Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Embarrassing question from a new PS4 owner

AZ123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

How do I erase save files on PS4 without deleting the entire game off the system?

I'm playing Knack (sue me!) and saved my game. I now have one saved file. If my sister wanted to "start a new game" then there would be two saved files, hers and mine. What if I wanted to delete my save but keep hers? There seems to be no way to do this.

Is this a Knack thing or PS4 thing?

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zella

Go to Settings, then Application Saved Data Management, then Saved Data in System Storage, then Delete. This will bring up all your games and allow you to delete individual save files. If you want to fully erase the save you may also need to do so in Saved Data in Online Storage if you are using the PS+ save back ups.

I haven't tried it, as I am the only user of my PS4, but I would assume saves are also tied to the active account. So if you are worried about your sister messing with your save, as long as she plays on a system account dedicated to her it should be independent. Again I only have the one user though so I am not positive.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zaccheus

Yeah she should make her own PSN account so that she has her own save in all the games she plays.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You think that's bad?

I couldn't even find the power button on the system when I first got it.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: ditto, i also had to google how to eject the disc.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ripelivejam
    geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@spitz1000: I just started pawing at the front hoping to stumble onto it

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yesterday, I figured out how to turn off the controller without turning off the console. I've had my PS4 since September. There are no embarrassing questions with this generation of consoles.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Turning of the controller and managing savefiles works just like the ps3 but the new power on button is just pure stupid. Design over function and its not even good design.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem with the PS4 power button is the little power symbol is drawn too small so unless you are used to searching for that stuff with a microscope it is very easy to miss it.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rethla

@karkarov said:

The only problem with the PS4 power button is the little power symbol is drawn too small so unless you are used to searching for that stuff with a microscope it is very easy to miss it.

Also if your PS4 has locked up for some reason and you want to reset your ps4 you have to pull the plug to switch it off as the touch buttons will lock up with the rest of the ps4. What an incredible stupid idea it is to have software based power switches.

KingSalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: Holding the power button always did it for me.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingsalo: well it didnt for me. When 2.0 came my ps4 locked up in hibernation mode and was impossible to ressurect without pulling the plug and launching into safemode doing a clean swipe. Everything dissapeared.

Im not sure a real power button would have helped in this case but still is really frustrating that you have to move furniture to shut the damn thing off. Thats not how a powerbutton should work. I was sitting for minutes trying to "hold the power button" but nothing happend and the complete lack of any sort of feedback from the unresponding console made me wanna throw it out of the window.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geirr: ME. TOO. I felt so fucking stupid.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@kingsalo: well it didnt for me. When 2.0 came my ps4 locked up in hibernation mode and was impossible to ressurect without pulling the plug and launching into safemode doing a clean swipe. Everything dissapeared.

Im not sure a real power button would have helped in this case but still is really frustrating that you have to move furniture to shut the damn thing off. Thats not how a powerbutton should work. I was sitting for minutes trying to "hold the power button" but nothing happend and the complete lack of any sort of feedback from the unresponding console made me wanna throw it out of the window.

Yeah that is irritating but it is the direction it is going. Most actual "power switches" are now on boards themselves. Also for some types of issues it really is better to pull the plug anyway as that is the only way you can really cut all power to a device. Many things out there even when "powered off" are still sitting in hidden standby modes.

AZ123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zella: Thanks! This was helpful. There were two save files, but when I got to "Saved Data in System Storage" I didn't see an option for deleting individual save files. When I pressed Delete, both games were erased. Are you really able to select individual save files? I guess it's true that we might need to make more than one account.

AZ123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus: Okay, that probably would be best in the long run. Good thinking!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@az123 said:

@zella: Thanks! This was helpful. There were two save files, but when I got to "Saved Data in System Storage" I didn't see an option for deleting individual save files. When I pressed Delete, both games were erased. Are you really able to select individual save files? I guess it's true that we might need to make more than one account.

What you are talking about is gamespecific. What is an induvidual savefile in the game may not be an induvidual file on the PS4. In most cases you get an profile savefile that saves all your gamesettings, like controlls, volume and stuff like that. Then you get separate savefiles for your game progression. This is hovewer as said game specific and in some games you may just get one big files that holds everything and thats it.

Having different accounts is how Sony intended savemanagement between multiple players should be handled, the filesystem is not the solution.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the embarassing question was how to delete the browser history. I just saw some awkward stuff on the frequently visited sites of a friend's PS4.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I thought the embarassing question was how to delete the browser history. I just saw some awkward stuff on the frequently visited sites of a friend's PS4.

gamebutts.club

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By monkeyking1969

@spitz1000: @geirr: reminds me of this:

No Caption Provided

Yup, I think nearly every single buyer of 'an iMac like that' had to look it up. Apple is mad as a bag of ferrets when it comes to controls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.