For the players since 1995

• 101 results
#51 Posted by mercutio123 (521 posts) -

@daneian said:

My favorite playstation moment was their 1995 price announcement (about 4 mins in):

Loading Video...

Take that $399 Sega Saturn

I dunno man, this shit was fucking intense as all hell

Loading Video...

Fuck man just watching that again really shows their ruthless approach. I love it.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
#52 Posted by VincentVendetta (399 posts) -

Since we're in nostalgia territory, I would like to share this feautre from classic Gamespot about the original PlayStation.

Loading Video...

ASUKA ONE HUNDRED TWENTY PERCENT SPECIAL BURNING FEST!!!

Avatar image for usernameandemail
#53 Edited by Usernameandemail (128 posts) -
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Now go put Loaded in your CD player and listen to Pop Will Eat Itself.

#54 Posted by Master_Funk (759 posts) -

Best console ad I've seen in a long time, which admittedly is a low bar, but still. PS1 was also my first console so brought back a lot of memories.

#55 Posted by JasonR86 (10131 posts) -
#56 Posted by HatKing (7160 posts) -

Weird. He had a Kasabian poster for an album that didn't come out for another four years.

#57 Posted by xyzygy (10596 posts) -

@funkys said:

@xyzygy said:

I grew up with Nintendo and shouldn't the guy in this video should have too? He was about 18 when the PS1 came out, it looked like. Also why is he still 18 when the PS4 comes out?

I can't speak for the whole of the U.K. but for me everyone I knew had a Sega console apart from one person, we all had master systems and them moved on to Mega Drives. I can still remember arguing with a friend that the Saturn was better than the Playstation before either had even come out! Then I played another friends' Saturn and felt how bad it was first hand which was one of the deciding factors for me getting a Playstation. So really he should have had a Mega Drive...maybe?

Short answer is that this is a promo video that doesn't care for continuity.

Haha, this is true. And I also grew up with Sega. I had a SNES, my cousin had a Genesis. I would always rub it in that I had the "better" console, but in reality I loved going over to his place to play Eternal Champions, Golden Axe, Sonic, and Ecco. Loved the Genesis.

#58 Edited by BanzaiBandito (78 posts) -

What a great video. I grew up with Nintendo and Sega, and I'll always have a warm spot for them and their stuff. I can see the same feeling existing in the hearts of guys and gals that grew up with the Playstation. My college dorm room had a N64 and Dreamcast, but my room mate had one of those game playing DVD player PS1s. Eventually, I took the plunge and bought one on the day the FF7 released. Sony's become a great game brand.

#59 Posted by Sooty (8194 posts) -

cringe

#60 Posted by TyCobb (2023 posts) -

"Fans are encouraged to pay particular attention to the order that the PlayStation symbols appear in."

Why?

#61 Posted by Wuddel (2383 posts) -

Great Ad. Man, Sony is doing everything right. I haven't been a console gamer much before the PS3 (and still primarily PC), but it is true. Since the PS hit, console gaming meant "playstation" for most my friends over here on the continent. I only know 2 people owning a 360. I hope Sony does good, since competition benefits us consumers.

#62 Edited by fisk0 (5988 posts) -

That was a surprisingly great video, with lots of attention to detail, and I don't know about the US, but at least in Sweden it's not entirely unheard of to keep some class mates throughout the 12 years of primary and secondary school (and after knowing each other for so long, you'd keep in contact with them after school too), or for that matter, have relatives of different races. I have black cousins at least.

Moderator Online
Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#63 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (5419 posts) -

Homing in on that nostalgia factor. That's smart marketing, Sony.

#64 Posted by Castiel (3092 posts) -

@daneian said:

My favorite playstation moment was their 1995 price announcement (about 4 mins in):

Loading Video...

Damn E3 has changed. This looks kinda cool though. I almost which E3 where more like that today; just down to earth and not of all that bullshit business talk and overly rehearsed cringeworthy demos.

#65 Edited by Pr1mus (4157 posts) -

The PS1 still has the best console/game boot up sounds.

Loading Video...

This is actually almost as big a memory than any game.

#66 Posted by JZ (2343 posts) -

I had a nes and a snes growing up, but videogames didn't start till the ps1 came out.

Ps1 best system ever.

#67 Posted by GnaTSoL (872 posts) -

You're telling me you're a 90s kid yet you never had an experience with a SNES? Maybe you're a late 90s kid.

#68 Posted by huntad (2224 posts) -

This commercial is okay. I don't really have any feelings on it, and just realize that it exists. Maybe it speaks to those who hold their video game pasts in higher regard? Yeah, that's probably it.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
#69 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2922 posts) -

I want to kill anybody who pushes in the disk drive like that guy did when the ps2 came up. Fuck I hated that.

#71 Posted by L1GHTN1N (1676 posts) -

Dude had a Vib-Ribbon poster in his room, that makes this ad fine by me.

#72 Edited by GnaTSoL (872 posts) -

@jz said:

@gnatsol: the snes is crap.

This must be ban worthy right? Everyone is being offended.

#73 Posted by ToTheNines (1290 posts) -

I had a NES as my first machine, then a phillips CDI (lol that was a mistake) and then the ps1, which is probably my fondest machine to date.

#74 Posted by Justin258 (13850 posts) -

@gnatsol said:

@jz said:

@gnatsol: the snes is crap.

This must be ban worthy right? Everyone is being offended.

It absolutely is ban worthy.

#75 Posted by JZ (2343 posts) -

@gnatsol: but the ps1 is so much better.

#76 Posted by Lysergica33 (600 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

The PS1 still has the best console/game boot up sounds.

Loading Video...

This is actually almost as big a memory than any game.

Loading Video...

YESSSSSSS, YEEEEEEEEEEES, N-OHHHH YEEEEES!

#77 Edited by JZ (2343 posts) -
#78 Posted by Zaccheus (1909 posts) -

Fuck that PS1 boot sound is embedded somewhere in my brain. It's like a trigger sound for my Playstation memories. So many demo discs.

#79 Edited by Warfare (1677 posts) -

Nothing but good memories.

#80 Edited by devilzrule27 (1248 posts) -

If he didn't keep his consoles on the floor all the time he probably wouldn't have had to keep replacing his consoles with their respective redesigns.

#81 Posted by LiquidPrince (16785 posts) -

@daneian: That's like exactly what happened this generation. Sony has been bitch slapping the competition since 1995.

#82 Edited by Itwongo (1709 posts) -

That's a great advertisement. I had a weird upbringing when it came to consoles, and I only owned a Playstation for a brief while, but this still filled me with nostalgia. Hell, I didn't even own any of the games they were showing off in this.

#83 Posted by mazik765 (2361 posts) -

@zero_ said:

@daneian said:

Loading Video...

LOL What the hell that's awesome

Would've been better if he just dropped the mic.

#84 Edited by impartialgecko (1821 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

Sony: Brought to you by Domino's

You have to admit this was pretty cheesy. I grew up with Nintendo and shouldn't the guy in this video should have too? He was about 18 when the PS1 came out, it looked like. Also why is he still 18 when the PS4 comes out?

Absolutely. Still got me though.

#85 Posted by Guesty_01 (383 posts) -

Fucking A! Ya know one thing for sure when you go out and buy a Sony system - it's going to be a quality machine with a shit ton of great, varied experiences on it.

Yeah they've made some mistakes in the past but shit have they delivered big time over the years.

Avatar image for scientificpizza
#86 Posted by ScientificPizza (2295 posts) -
#87 Edited by Humanity (14577 posts) -

@rowr said:

@jacdg said:

@naru_joe93 said:

I know the giant bomb dudes scoff at people like me, but Playstation is to me what Nintendo was for them.

Same, Brad hates us.

Forget that Noob.

Same, as a kid my parents were really against consoles so we never had a Nintendo or a Genesis. It was when I grew up and made my own money that I could finally get a console on my own and it was the first Playstation. Up until that point I was primarily a PC gamer.

Maybe that is why I couldn't care less about Mario-anything in present day.

#88 Posted by Zero_ (2039 posts) -

@godlyawesomeguy said:

Shit, I was born in 1995.

That was only seven years ago

Wait, that's not right...

... you mean seven days.

#89 Posted by Fattony12000 (8167 posts) -

Milkybar Buttons!

2562330-milkybarbutts.png

#fucknestlé

#90 Posted by mlarrabee (3684 posts) -

I've been a playah since 1995.

What do I get?

#91 Posted by sentuamessage (6 posts) -

They forgot the 3rd revision of the PS3 or maybe I missed that?

#92 Posted by PapaLazarou (870 posts) -

@funkys said:

@xyzygy said:

I grew up with Nintendo and shouldn't the guy in this video should have too? He was about 18 when the PS1 came out, it looked like. Also why is he still 18 when the PS4 comes out?

I can't speak for the whole of the U.K. but for me everyone I knew had a Sega console apart from one person, we all had master systems and them moved on to Mega Drives. I can still remember arguing with a friend that the Saturn was better than the Playstation before either had even come out! Then I played another friends' Saturn and felt how bad it was first hand which was one of the deciding factors for me getting a Playstation. So really he should have had a Mega Drive...maybe?

Short answer is that this is a promo video that doesn't care for continuity.

Yeah I'm from the UK too and every single person I know had a Sega Megadrive and then bought a Playstation. Nintendo wasn't really a big thing over here like it was for the US... at least from my experience growing up.

#93 Edited by PapaLazarou (870 posts) -

Also they aren't aging throughout the video, this is just how they'd look if they were the same age during each console. I'm guessing this was done because making them age throughout each console would only appeal to the people who grew up with the first Playstation. Doing it this way means 4 different age groups can relate to the video at some point. So I don't see why there is this weird age argument, it has nothing to do with it.

Love this ad though, Sony's ads in the UK have always been great, I really liked that Xbox one where the guy flew through the air and landed in a grave.

#94 Posted by Zero_ (2039 posts) -

Also they aren't aging throughout the video, this is just how they'd look if they were the same age during each console. I'm guessing this was done because making them age throughout each console would only appeal to the people who grew up with the first Playstation. Doing it this way means 4 different age groups can relate to the video at some point. So I don't see why there is this weird age argument, it has nothing to do with it.

Love this ad though, Sony's ads in the UK have always been great, I really liked that Xbox one where the guy flew through the air and landed in a grave.

I never thought of it like that, that's cool.

#96 Edited by egg (1667 posts) -

@turtlebird95 said:

Domino's Pizza in the beginning, wtf Sony? Did you guys forget about those Pizza Hut demo discs?

The pizza was CURATED FOR GAMERS!

2562371-3026254765-PlayS.jpg

#97 Edited by Snail (8831 posts) -

Thank you so much for saying "players" and not "gamers".

Thank you.

#98 Edited by Dangerloves (108 posts) -

When I think of the Playstation I will always remember the 'Double Life' ad. SCE UK knew how to market the Playstation as a lifestyle accessory, like it meant something, that it was important, and not just some children's toy you buy at Christmas - though I did buy mine in November 97.

Loading Video...

I grew up with a NES, Texas Instruments, PCs and the like, and though I'll always prefer PC gaming, it was the Playstation that had me obsessively excited about a console.

The David Lynch PS2 'The Third Place' ad still baffles me. But they made it right with the 'Fun Anyone?' ad.

#99 Posted by Darson (519 posts) -

When the guy took the girl by the hand and left the room followed by the other guy followed by a view of fireworks, does this indicate a threesome?

I'm drawing this from my keen observation skills and from playing The Sims.

#100 Posted by Zaccheus (1909 posts) -

Here's a making of video for the ad.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.