Does the PS4 have horrible DRM?

#1 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

I could be wrong, but I am often locked out from my digital games. Restarting the system usually fixes the issue. But, PSN is down at the moment. There is no way to play the digital games I purchased (not PS+ games) since the PS4 can't verify the license.

My PS4 is set as the primary account. I've read about others having the same issue. There doesn't seem to be a permanent fix.

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

Try this

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/license.html

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@rihanna: I have only digital games and I've not had any issues launching games when offline.

#4 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: Tried that. Thanks anyway.

The mods moved this thread out of general discussion. Looks like nobody will see it now. Guess I will try for help at another forum.

#5 Posted by MetalBaofu (1386 posts) -

@rihanna: All I can say is that I've had no problem playing my games when not connected, and that you should contact Sony customer support, because it shouldn't be happening. Sorry I can't offer any help.

#6 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

@metalbaofu: Thanks. Once PSN is back up, I am going to try to figure this out. I have restored licenses and made the account my primary one a few times. I will try again.

#7 Posted by ottoman673 (516 posts) -

@rihanna said:

The mods moved this thread out of general discussion. Looks like nobody will see it now. Guess I will try for help at another forum.

Most of us usually click into recent topics, as opposed to an individual forum. I didn't have to go to the PS4 forum to find your topic...

Regardless, I'd agree with the above and say contact customer support, because I also haven't had this issue and am 100% digital.

#8 Posted by SMTDante89 (2581 posts) -

I've had this problem a couple of times, it always happened when I purchased content from the PSN Store on browsers. Simply restarting my console didn't fix the issue for me either.

What I read from another site that worked for me was going to Settings > PSN > Sign Out (not Restore Licenses) and then sign back in.

Gave it a few seconds, and the little lock that was preventing me from playing my games disappeared and I could start playing them. I hope that works for you.

#9 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

@smtdante89: I think I figured out the problem. When downloading the FFXIV demo, I used a different account on my PS4. I think I set the new account as the primary account. Once PSN is back, I will try to switch the primary account back. Even though I chose "set as primary account", it seems to do nothing until you deactivate the other account.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -
#11 Posted by mosespippy (4183 posts) -

@rihanna said:

The volume of new topics on Giant Bomb is low enough that even the recent posts view has stale topics. Almost every user will see your topics no matter what forum it's in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.