Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Game download issues?

bigstrat2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Not sure if anyone else is having problems like this - I couldn't find anything on the mighty Google so I'm guessing not. I decided (kind of spur of the moment) to purchase NFS Rivals on the PSN store the other night, and have never actually been able to get it to run properly. I launch the game, the intro video plays, and then it is stuck on a loading screen with a spinning circle - seemingly forever, but I have only let it run a couple hours before getting fed up and turning the PS4 off. Needless to say, I don't think that the loading screen actually takes a couple of hours.

I have tried deleting and re-downloading the game (multiple times) with mixed results. Once it took me far enough to get through the tutorial "here is your garage, etc etc" part, but stuck on the loading screen when I tried to hit the tutorial race (or whatever the first thing you select on the map is). And that time the intro movie was also busted - it would stop playing after 10 seconds and skip to the game. Other times I have redownloaded, the intro movie has been busted - but no garage tutorial. And sometimes the intro movie works fine, but again it gets stuck on the loading screen.

Based on the hit or miss problems I'm having, and the fact that sometimes the intro movie is clearly not downloaded properly, I am going to say that the download is getting corrupted and the PS4 isn't doing a very graceful job recovering from this situation. Does that seem like a reasonable hypothesis to others, has anyone else had similar issues, and what would y'all suggest? If I can't get this resolved I am obviously going to have to try to get Sony to refund my purchase (cause I have no intention of paying for a game I can't play), but I would really rather not have to fight with customer service to get a refund. I just want my damn game to work. :(

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Troubleshoot your network. With the next gen consoles your bandwidth needs to increase as well. If you are dealing with a terrible <2 mb/s Canadian internet connection you are screwed.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What's your download speed like? 1. The game needs to download. Have you been able to download other things okay? 2. It may be trying to connect to Origin. I had similar freezing when I installed the game because I couldn't connect to Origin. NFS also has this Autolog nonsense that it's trying to connect. I played the entire tutorial and was dropped into an empty world with all AI players. I shut off the console and came back the next day and had a whole series of new logins that I didn't encounter the first time. I guess Origin wasn't working initially, but loaded the second time around.

bigstrat2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigstrat2003

I have a 50/5 connection from TWC that works fine for all other purposes (Steam downloads, etc), so I have a hard time imagining it's the internet connection. Also worth noting that I am not just trying to launch the game after the 3 GB initial download, I am actually waiting for the full 16 GB download to report as finished. Still no worky.

I guess it is possible that it's my long-ass ethernet cable going to the wall jack, so I can try using my wireless and see how that goes. I have downloaded Resogun and Contrast with no issues, but that was while I had my PS4 on the wi-fi I believe.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So NFS Rivals is a little weird. Yes it downloads a base file that can run and play the intro. But after that it needs to download the rest of the game. However, unlike most other games you cannot play during this time. It took me quite a few hours for the rest of the download to complete when I bought it too.

bigstrat2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that other download above and beyond the 16 GB that downloads from PSN? Cause I did notice that the PSN download is only 3 GB initially, and is then another 13 GB after it finishes with that (but you can run the game after only the 3 GB).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.