a low power state that is easier to come back to. But I'm so used to shutting my consoles down completely that I do the same thing with the ps4. So which one do you do? What are the pros/cons of using the standby feature?

• 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Standby. It's in my living room and the orange light is too dim to really bother me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I was able to download transistor while I was at work on the toilet by punching a button on my smartphone. Technology is awesome and standby mode is fantastic. You can also wake up the system with your PS Vita which means you can roll over grab your vita off the night stand and then play PS4 games from your bed even if your in another room. You can't do any of this without standby on and as for power the amount of power used is EXTREMELY negligible.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Full shut down, not sure why I would ever leave it in standby mode.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By ike7779

Last two months or so I've left it in full shutdown since I'm between games to play at the moment. I've been playing a lot more PS3 lately.

In a few months it will probably be back to standby while I'm juggling a few games (Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Lords of the Fallen, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Driveclub, Evil Within, The Crew, Deep Down, Last of Us) so updates and stuff can happen in the background.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By rachelepithet

I was using standby, but I saw an article saying that in standby the PS4 consumes a ridiculous amount of energy, nearly half as much as when on. So having it in standby for 24 hours would be like playing it for 6 to 12 hours. I also realized how shitty the standby features are. Patch downloads don't install. There was nothing convenient about it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#56 FinalDasa  Moderator

Full shutdown with both my PS4 and Xbox One. The lights and noise both make when in 'sleep' mode are just a bit too much for when I try and sleep.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I turn everything off when I go to bed.

I also have to physically unplug the Xbox One because even with it off I can still hear that damn fan.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A bit of both. Standby features can be great, and it's certainly handy for charging my controller. That said, I worry about leaving it on Standby constantly, so I regularly opt to shut it down properly.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Seikenfreak

@seikenfreak said:

Stand-by so it can download patches and charge controllers and, I assume, start up faster. Also remote play and those sort of features even though I don't use them that often.. yet.

PS3 (original 60gig) is also on "stand-by" per say. I'm not flicking the power switch off in the back. Been that way since I got it new and still runs like a champ. It turns itself on every day at 5 am and downloads patches, firmware updates, uploads recent save data to cloud etc. Great feature.

That button in the back controls the power supply. Flipping that switch means you're cutting power from the entire console, which is bad if it's still on (can majorly fuck up the disc drive/blu ray laser/hard drive). You might as well be unplugging the console when you switch it off that way.

The front button is just a regular power off button that properly shuts down the console, not anything like the standby feature on the ps4.

I'd still call it a stand-by feature. It seems very similar to what the PS4 is/should be doing.

I'm pretty sure you can turn the PS3 on via the internet to do remote play for the Vita (which existed before the PS4 I believe).

As others have said, it can turn itself completely on, do downloads, uploads etc, then shut itself off. If that isn't stand-by mode then I don't know what is. It's in a powered state that is not complete ON, and isn't completely powered off. The system is still functioning enough that it can turn itself on.

I'm not sure how the PS4's "stand-by" is any different? Other than maybe some nerdy Energy Star power saving junk that I don't care about.

Also no, I'm not just randomly flicking my system off with the rear power switch. I was using that to point out how to completely shut down the system.

Here. I'll even do you one better. Solid red = System off (in standby mode). Scanned from the manual for my 60 gig PS3:

No Caption Provided

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Depends. Charging a controller or downloading stuff, then standby, obviously. Otherwise I just turn it all the way off. I could leave it in standby all the time, though. The angle I'm usually at I can't see the lightbar, so it doesn't bother me or anything.

@seikenfreak said:

Stand-by so it can download patches and charge controllers and, I assume, start up faster. Also remote play and those sort of features even though I don't use them that often.. yet.

PS3 (original 60gig) is also on "stand-by" per say. I'm not flicking the power switch off in the back. Been that way since I got it new and still runs like a champ. It turns itself on every day at 5 am and downloads patches, firmware updates, uploads recent save data to cloud etc. Great feature.

That button in the back controls the power supply. Flipping that switch means you're cutting power from the entire console, which is bad if it's still on (can majorly fuck up the disc drive/blu ray laser/hard drive). You might as well be unplugging the console when you switch it off that way.

The front button is just a regular power off button that properly shuts down the console, not anything like the standby feature on the ps4.

When you press that front button on a PS3 and the red light is on, then you are in standby mode. That's why the system is able to turn itself on and get updates and stuff then. If it was shut down completely it couldn't do that. I guess the proper way to completely shut it down would be to put it into standby mode, then flick the switch in back, then unplug it.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's quite a logical reason and is mostly why I always turn mine off. Its also really bad for the environment to just leave loads of appliances on standby all the time.

Also mine doesn't seem to download anything in standby so there is really little point. I can charge the controller elsewhere.

Enuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standby because I use remote play with my vita fairly often!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

as for power the amount of power used is EXTREMELY negligible.

but I saw an article saying that in standby the PS4 consumes a ridiculous amount of energy, nearly half as much as when on. So having it in standby for 24 hours would be like playing it for 6 to 12 hours.

Which one is it guys? According to this article the PS4 runs at 8.8 Watts (10 according to Ars Technica) when in standby compared to 137 when playing a game. However it jumps to 70w if you are downloading something. So you are both kind of right.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

For some reason standby seems like the type of thing that will cause the console to wear out faster, since it's never truly off. That's my main concern with it. Kind of wish the ps4 had the ps3 feature that lets you set a time for the console to automatically turn on and get updates. That's how I would prefer to do it.

The reverse is actually true, the power up and down of a system is the most stressfull time for your PS4 and it is almost always going to develop an issue whilst doing one of those two things. I used to work for Compaq (many moons ago now) and we had machines that hadnt been turned off in 8 years still running, crazy but true.

I leave my PS4 on standby so i can buy games whilst out and get them to instantly download so i can go home and play them right away (usually when im supposed to be working), its also mega handy for updates and patches.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I learned that the PS4 takes more power on standby than my computer does when it's awake I decided to do a full shut down.

That and I find the start up times to be basically the same.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By NTM

I shut it down, but I keep the One on standby. On standby for the PS4, it turns on fast. I'll only put it on standby if something takes too long to download and I don't want to sit there with the system on.

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:

Once I learned that the PS4 takes more power on standby than my computer does when it's awake I decided to do a full shut down.

Source for this? That's insane if true.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:

You've a computer that runs on less than 10 watts?

Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
    deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full shutdown unless it's downloading a game/software update or I need to recharge the DS4. Standby and a full boot take the exact same amount of time so there's no real benefit when you've got nothing to download and your controller is charged.

Opus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Shutdown; I really don't notice the ~20 seconds it takes for a fresh start. When it's time for me to turn it off that console it's going to stay off for at least 16 hours before it's used again (excluding weekends). When compared to standby mode that sort of power draw adds up and I would rather keep that money in my pocket.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish said:

You've a computer that runs on less than 10 watts?

I dunno exactly, I just remember reading something that equated a sleeping PS4 to the common power usage of most awake computers. I can't really provide hard numbers.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluefish: What you read sounds like a lie. The PS4 uses at most 70-80 watts of power during standby while downloading things. Normal standby power usage is 10 watts.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#73  Edited By musubi

@sterling: Yeah. That is what I was thinking. The fans spin up for me when when I'm playing but on stand by its dead silent .

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: Mm, I just looked it up and you're correct. I stand corrected!

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I always fully shut it down if I am not planning on using it to download something.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally do the full power off but that's partially cause I'm living at home for the summer and my dad is kind of weird with tech "staying on" to the extent that he flicks the power switch on the back of his PC once he has powered it off. Once I'm back at university I'll probably go with standby.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full Shutdown

MKBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standby, only time i ever shut it off is to try out the Dualshock 4 with my PS3. All the features, such as preloading and Remote Play require standby mode.

Craig_Duda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only had mine a couple weeks, but so far I've been putting it in Standby if I expect to be using it again that same day or I need to charge the controller, and only turn it OFF if I'm done using it for the day and don't need to charge the controller.

dungareeshiraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how the power consumption spike of the initial power on compares to the sustained low-power usage of standby mode. I don't know anything about electricity but somehow this thought crossed my mind.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

about 50/50. it boots real fast so unless I'm expecting a download / update...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.