First price indication of the PS4?

#1 Posted by Daftronaut (30 posts) -

I'm not really sure this is in any way newsworthy, but a pretty famous UK-shop just listed the PS4 as a preorder for 399 £ / 515 € ( about 610 $).

Do you guys think this might be an indication for the price of the PS4? Of course I have no idea how they arrived at that price point, but maybe they calculated what each of the components might cost and added it up or they might even have official estimates from Sony (probably not).

There are probably other shops that have similar offers. Do you guys think this might be an indication for the actual price point of the PS4?

#2 Edited by leebmx (2198 posts) -

That's kind of what I was figuring as someone who lives in the UK. However I don't think that price will just convert to US$, I reckon more like $500. They always get a way better deal on electronics.

EDIT: I suspect whatever shop it is (is it GAME?) are just taking a guess in the hope of getting some much needed funds in rather than actually have any info on the real price.

#3 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

No, it's a ballpark guesstimate.

#4 Edited by Dauthi693 (130 posts) -

Its the most they would expect i.e allows preorders without a chance of them having to increase the price losing them money on price promises when the actual price is annouced.

#5 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

$500 seems like a reasonable price, but stores just guess whenever something is announced. We'll have to wait for Sony's announcement on the price. As for the conversion from euros/pounds to dollars, that's never how pricing works. If it's listed at 500 GBP in the UK, it would be $500 in the US.

#6 Edited by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

#7 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -
@leebmx said:

That's kind of what I was figuring as someone who lives in the UK. However I don't think that price will just convert to US$, I reckon more like $500. They always get a way better deal on electronics.

EDIT: I suspect whatever shop it is (is it GAME?) are just taking a guess in the hope of getting some much needed funds in rather than actually have any info on the real price.

Sometimes they get a better deal, but quite a lot of the time it only looks that way; American prices don't include VAT up front. By the time they're actually paying for anything, they usually end up paying closer to the same price.

What will likely happen is that we get the console a good 3 months after our American friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.