From Xbox to Playstation

• 65 results
#1 Edited by Tobyus (100 posts) -

Who is gonna buy the Playstation 4 instead of Xbox One?

Why are you??

Im quite sure of myself that im gonna get the PS4. I think its because its not out this year, its gonna take a few more months, who knows :O ??

That kinda bums me out really. So I think im gonna go with the PS4. I do feel that im gonna "lose" some stuff from the Xbox feeling. Like, achievements, XBL, the feeling of the controller, my gamercard...

Anyone else that cant decide somehow???

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

My first console was a PS1 and i was instantly Hooked on to Playstation until the Playstation 3 (At the time) . I remember Europe being shafted as it Released 4 months after the NA and cost a lot at release. I decided to Get a 360.

Since most Exclusives made the jump to multiplatform (GTA 4 , Final fantasy 13, Resident Evil 5, Tekken 6) And the Exclusive games like Gears of war and The condemned i was happy with my purchase. Until 2010 as games i became Tired of the Microsoft brand as it released so many Halo games and had so many shitty Restrictions with GOLD.

Also i always wanted to play yakuza and MGS 4 on PS3 as well as Heavy rain , Infamous 2 , God of war 3 and the Uncharted Series . The PS3 became affordable and i do not regret the purchase. The past 3 years have been a blast with PS3 and the ease of playing the back catalogue from PS1 and PS2 on the PS3 was a great touch.Also PS PLUS made the Purchase a good one as i have played so many games for a low price of £11 Every 3 months.

KINECT was a major turn off for me aswell and nothing of the X1 has jumped at me. With the PS4 i look forward to Infamous , The next game from Naughty Dog and other exclusive titles also exclusive games like RIME and Sony Japan.

#3 Posted by Morningstar (2139 posts) -

Ps4. Xbox isn't out in Norway in November so I've little choice in the matter. Would have gotten that one anyway(will get the x1 after a price drop later)

#4 Posted by believer258 (11630 posts) -

Unless something drastic happens, the PS4 looks and sounds more appealing to me, though I won't be getting either until a year or so after launch or more.

I liked my 360 but Microsoft just kept making the user experience slower and more cumbersome, not to mention making no effort to secure more new IP's (unlike Sony, who has a variety of IP's both new and old).

#5 Edited by Tobyus (100 posts) -

My first console was a PS1 and i was instantly Hooked on to Playstation until the Playstation 3 (At the time) . I remember Europe being shafted as it Released 4 months after the NA and cost a lot at release. I decided to Get a 360.

Since most Exclusives made the jump to multiplatform (GTA 4 , Final fantasy 13, Resident Evil 5, Tekken 6) And the Exclusive games like Gears of war and The condemned i was happy with my purchase. Until 2010 as games i became Tired of the Microsoft brand as it released so many Halo games and had so many shitty Restrictions with GOLD.

Also i always wanted to play yakuza and MGS 4 on PS3 as well as Heavy rain , Infamous 2 , God of war 3 and the Uncharted Series . The PS3 became affordable and i do not regret the purchase. The past 3 years have been a blast with PS3 and the ease of playing the back catalogue from PS1 and PS2 on the PS3 was a great touch.Also PS PLUS made the Purchase a good one as i have played so many games for a low price of £11 Every 3 months.

KINECT was a major turn off for me aswell and nothing of the X1 has jumped at me. With the PS4 i look forward to Infamous , The next game from Naughty Dog and other exclusive titles also exclusive games like RIME and Sony Japan.

I understand :) So you're gonna go with the PS4, I assume?

Whats your impression as of now?

Ps4. Xbox isn't out in Norway in November so I've little choice in the matter. Would have gotten that one anyway(will get the x1 after a price drop later)

Yeah, that sucks. So Ps4, huh? Whats the most appealing thing to you? :)

Unless something drastic happens, the PS4 looks and sounds more appealing to me, though I won't be getting either until a year or so after launch or more.

I liked my 360 but Microsoft just kept making the user experience slower and more cumbersome, not to mention making no effort to secure more new IP's (unlike Sony, who has a variety of IP's both new and old).

So PS4 at launch then :) ?? What games are you gonna buy?

#6 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

@tobyus: I think it will be worth the buy it has a Low price. PS plus is a way better subscription model than GOLD. Better Exclusive games. No mandatory Camera. Possible more exclusive JRPG games. Also bringing exclusive Indie games first to PS4 is pretty neat. The remote play feature where you can play nearly all PS4 games on the vita is good. More cross platform play between PC and PS4. PS4 is a great package.

#7 Edited by isomeri (1225 posts) -

@tobyus: @morningstar: You duders do know that it's easy to order an Xbox One from abroad? I've got one coming from Amazon with estimated delivery on the 22nd or 23rd of November.

#8 Edited by Ezakael (911 posts) -

I have a launch day PS4 pre ordered and I plan on picking it up with Killzone and Watch_Dogs. I'm a Sony man personally, I had a PS1 and PS2. The only reason I got the 360 was because my parents wouldn't buy me a PS3 for Christmas because of the price(I was 14 I believe). I've been 360 this whole gen and I feel bad about it, that combined with the fact that MS has fucked with the Xbox so much I can't really trust what they'll do with the thing anymore.

#9 Edited by Morningstar (2139 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@tobyus: @morningstar: You duders do know that it's easy to order an Xbox One from abroad? I've got one coming from Amazon with estimated delivery on the 22nd or 23rd of November.

Not if you live in Norway. Tax is insane on ordering from out of country on anything over 30 USD.

#10 Posted by BonOrbitz (2157 posts) -

I'll be getting a PS4 sometime next year and will hold off on the Xbox One for a long time. None of the launch titles excite me, except for Watch Dogs, but I just bought a GTX 770 for my rig so it'll look great there.

I love my 360 more than my PS3, but Microsoft's ego and their actions this year regarding the system and how they address the consumer have turned me off quite a bit. It's nice to see that they are facing their criticisms, but I have no confidence in their sincerity and wonder if they're actually learning from all the backlash.

Sony seems to have learned from their arrogance and mistakes with the PS3, and I feel they are legitimately listening to their customers. I never thought I'd type that about them.They seem to have energy, fun, and excitement for the PS4's potential and have a good deal of positivity and cooperation with their publishers and developers. Microsoft seems cold, corporate, and drab, as if they're playing this game by-the-numbers while assuming that everyone will be purchasing their system.

#11 Posted by believer258 (11630 posts) -

@tobyus: No, I meant that I'm not getting a PS4 or a Xbox One until at least a year or so after launch. The only way I'd get one at launch is if, between now and then, I somehow came across an exorbitant amount of disposable income. And when I finally do get one, it's most likely going to be a PS4.

#12 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Instead? I always like to have all the consoles so I'm getting both at launch.

I've been playing Sony platforms less and less as time goes on. I think it just has to do with multiplayer and Microsoft has always been better in that regard. My PS2 was played a ton, but for single player experiences. The same with ps3. Have to see how the multiplayer experience stacks up on the ps4 and xbox one but for now my habits are not going to change. Especially with titanfall coming to xbox one and not ps4.

That being said, the last console game I played was the last of us. Really liked that multiplayer.

#13 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

I'm a PlayStation guy and always have been. I never owned much for the Xbox and I'm no fan of Halo & Gears (Yes, I've played them) so I've never felt the need to get a 360 or XOne. Obviously MS has more then that but nothing besides Banjo & Alan Wake ever piqued my interest. I gave up on Nintendo after the Gamecube which was great imo. To bad we won't ever get a Mario Sunshine sequel! So yeah I'll be getting a PS4 as soon as possible.

I love that Sony invests so much in first/second party titles and that's what it all comes down to. Sony releases so many exclusives each year it's ridiculous and I end up loving them all the time (Unless it's Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, MLB, LBP). Infamous is my favorite franchise so it's obvious that I'm super pumped for Second Son. Killzone isn't their up there in terms of singleplayer but I love the multiplayer so I'm looking forward to diving into that. Knack isn't the greatest looking game but Mark Cerny is behind it so I'm on board. I'm not a racing fan unless it's from Criterion so I don't care for Driveclub but it'll be free day 1 with PS+ so I'll be playing it no matter what. The Order: 1886 has a lot of potential to be awesome because Ready at Dawn is a great developer so I'm looking forward to their console debut. All their other studios like Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica are super talented so it goes without saying that I'm pumped for the new IP's they'll be creating. Plus all that indie love Sony is showing is fantastic. I love all those indies so yeah. PS4 is where it's at for me. If MS can make some interesting looking exclusives and continue to pump out exclusives instead of leaving the XOne a wasteland like they did with the 360, I'll probably get one a few years down.

Completely forgot that day 1 on PS4 will have so many free games which include Driveclub (PS+), Res0gun (PS+), Warframe, Blacklight Retribution, Planetside 2 (I think), DC Universe Online, War Thunder, and The Playroom (PS4 Eye game) so even if I have no money for games on day 1, there's a bunch of free games to download so my PS4 won't just sit there gathering dust. Also also, Minecraft will be day 1. I'm so in there.

#14 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I've preferred Xbox over PS2, and 360 over PS3. Halfway through this generation however, I bought a PS3 for Demon's Souls and other exclusives like Infamous and Uncharted 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. Playing online for free just sat too well with me to further fork over the subscription fee for XBL Gold. And that's how Microsoft lost me as a customer. The subscription fees all but ensure me sticking to one or the other platform for the most parts, because online games are my thing, but I won't pay for two services.

Now, for the first time since the first Xbox came out, I'm back in the fold with Sony. Having bought both into PS Vita and PS+ recently, I've got to say, I feel happy at home with Sony. Playstation 4 inspires nothing but confidence. I am confident in my commitment to Playstation.

Microsoft is making its case for the Xbox One too. It gets more and more enticing. Quite surprised really by how much I like the games they're showing, though it'll be a couple of years before I'll seriously consider buying into Xbox One too. It'll take a pricedrop and a good catalogue of exclusives that fit my bill, before I'll get one into my home. There it'll have the opportunity to prove itself, and maybe become my gaming mainstay - albeit by that time the PC will start to have a much bigger chance to take over that role again.

But yeah, Sony simply won the *Phase 1* battle. As far as I'm concerned, they delivered a crushing blow to Microsoft's plans in an almost flawless victory. It's a good thing really. Microsoft needed that smack down something fierce. Their patronizing bullshit got somewhat out of hand. It certainly will make for a much more interesting *Phase 2* and so forth. Can't wait to see the two of them cross swords at next year's E3. The fight is flippin' on!

#15 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

I am.

I started with X360 this gen and was very happy with it. Didn't see a need to get PS4 even though I missed on MGS5 and such, but 360 filled my "gaming needs" more than enough. But around third quarter of this gen, I started to get tired of the constant screwing of MS's "Tier 2" countries. I heard about new features of XBL, XBLIndie "hey that's cool, and XBLRewards too"

Only to be struck with "Not available in your country" They marketed Kinect as ultimate revolution to gaming with all fancy voice controls and shit. I ended up winning one from competition, guess what? The voice controls didn't work. "Not available in your country" I decided I won't be paying same amount of money for XBL to get less features that Americans for example do. Now I won't be repeating same mistake, luckily they made choice easy by completely fucking up Halo which was one of the main reasons I bought 360 in the first place.

And no matter what shiny super awesome game they come up with, I won't buy X1. If we always forgive and forget the constant screwing over, nothing is ever going to change. People are all excited that MS is now the good guy with 180s and Apology tours and free games, yet nobody remembers that they said they plan on bringing back the DRM when "people are ready".

#16 Edited by isomeri (1225 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Not if you live in Norway. Tax is insane on ordering from out of country on anything over 30 USD.

Oh that's right, you guys aren't in the EU. That's a shame. But I can totally relate to wanting to buy the first console on the market. Heck I might have bought a PS4 at launch if it would have come out before the Xbox One in Europe.

#17 Posted by Humanity (8808 posts) -

@isomeri said:
@morningstar said:

@isomeri said:

Oh that's right, you guys aren't in the EU. That's a shame. But I can totally relate to wanting to buy the first console on the market. Heck I might have bought a PS4 at launch if it would have come out before the Xbox One in Europe.

In addition to having to import you don't have a guarantee that Live will even work in your region if the console isn't supported there. I'm not too crazy about making a $500+ dice roll.

#18 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

For this current gen I've mainly been on the 360. Bought my PS3 when Infamous came out and have a small selection of exclusives that I wanted to play. With next gen I see myself doing a switch, get PS4 first as my primary and X1 at a later date for exclusives and such. I'm not going to purchase a new system until Q2 2014 to see how the launch goes. Mainly to clear out my 360 backlog.

#19 Posted by Otacon (2208 posts) -

I waited for the PS3 because that's what my friends at the time were playing and early 360 stuff didn't grab me. I owned the original Xbox and loved it so I bought the 360 in 2009, mainly for halo. I love both systems but am going with Playstation first again this time, I hope they've sorted out their UX for this gen.

#20 Edited by Fattony12000 (7040 posts) -

This gen will be flip reversed for me, I'll be getting the Sony console at launch and the Microsoft console a couple of years later, most likely. But I will, of course, be getting both.

#21 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I own the first three playstations so I'll probably get the fourth eventually, but I have no plans currently to get one anywhere near launch. I'll wait a few years for a "slim" or "ultra" edition to come out for a better / similar price with more HDD space and probably better quality.

#22 Posted by Marokai (2805 posts) -

I'm broke as fuck at the moment, so I'll be getting neither immediately out of the gate, but the Ps4 is certainly the console for me out of the two. Aside from the inarguably better value for a person like me, Sony's been doing a great job at showing their flexibility and adaptability with stuff like the VitaTV, and bringing a much more interesting variety of games to the forefront than Microsoft. They've also proven they will support a console throughout it's entire life with first party games, and not just the first few years.

Many of the reasons I liked the 360 much more at the beginning of this generation are now the same reasons I want to go with the Ps4. The games seemed more interesting and more flavorful. The console was cheaper, and the online seemed cool and innovative. The way the system itself worked seemed like a much more straightforward gaming machine. Since the introduction of the Kinect, I've felt very disenchanted with Microsoft, and with how Sony has treated stuff like motion gaming and 3D as purely additional to the experience, but never their core focus, I feel like they just "get it" these days.

#23 Posted by Lumley (945 posts) -

I'm more or less in the same boat as you. I've owned an Xbox original since April 2002, had Xbox LIVE since December 2004 and an Xbox 360 since April 2006. Even if that does make me sound like a bit of a fanboy I'm totally not. Having had a Microsoft console for so long I am attached to a couple of the IP's (Mainly Halo, I'm bored of Gears etc.), but just like everybody else the PS4 sounds initially more appealing than the Xbox One. It's not that I'm against Kinect (lack of appealing launch Kinect games makes it seem obsolete though) but more the fact that PS4 is £100 cheaper, more powerful and has a better lineup of games.

PS4 controller is better than the PS3 one right? I really don't like the PS3 controller (those triggers and analog sticks ughh) and love the feel of the 360 controller.

That's my dilemma. Ideally a year down the line I will have both but because I'll have a 9-5 job for the next 12 months I won't have the time to play both if I got both on launch. I will probably get the PS4 this year and the Xbox One next year when it drops a bit in price or some good exclusives are released. I will most likely keep my Xbox Live Gold subscription going (let's be honest, £25 for 12 months is pretty cheap), both to use on my 360 and because I don't want to lose the magical '8 years of gold' number on my gamercard (plus I've got 90,000 gamerscore.. that's too much work to leave behind!).

#24 Posted by isomeri (1225 posts) -

@humanity said:

@isomeri said:
@morningstar said:

@isomeri said:

In addition to having to import you don't have a guarantee that Live will even work in your region if the console isn't supported there. I'm not too crazy about making a $500+ dice roll.

Live will work regardless where you live as long you use the marketplace of a country where the console is released, the UK for example. And even if there does end up being some issues with Live or games or whatever, the worst case scenario is that the Xbox will just sit in my closet for a few months until it is officially released in my region. A few Microsoft PR people have been giving advice to people who are buying their consoles from abroad, so I bet that they will try to handle this smoothly or risk suffering another public backlash.

#25 Edited by Killercombo (218 posts) -

Money wise I am in a position to be able to buy both but I cant decide yet: with my Family Staff Discount I can get the XB1 for about £370 at launch and the PS4 I would get at the standard price or wait until Tesco get more stock but neither really interest me, my 360 is hardly used and my 500 strong steam library shares the same fate, neither launch line up's interest me too much plus I don't have experience with a console launch, having got the 360 later and PS3 even more so (just to play a few exclusives then sell it) Thankfully I have both preordered so I guess I don't need to worry too much for now.

#26 Posted by Tobyus (100 posts) -

I see what people are saying. Mostly PS4 answers, and you guys are really saying the reason why you are getting one. I feel the same thing. Microsoft has gone back and forth on the rules, policy and shit. Completely turned off by that. I gotta admit that. BUt after they reversed their rules i kinda wanted to get it again.

BUt there's something about PS4 thats so appealing to me right now. And ill be getting the PS4 at launch, for sure. See how it goes, and when X1 is about to come out, I MIGHT switch to X1. not sure on that though, but thats my plan for now.

#27 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

@lumley: About the controllers, I haven't experienced it personally but friend of mine who got a chance to try both out, said that surprisingly PS4 controller actually felt better than Xbox One controller. It is no secret that DS3 was goddamn awful compared to 360 controller this gen. It's not just the placement of sticks, it's inferior in my opinion overall.

So I was bit surprised to hear his opinion about it, he said he has to seriously rethink his purchase as he was leaning towards X1 over PS4 because of "better controller".

It's just one man's opinion though, so don't assume I'm yelling it as a fact, Ok?

Personally I don't understand why did MS fuck with 360 controller to begin with, the thing was damn near perfection. The new bumpers look awfully "accident click" material. But enough about this, I'm going way off-topic. Sorry. Maybe we should make the great controller debate thread.

#28 Edited by Sergio (2049 posts) -

I'll be going with the PS4 because its exclusives appeal to me more.

@verendus @lumley: I tried both controllers at PAX. I also thought the DualShock 4 was a better controller compared to the Xbox One. My decision to get a PS4 might make some think I have a bias, but I'm console-agnostic and also thought the Xbox 360 controller was better than the DualShock 3.

#29 Edited by spookytapes (261 posts) -

I've been a huge XBOX fan since the original one. The combination of Halo and the exclusivity of some of the Dreamcast era sega game sequels like Shenmue 2 and JSRF sold me on it. I had a PS2 that I barely played beyond GTA and a few Sony exclusives (played FF10, Shadow of the Colossus, the MGS games) but did the bulk of my gaming on the OG XBOX, then I got a 360 and loved it too, but again, really great Sony exclusives eventually enticed me in on a PS3 around when Uncharted 2 came out, and as time goes on, I play my PS3 more and more and my 360 less and less, it's kinda weird to see that change. I hated PSN so I always bought multiplatform games for 360, but now I pretty much never play anything online, so I've just been getting things for PS3 lately. The UI is still clunky, but the updating process and the free games since I got PS+ has made the system a lot more tolerable to use. I even have a Vita now. I'm all in on the Sony ecosystem and I feel pretty good about it now. There are still red flags occasionally (Vita memory card prices!) but overall I'm pretty satisfied with Sony and I think they're headed in the right direction.

All that said, it's going to be really hard for me to not play the new Forza.

#30 Edited by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

I'm getting a PS4 because it's cheaper, apparently marginally more powerful, and PS Plus seems way more attractive than XBL Gold. On top of that, despite my happiness with the 360, I've lately come to feel that Microsoft isn't making me feel at all respected as a customer, with things like the ever-increasing amount of advertisements on the 360's dashboard.

#31 Edited by Lumley (945 posts) -

Is it worth it preordering a PS4, are there any 'day one' benefits? I've more or less decided against the Xbox One but would it still be better to wait for a week or two after release before I make my final decision?

#32 Posted by spraynardtatum (2605 posts) -

I'm going PS4. Microsoft just really turned me off with their reveal. A lot of the Xbox One is really unappealing to me. I usually get both but I have no interest in the One. Maybe that'll change over time but I'm at least waiting for a price drop or a kinect less version.

#33 Posted by Tobyus (100 posts) -

I saw a post with controller comparisons. anyone that fill me in with that :) ??? Like, about the vibrations, rotors in each handle. the triggers as welll

#34 Edited by Aviar (408 posts) -

I've always bought both competing consoles over the years. I had my 360 on day one, but waited for the 2nd version of the PS3 to be released to get it. This time Sony is getting the nod for the day one purchase. I really like what Sony is doing with PS+ and the integration they are doing with the Vita and the newly announced PS Vita TV. I have no interest in all of the sports stuff on the Xbox, and as far as Xbox Live it's just another 50 bucks for something I rarely use as I don't do a lot of "online multi-player".

For me the biggest deciding factors would be what system are your friends getting, if you do online multi-player.

Price could also be another factor that sways your decision. With the Xbox One being $100 dollars more (in the US) that may push people to look more at the PS4.

I think both systems are going to be very close spec wise, but we will have to wait and see how what the game developers can get out of them and which SDK is easier to use.

#35 Edited by Final_Bawse (38 posts) -

At the moment, I am leaning more towards the PS4, but I remain a bit skeptical.

I am totally in love with my PS3 at the moment, but it took a while to get there.

For a long time, I hated XMB, I hated the way I would get DLC late, hated that certain games were just nonsense compared to the 360 versions. (I SUFFERED with Skyrim)

Right now, things are looking way up for Sony, but the games and the general feel will be the decider for me.

I will probably give it about a year.

#37 Edited by tourgen (4427 posts) -

I have a PS4 release day pre-order and Killzone coming. The PS4 hardware is much more interesting to me because they went all the way with the unified memory architecture. Sony is also already talking about HMD gaming and releasing their own HMD. I'd rather they supported Rift but at least they are talking the hardcore gaming language. The xbox kind of phoned it in, and then dedicated 2 cores to kinect processing and other non-gaming tasks. But football and cable TV I guess? Two things I don't care about. Good luck with that guys.

#38 Posted by Tobyus (100 posts) -

I'm getting more and more sold on PS4. It feels good though, PS4 seem to really be one of a kind machine and they think of everything.

#39 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

I've stuck with Sony since the PS1 days and had a side-order of Nintendo every time the generation ended(N64, GC and Wii). I bought a 360 back when I didn't have a gaming PC and wanted to play Mass Effect 1 and Dead Rising 1. It's probably one of the worst consoles I've owned in terms of build quality and exclusives, and after the big push for TV and flip-flopping MS has done for the past few months I will buy a PS4. Just not at launch. Only idiots and gaming journalists(because it's their job) buy consoles at launch

#40 Posted by cloudnineboya (763 posts) -

This just made me think what a sony fanboy i am and i didn't even know it, and how much i want the ps4 so badly. kinda thinking it was a bad decision to upgrade my gpu now, not even noticing a great deal of performance boost from my old card which has me worried for when next gen games come out. I love my pc but owning a console is so much simpler and do not have to worry about graphic settings and performance. Oh well have fun you lucky fuckers.

#41 Posted by Davvyk (693 posts) -

I did own a PS1 and loved it. I owned a PS2 and loved it. I then jumped to 360 and loved it.

I have been jumping between the PS4 and XBO since their announcements without being able to make my mind up. I love the XBOX ecosystem and Live but something about the PS4 excites me this gen. I'm thinking i might end up getting both at launch now, ive saved up to buy the XBO and i think ill try get the PS4 as a christmas present. I plan to put the XBO in the living room so i can use Kinect voice for netflix/TV etc and then put the PS4 in my gaming room.

#42 Edited by jaycrockett (428 posts) -

Current 360 owner for this generation. At this point I'm skeptical of both XBONE and PS4, though my perception of PS4 has definitely improved this year.

I'm waiting to see the games. My birthday is in March, that's probably the earliest I make a decision. I won't be buying both I don't think.

#43 Edited by Scullinator (512 posts) -

I have not seen the games to make me want to buy either system yet.

I have always been an xbox fan since the original console. And I value my long tenure with xbox live. However If I was to get a console at launch it would more than likely be a PS4 because of price.

I would have stayed on the xbox bandwagon if they had backwards compat. with 360 games and allowed me to use my 360 arcade sticks. So for now ill just keep my 360 and wait and see with these new console. Something I should have done when the 360 came out. I was a Red Ring of Death Victim.

#44 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

I'm mostly an all system guy so i'm sure i will get them all at some point. But at launch i will focus on ps4 because i feel they have been making all the right moves. By fixing many wrongs and keeping up with the few big rights they did with ps3. I don't hate Microsoft or think they are all evil or anything but i did not like how they handled the reveal of the system. It felt like i was being talked down to or being given that slick car salesmen speech. So i will speak with my wallet and wait on the XBO. Also launch reveal aside i want to wait for an exclusive that speaks to me on XBO.

#45 Posted by Tobyus (100 posts) -

I'm mostly an all system guy so i'm sure i will get them all at some point. But at launch i will focus on ps4 because i feel they have been making all the right moves. By fixing many wrongs and keeping up with the few big rights they did with ps3. I don't hate Microsoft or think they are all evil or anything but i did not like how they handled the reveal of the system. It felt like i was being talked down to or being given that slick car salesmen speech. So i will speak with my wallet and wait on the XBO. Also launch reveal aside i want to wait for an exclusive that speaks to me on XBO.

When you have them all, do you feel thats neccessery?? I mean, isnt overwhelming having two consoles?

#46 Posted by Pedrofrazillio (28 posts) -

I never had a Playstation before. I am from the Super Nintendo , NIntendo 64 generation. After that time passed i was always playing computer games. Finally, when Xbox (the very first one) came out, i start playing in a friend house. I did not had the console, he did. I remember we played Halo multiplayer and it was a lot of fun. I think that is the reason i bought a Xbox 360 3 years ago. I enjoyed but a year ago until now Microsoft dissapointed me. The game crashed a lot (specially when i was online), and for almost 6 months i WASN'T able to log in on my xbox live account (i was a gold member). It keep asking me to put my e-mail, and after that it just showed a stupid error and i could not connect. I was REALLY angry. At the same time that was happening i sold my old HP laptop and decide to buy a Sony Vaio. I think my decision for a PS4 started there, lol. I loved the laptop and still love. When the news about PS4 and XBOX One came out, i didnt had any doubt: i was going or the PS4. The higher price and stupid rules (only playing online, not able to trade games, etc) made my decision even more satisfactory. lol

Even being the 1st time i will have a Playstation, i am positive that i wont regret at all. Sony just got a new customer, probably for many years, maybe forever.

#47 Posted by Tesla (1907 posts) -

I've been gaming for a while, so I like to think I've outgrown allegiances.

I'm buying a PS4 at launch because, quite frankly, I just want new tech. This generation has gone on long enough. And even as someone who games on consoles and PC I'm just ready for that new shit. So, I'm getting a PS4 initially because it's more powerful and cheaper, plain and simple. I'll get an Xbone eventually and still upgrade my PC as needed...I'm just excited that we're finally at that point again when the lowest common denominator gets increased. No matter what platform you prefer, these leaps always benefit the gamer.

That said, I think smart money is on PS4 first, then Xbox One after a price drop or two. Unless of course you can upgrade your PC for less than $400 and have something better than the PS4. Either way, I'm ready for a new generation. Everyone loves to be a cynic but to me, new console hardware is where it's at for this hobby of ours. If you aren't excited, it's time to reevaluate your situation.

#48 Edited by Liroku (2 posts) -

In short, I will definitely be going with a PS4 this generation, although I was solely Xbox on the current gen. Here is why;

When I was 13 and PS1 came out I got it and fell in love immediately. The year PS2 came out my little brother got it for xmas and we played the buttons off it. I LOVE jrpg, I loved so many titles. The Xbox(original) released and I had a job by this point and bought one just because it was "the cool thing" to own in my area at the time and as a teenager I needed to fit in.

Halo; My friend got an Xbox along with PGR and Halo. No one really gave a damn about halo at this point, but since he had it we tried it and of course it was a really amazing game for it's time. Game after game became more and more popular on Xbox and before you knew it everyone had one and then Halo 2 happened. All bets were off. If you didn't have an Xbox and Halo 2 you were of no interest to your fellow gamers. My little brother's PS2 had not been forgotten however, I had FFXI, the HDD kit, and 256k broadband cable modem. I would swap consoles with him so I could use the PS2 in my room and he would play Halo in his. I found and fell in love with .Hack amongst many other titles. However, this inevitably changed. The new generation arose.

Xbox360; Releasing a year ahead of it's competition and with the typical "Western" mindset and friends this was really the only option. Did I want it because I liked the game line up? No not really. I bought into the 360 scene, because it was the "cool" and popular thing to have and being a very young adult I still felt the need to fit in and give in to peer pressure. Seeking acceptance and adoration from my friends fueled my decision to not only buy this console, but to always get the latest games and be better than all those around me.

Brand Loyalty; Some may call this fanboyism, but it's more than that. After maturing through the next decade I began to realize I miss those Sony exclusives that I had such fond memories of. I began questioning why I don't own a PS3. I was never really TRULY happy with my Xbox. I did have some great games, but it didn't pull at my heart like the Playstation. Did I give in and sell my 360 and buy a PS3? No. Why you ask? My library of games, multiple controller purchases, time spent, achievements, and LIVE subscription. I was in too deep. I spent so much money and time on Xbox I felt compelled to stick with it. That switching would be throwing it all away in a sense.

Resolution; Having plenty of time to contemplate these fact, and the arguable loss of backwards compatibility. I had a chance to put things into perspective. Are my achievements worth anything? Are they worth holding me back from the games I miss and truly want? What about PSN? It's much cheaper than LIVE with much better benefits. The PS4 and the Sony team are really showing these facts for what they are and have shed light on what I really knew all along. I have been a closet Sony fanboy and it's time to step out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story aside the only thing XBO has going for it, in my eyes, is the kinect. Well, I was excited about the first one and spent $150 on it. The novelty wore off faster than the Nintendo Virtual Boy. It's cumbersome to use, and although many games were innovative it was just a novelty feeling throughout my experience. It leaves me unable to be excited about it's successor.

#50 Edited by Drekly (153 posts) -

I'm buying a PS4, but not until next year, I just can't afford to shell out that much money for the console AND the 60 dollar games.

I decided instead to get a PS3 (as I was originally a 360 owner) to get myself into the Sony eco-system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.