Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Email from Sony

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Just got an email from Sony stating that they reset my password, but didn't state that something went wrong or my information was stolen. I didn't get any emails about purchases or anything that I didn't make recently. Any ideas what it could be? Has anyone gotten this email?

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By cloudymusic

I got one of these too. I had to go in and change my password, but nothing appeared to be awry. My wallet balance was untouched, and no foreign purchases were in my history. I also use a long and complex password that I use absolutely nowhere else.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brutushayesosu

precaution on their part. I got the same one this morning and changed my password no problem. What the irregularity was I haven't read but these password reset emails have been going out since last week(i think?)

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got one too. it says:

"Sony routinely monitors for any irregular activity, and if such activity is detected, we may sometimes reset passwords of affected accounts to protect consumers and their account information. Your account password was recently reset as part of this process and you will need to create a new password the next time you acces your account using the "forgot your password" option on the sign in screen."

asky314159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By asky314159

Yeah, I just got the same email. I hope they go into a little more detail at some point.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lord_Xp

Oh ok, im usually up to the current news about Sony and didn't hear of this happening before so I got worried since the psn black out. I'm glad that its nothing bad and I'm glad Sony is planning ahead instead of waiting for something to go wrong.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Their twitter said they did that to a lot of people due to irregular activity. I believe if you buy stuff digitally it resets it to be safe, at least that's why I think mine got reset. Sucks if you didn't use a real birth date though when you made the account.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Yeah, I just got the same email. I hope they go into a little more detail at some point.

2 million facebook and google accounts were just hacked. Might be something to do with that

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spraynardtatum

@manmadegod: not just facebook and google. Yahoo, Twitter, and Linkedin too.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By iamjohn

I get that email too, but I assumed it was because I had to change my billing information last night while registering my Vita. At least it doesn't seem like there's a problem.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McShank

Mine was reset approx 1 week ago after I bought some DLC for ME2 since it was the first time in many months that I spent money on PSN except for psn+. Dont mind the random resets as it will help with hack's not happening again.. We can hope..

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcshank said:

Mine was reset approx 1 week ago after I bought some DLC for ME2 since it was the first time in many months that I spent money on PSN except for psn+. Dont mind the random resets as it will help with hack's not happening again.. We can hope..

I don't think there's a lot of room for hoping when dealing with account security on the internet. Either our accounts were hacked or they weren't. Either way, the email I received doesn't really give a good answer to that question.

"Irregular activity" is as vague as it gets.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I got that email last week.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Got that email today, but I haven't touched my playstation account or any sony stuff in well over a month, so it's unlikely I caused it by logging in from different locations or something.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I got that email last week and didn't think much of it. Sent an at reply to Matt Bodega. He did not respond.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ervonymous

I assumed they caught and banned my illegit JP account when I couldn't log in, thankfully it was just this.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Subjugation

@asky314159 said:

2 million facebook and google accounts were just hacked. Might be something to do with that

Whoa, can you link to story? :| That's bad news.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Flappy

Got this email about 1-2 weeks ago. Took care of it a long time ago.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got one as well.

I recommend removing any associated credit cards. Doesn't hurt to be safe. I had to use one when I redeemed the 30 day Plus trial. That was stupid and should not have been required.

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got and it took all of 3 seconds to change it.

I don't keep any of my CC/Debit info on anything so i am never worried. Takes 10 seconds to add the card, buy the product and remove the card and you end up saving yourself a headache if someone ever does get in.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By wallee321

Got one today, I'd rather they be proactive, instead of getting caught with their pants down again.

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp said:

Just got an email from Sony stating that they reset my password, but didn't state that something went wrong or my information was stolen. I didn't get any emails about purchases or anything that I didn't make recently. Any ideas what it could be? Has anyone gotten this email?

I, and a large number of others, received the same email (and forced password reset). Sony has also gone on record to say that it's a legitimate email and that this did actually just happen. I wish they would have mentioned what type of odd activity they detected that would force them to reset so many passwords at once; my guess is some sort of minor security breach (otherwise, they could just reset the individual account).

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

@wikitoups: Thanks duder.

Wait, you can't be serious.

A look at the passwords shows a keylogger may have been overkill, however. Trustwave reports that the most common passwords were "123456," "123456789," "1234," and "password."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.