Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Games with Daily Rewards should be more considerate of how these new consoles work

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

The first game I played this generation that had daily rewards was this spring's MLB 15 The Show, which allured me after seeing my friends get really into Diamond Dynasty, a mode where you create a player and then collect card packs to build a team of all-stars and compete with them online. The game also gives you a free card every time you log in to the game, and after 10 days of logging in gives you a pack to open.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is the second game I've played this year with a blatant rewards system, and it's solidifying something I already felt could be a problem going forward if developers weren't more careful. Once you get enough good players in Diamond Dynasty it doesn't necessarily matter if you have the best players since MLB 15 is a game of player skill as much as it is a computer simulation. But in MGS 5 it's absolutely beneficial to be getting those MB Coin buffs (however inconsequential they may actually be), Fuel Resource dumps, GMP dumps, etc.

The trouble with both these games is that they don't register you as logging in if you simply revive the system from rest mode and hop back into the game. Don't get me wrong, I understand this complaint is slightly petty; I could just close the game before I power the system down as if I were playing on PC or an older console. But the PS4 has conditioned me to do otherwise, and the convenience of being able to load directly into my helicopter without reading that disclosure bombardment and loading my save is hard to pass up.

I'll usually go a day or two without logging out and logging back in to get my reward; back at the height of my MLB playing, I'd regularly go nearly a week without thinking to back out and get another card toward my pack unlock. This kind of makes me feel like I'm being penalized for using the system as it was intended, and I wish developers could find a way to be more considerate of the rest/suspend modes this generation of consoles operates with.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Seems more like Sony needs to fix its sleep to awake state.

Hopuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you sure you need to log out and back in for MGS V rewards? On the PC I feel like I've gotten the rewards mid-play even if I was playing continuously before the daily reward switched to the new one. Either way I'm sure you don't need to actually close the system for it, surely just using the disconnect function and then connecting back online would work.

Frankly I'm shocked if it actually keeps your connection to Konami's servers even if you use sleep mode, are you sure it doesn't just disconnect and you then miss out on the reward because you didn't log back in?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Devil240Z

I haven't had any problems when the servers are actually working. But in a game like GTA Online its actually broken when you resume the game and if you don't reboot the game you actually can not reconnect to GTAO.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@hopuk said:

On the PC I feel like I've gotten the rewards mid-play even if I was playing continuously before the daily reward switched to the new one.

Same here, at least on PC anyway.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hatking

Similar issue is that game clocks that count pause time, often continue running while you're in those low power states.

I know Witcher 3 was a long game, but I'm pretty fucking sure it didn't take me 552 hours to beat it. I'm also pretty sure I didn't drop 20 hours into Phantom Pain before rescuing Miller.

Edit: Sorry I didn't mark the spoiler, but for those concerned, it is in reference to the first mission after the prologue.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: Yeah this is my bet hait so with games that I like to keep track of that I end up having to close the game and negate the feature entirely. For what it's worth though on Xbox One the OS level timer in game hub seems to be lower so I think that's actually tracking time the game window is active. Those two times on The Witcher 3 differed by about 20 hours which accounts for a day I had left it open but asleep.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy84: Oh cool, I didn't even realize there was an OS level timer on the Xbox One. I'll take a look today and see if that seems a little more reasonable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.