Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Does Buying a PS4 Pro Make Me a PlayStation Professional?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

What's up, guys? I've recently decided to pick up a PS4 Pro, and it's been a neat experience so far, so I thought I'd share.

I started this console generation thinking I would be all PC all the time. Fast forward a couple years to 2015 when I decided to buy an Xbox One and was enveloped in that warm and fuzzy feeling of console comfort that I didn't know I was missing. Now, after another couple years, I've decided to finally dive into the PlayStation ecosystem once again. My most recent experience with Sony's machines has been with my Vita, and while Persona 4 Golden is great, I didn't find myself toting that thing around for very long. As mentioned, I've decided to go with the professional version of Sony's video game parallelepiped. I figure if I'm going to buy it at this point, why not get the new one. I'm really liking the experience a lot. It provides a good alternative to the Microsoft ecosystem, with plenty of different ideas and exclusive games. Speaking of which…

The very first game I started downloading once I got my system home was none other than Horizon: Zero Dawn. It seemed like the obvious choice given it's just come out and by all accounts seems to be amazing. I like this game a lot! Surprising, I know. I do have some problems with it, but the moment to moment action is satisfying, and the world that's been built is legitimately rewarding to explore. Horizon accomplishes the difficult feat of making the data and audio logs scattered around the world feel worth reading and listening to. The way they make modern day or near-future concepts seem like ancient history to these characters is fun and interesting. I guess the one aspect of the game that feels like it's holding this back from being super engrossing is just the open world nature of it; the way it just feels a little too much like any of the Assassin's Creed or Far Cry games. It's that same formula that's become all too ubiquitous by now. The formula is executed very well here, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day it's still all the same stuff. It's really gotten me thinking about my taste in games, and whether or not I truly enjoy the current state of open world games. I mean, I can sit down and play Overwatch for several hours on a good day, no problem. Games like Horizon, though, just have a harder time keeping me engaged for those long stretches, despite a lot of quality work shining through at every turn. Makes me wonder how I'd feel about Zelda Breath of the Wild if I were to play it in the near future.

The only other game I've bought thus far has been the 2015 remake of Ratchet and Clank. Hey, that game's fun! It just feels like this frivolous, fun adventure that is the kind of silly and goofy I need when taking a break from something like Horizon. I've played some of the Ratchet and Clank games back in the day and liked them, but I never got too far into them, so this has been a nice game to dive into. Some other games I'm looking at potentially picking up soon:

• Bloodborne
    • Nioh
    • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
    • The Last Guardian
    • Yakuza 0
    • Night in the Woods
    • Uncharted 4

And…

Persona 5 of course! If I'm being real honest with myself, Persona 5 is what made me buy a PS4. I do own a PS3 (currently sitting in my parents' garage) and could have bought it for that, and at $10 cheaper, but I felt like the investment in new tech was the way to go. I'm already having a real good time with the PlayStation 4, and I'm sure once I get around to the rest of that list of games I'll be having an even better time. I really just can't wait to dive into Persona 5 come early April, though. I'd better finish Horizon before then to clear the way a bit.

Anyway, if any of you guys are on PSN and want another friend to compare trophies to or whatever, my name there is the same as it is here: JJWeatherman. I welcome any and all fellow duders.

And since I don't do too much writing here on Giant Bomb these days, I want to take this opportunity to make sure and wish Drew luck on his new endeavor, Cloth Map! It seems like the perfect thing for Drew to be doing, and as sad as I am thinking about not having him around the site, I know he'll love working on such an exciting and ambitious project. Drew, the way you've shared your many interests and passions with us over the years has seriously been an inspiration for me to go out and explore my own interests and find my own passions, so thank you for that. It was great to hear you on the last podcast, and I hope you'll keep crashing the studio on Tuesdays! Later, duder.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I went back and forth for weeks between getting a PS4 Pro or a regular PS4 because I really wanted to play Horizon and Persona 5. Ended up just getting a regular PS4 because it was $200 cheaper at the time and the difference in quality for someone with a 1080p tv didn't seem THAT big. Plus Im probably gonna get a Scorpio later this year since Xbox is where I do most of my gaming. Really happy I got one when I did because this half of the year has been great for PS4 owners. Haven't even had time to play most of my games from this year. Already beat Horizon and Im in the middle of Nier and Yakuza right now but I'll have to put those to the side again once Mass Effect drops next week. Hoping I can beat Mass Effect before Persona drops. Gaming industry has no chill, I need a breather.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Congrats on becoming a professional gamer.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup congratz, you should expect your first paycheck within 7-10 workdays. Enjoy!

Solidsnak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yes

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The should give Pro owners special user badges on their profiles like Giantbomb premium members.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko said:

The should give Pro owners special user badges on their profiles like Giantbomb premium members.

No, they really shouldn't. No one is special because they forked out more money for a Pro or yet another PS4. I know sure as hell i wouldn't want that badge.

Vastaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered: you know they are just jokeing, right? Cmon, why so grumpy?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

I went back and forth for weeks between getting a PS4 Pro or a regular PS4 because I really wanted to play Horizon and Persona 5. Ended up just getting a regular PS4 because it was $200 cheaper at the time and the difference in quality for someone with a 1080p tv didn't seem THAT big. Plus Im probably gonna get a Scorpio later this year since Xbox is where I do most of my gaming. Really happy I got one when I did because this half of the year has been great for PS4 owners. Haven't even had time to play most of my games from this year. Already beat Horizon and Im in the middle of Nier and Yakuza right now but I'll have to put those to the side again once Mass Effect drops next week. Hoping I can beat Mass Effect before Persona drops. Gaming industry has no chill, I need a breather.

I did the same thing for a little bit. Could've gotten the regular PS4 with Uncharted bundled in for cheaper, which was appealing. I just had reservations about buying into older tech, not that it's super significant without a 4K TV and/or a PSVR. Cool to see another new PS4 owner, though. I'm JJWeatherman on PSN if you need more friends!

Yup congratz, you should expect your first paycheck within 7-10 workdays. Enjoy!

Excellent. I'll be watching my mailbox closely, haha.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a similar situation I'm in right now, actually. Eyeing a PS4 Pro, but I mostly game on PC. But those hot sclusees.....

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you get health insurance and a 401k plan?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations, you're a worthwhile human being now

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations, you're a worthwhile human being now

I know myself too well to believe your nonsense.

Do you get health insurance and a 401k plan?

I'm pretty sure that was on the back of the box.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Been tempted to upgrade my PS4 to a Pro because I'm a good consumer, but the Switch and Zelda is too tempting; so as of right now PS4 Pro is second on my list. It seems like a worth while investment on my part considering I have a handful of games to play that will run better on a Pro and for the eventual upgrade to a 4k tv. Who knows, maybe by the time I upgrade my tv there will be a new console out that will do native 4k and have a 4k blue ray drive so I will want to upgrade to that. . .

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I jumped from PC to Playstation when the PS3 came out. I haven't regretted the move and now have a PS4.

The only thing I miss is Civilization. I'd love to play the new one, but my PC is not up to he task and it's not worth upgrading just for that.

I certainly don't miss constantly tinkering with PC settings and checking frames per second on Fraps. I know you don't have to do that, but my OCD brain wouldn't let me just enjoy the damned games.

It's been great that the PS3, PS4 and PS4 Pro have just run the games as intended and let me get on with playing.

It's often said that PC games are cheaper, but I'm not so sure. I sell all my games as soon as I have finished with them, and normally get half of what I paid for them back to put towards my next purchase.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.