Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Fixing squeaky triggers?

escapenode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Does anyone have a real fix for a squeaky L2? That thing is a monster, just non-stop. R2 does it a little, but it's much more subtle. I've seen people suggest WD40, 3-in-1, pencil graphite... I'm wondering if anything has provided a actual lasting solution?

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I have that problem too! Sadly I learned to live with it......

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Vaseline (or other petroleum based jelly).

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By VooDooPC

Go to a hobby shop that sells RC car parts. They usually have grease to use with plastic that is long lasting.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same with my PS Vita, one of the bumpers was/is squeaky out of the box.

escapenode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voodoopc: are you saying you've done this and it's fixed your trigger, or are you just suggesting?

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@voodoopc: are you saying you've done this and it's fixed your trigger, or are you just suggesting?

It was just a suggestion. I haven't had squeaky triggers yet, just sticky bumpers.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BasketSnake

I have fixed both of my dual shock 4 controllers. Use force to pry them open. You will probably break one of the locks holding the shells together but that's okay because it'll snap back easily. The internal mechanics aren't hard to figure out. You need just a tiny bit of oil on the trigger hinges. COAT a cottonswab and put some paper on it to soak up the oil then just use it to dab a little bit on the hinges. I even stuck a piece of paper under my R2 trigger because it wasn't responsive enough. Then it became too responsive and I could barely touch it for it to work. I cut off a piece of paper and it's now perfect. Tested with a pc xinput program.

I used google to figure out how to open it and both trial and error when applying oil and I figured out the internal mechanisms myself. Tips - 1- when using oil, only coat with a cotton swap. Oil will drip into the rubber parts for the trigger and you will have to clean that up. What a mess. If you JUST COAT any kind of surface you probably will avoid that. 2 - CAREFUL when prying open the R2 L2 triggers themselves. There's a tiny loose spring sitting on each of them and if you lose it you have a problem. Study it carefully before taking it off. You'll see the spring. 3 - the rubber reset button inside the controller is loose so when you take the shells apart with any sudden movements it might fall to the floor or something.

I used google and youtube and so can you. Actually, diz and VooDooPC might have the easiest answer. Maybe you don't need to open the controller but I would. You just need a tiny bit of oil on the trigger hinges.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@basketsnake: You can probably get the same effect by just coating the edges and pressing it in a few times.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I have had the same problem since Day 1. :(

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By RonGalaxy

My triggers are kind of squeaky, but I don't notice it at all while playing. If it became a problem, I would open up the controller (not that hard) and see how the triggers function, then go from there. I also hear that people have gotten free controller when complaining to sony about this, but I wouldn't recommend doing that (it's kind of a dick thing to do).

edit: just looking at the controller, I've noticed that when you press in the trigger a small seam at the top opens up and you can kind of see the triggers hinge. I bet if you dropped some sort of lubricant in there it would fix the problem (I wouldn't recommend using wd40 on a plastic controller, but I guess you could try it if that's all you have).

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corruptedevil: exactly, only I had to fix the pressure sensitivity too

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fattony12000
    RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For reference, my triggers did begin to squeak and what I said above did fix them. There are little hinges that go on the little pegs on the trigger buttons and coating them in dielectric grease stopped the triggers from squeaking. A little bit of warning though: the ps4 controller does not come apart as easily as other controllers I've messed with. Also, opening it up does void the warranty on the controller (not the ps4, just the controller). Also, you need a really tiny screwdriver head to get the 4 screws on the back off. They are deceptively big.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.