Ghosts on PS4, 49 GB Mandatory Install

#1 Posted by JayEH (516 posts) -

So this post on neogaf talks about someone getting their hands on the back of the case of Ghosts for PS4 and the mandatory install is BIG. I didn't realize that games had to be installed on PS4 as well as XONE. I'm really not liking how the future of games will be in terms of GB. That 500 GB HDD will fill up fast...

#2 Posted by mikey87144 (1648 posts) -

That's the entire game. Is it really just like PC were you install the full game?

#3 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

This is more reason I'm glad I'm going digital. All the disc people get fucked along with me.

And if their PC specs are right, the install is 40 GB.

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Hard Disk Space: 40GB
  • Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
  • Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
  • DirectX: DirectX 11
  • Internet: Broadband Internet connection for Steam and Online Multiplayer

So it'd be weird if its 49 GB on next-gen consoles. Throw current gen in as a huge install too, why not.

#4 Edited by spraynardtatum (2528 posts) -

fuck that noise

#5 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

We're gonna need a bigger hard drive.

#6 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

I remember the last time this happened it was because you need enough space to hold the downloaded game as well as the install at the same time.

The game is probably 24.5GB but feel free to cause a stir about it like always.

#7 Posted by RonGalaxy (2839 posts) -

Could be that it's 4.9 and he's fucking with people by using a shitty camera (which wouldn't show the decimal point very well)

#8 Posted by MB (11893 posts) -

Wow, that's a lot of on-disc DLC.

=D

#9 Edited by joshwent (2052 posts) -

Whether this is true or not, around 50 gigs isn't unreasonable. Texture files are big. Super high-res texture files are huge. This is simply going to be next-gen file size, and in a few years we'll all be used to it.

#10 Edited by Flappy (2113 posts) -

"I think I'm gonna need a bigger box," Taco Bell Dog

#11 Posted by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

With every console coming with 500GB of space this isnt that bad is it? Im more worried about these long loading times that have been floating around and if running of the HDD they are that long then WTF man

#12 Posted by jimmyfenix (3813 posts) -

Riley the dog is 49GB

#13 Posted by falserelic (5278 posts) -

That's fucking ridiculous, they're trying to fuck us goddamn it.

#14 Edited by TheHT (10804 posts) -

You can still replace the hard drive right? This is fine then.

#15 Posted by AMyggen (2460 posts) -

There's ghosts in the PS4?!

I don't understand how this comes as a surprise for anyone. Games are getting bigger and bigger, and have been this big on the PC for a while now. It will only get worse as graphics improve.

#16 Posted by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

@amyggen said:

I don't understand how this comes as a surprise for anyone. Games are getting bigger and bigger, and have been this big on the PC for a while now. It will only get worse as graphics improve.

This^

BF3 was 30GB on PC wasnt it? Uncharted 3 and last of us are also around that number on digital download so its nothing new, but 20GB more and we all run to the hills? Some people have their mind stuck in 2001 when hard drives were 10GB.

Its oblivious a game like COD you keep installed for the MP but say watchdogs is also 50GB well once your done i don't think you need to keep it installed just in case you might play it 3 years later its the exact same story on PC and steam once im done i remove the game and move on.

When everyone installed Skyrim and it was only 4GB people lost their shit and said the game must be crap so if thats anything to go by now Ghosts must be amazing?

#17 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Riley the dog is 49GB

Man, how can you not love that dog? I remember during the live stage reveal, the whole Bombcrew went from half asleep to "OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT CUTE DOG".

#18 Posted by Yummylee (21208 posts) -
@mb said:

=D

Oh!

#19 Posted by JayEH (516 posts) -

@benny said:

I remember the last time this happened it was because you need enough space to hold the downloaded game as well as the install at the same time.

The game is probably 24.5GB but feel free to cause a stir about it like always.

Theres no download if you have a disc.

#20 Posted by Pezen (1550 posts) -

This is a huge reason why I thought the sizes on next gen hard drives to be complete nonsense, especially with the whole "let's get digital". A big meh!

#21 Posted by erhard (379 posts) -

Embrace the digital future already you fucking luddites.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14520 posts) -

I'm not exactly against digital but when you figure in reality you'll most likely have around 460 ~ 470 GB in actual usable space with 40GB you've already taken up a large large chunk. With steam on my PC I have about a 100 or so games installed most of those games are around 10GB at the most though. If High End PC titles like the Witcher 2 dropped and are like only 20 some GB how the hell is a game like CoD Ghosts 40 GB?

#23 Posted by Andorski (5173 posts) -

At least the PS4 can take 2.5" SATA HDDs (I think, right?).

If this is the new norm though it would have been better if they incorporated a 3.5" HDD bay.

#24 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

That's fucking ridiculous, they're trying to fuck us goddamn it.

How exactly are they trying to fuck you here...

The game is large and needs to be installed and that's how big it is.

#25 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

Do people really have trouble deleting installs? What's the issue?

#26 Edited by believer258 (11563 posts) -

@amyggen said:

This^

BF3 was 30GB on PC wasnt it? Uncharted 3 and last of us are also around that number on digital download so its nothing new, but 20GB more and we all run to the hills? Some people have their mind stuck in 2001 when hard drives were 10GB.

Its oblivious a game like COD you keep installed for the MP but say watchdogs is also 50GB well once your done i don't think you need to keep it installed just in case you might play it 3 years later its the exact same story on PC and steam once im done i remove the game and move on.

When everyone installed Skyrim and it was only 4GB people lost their shit and said the game must be crap so if thats anything to go by now Ghosts must be amazing?

Whoa, BF3 was not 30GB. Also my family had a computer in 2001 with an 80GB HDD, thank you very much! The biggest game on PC that I know of is Max Payne 3, and it is almost 30GB.

Anyway, this was getting pretty inevitable. A lot of the more graphically intense PC games that I own - Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, Crysis 2, BF3, The Witcher 2, etc. - are between ten and twenty GB's. Between pausing it so other people can use the internet and the general shittiness of my current internet, 50GB is a two week download so I see a lot of physical purchases in my future. Unfortunately, that's gonna be part of the next generation.

#27 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

@ikilledthedj said:

@amyggen said:

This^

Whoa, BF3 was not 30GB. Also my family had a computer in 2001 with an 80GB HDD, thank you very much! The biggest game on PC that I know of is Max Payne 3, and it is almost 30GB.

Anyway, this was getting pretty inevitable. A lot of the more graphically intense PC games that I own - Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, Crysis 2, BF3, The Witcher 2, etc. - are between ten and twenty GB's. Between pausing it so other people can use the internet and the general shittiness of my current internet, 50GB is a two week download so I see a lot of physical purchases in my future. Unfortunately, that's gonna be part of the next generation.

BF3 was 30GB after all the map pack releases, so sayeth my BF3 directory.

#28 Posted by Nightriff (4866 posts) -

@flappy said:

"I think I'm gonna need a bigger box," Taco Bell Dog

Loved that commercial from back in the day. Godzilla is an underrated movie, it is a good bad in my book.

#29 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

@korwin said:

@believer258 said:

@ikilledthedj said:

@amyggen said:

This^

BF3 was 30GB after all the map pack releases, so sayeth my BF3 directory.

Oh. That explains it. I only bought one DLC for BF3.

But I remember the base game being around 16 or 18GB? Are those map packs really big enough to bump it to 30GB? I thought that most of that game's size came from the bloated tumor that is the single player.

#30 Edited by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -
#31 Posted by xyzygy (9868 posts) -

Wouldn't it be the same amount on X1?

#32 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

@xyzygy: Yup! This thread almost belongs in the Ghosts hub, but its PS4 so its special.

#33 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

We're gonna need a bigger hard drive.

Where we're going, we don't need hard drives.

#34 Posted by xyzygy (9868 posts) -

@xyzygy: Yup! This thread almost belongs in the Ghosts hub, but its PS4 so its special.

I don't get what's up with people posting new multiplatform launch games in specific console boards. I'm seeing it so much.

#35 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I don't get what's up with people posting new multiplatform launch games in specific console boards. I'm seeing it so much.

Its okay with mods. Just like ike Watch_Dogs is a PS4 game, so it goes in PS4. Eat a brownie, and enjoy the console-launch deliriousness.

#36 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

Do people really have trouble deleting installs? What's the issue?

Yes because waiting for a game to install is always fun when you just want to play.

#37 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@mb said:

=D

Dog Armor.

#38 Edited by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

It's too bad you have to toss that drive when it fills up, it'd be cool if you could delete the content from the games you haven't been playing recently.

#39 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

It comes with 500GB ... let's say it has 450GB available ... that's still a heap of games you can install. #dealwithit

#41 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I bet the game will still look no better than Battlefield 3 on a PC from 2011.

40GB for a Call of Duty game is pretty funny because they never push anything forward so I don't get where that space is going. Maybe it's just 1080P cutscenes to replace any loading screens (like Max Payne 3) instead of super low-res FMV.

#42 Edited by MB (11893 posts) -

Do any of you guys remember back when the PS3 first launched, there was a game with an absurdly large installation size...and it turned out that a large percentage of that was all of the different localized voice work? I forgot which game it was, possibly Killzone, but seeing this made me think of that.

#43 Edited by gike987 (1747 posts) -

The game is 1080p now so it will have 1080p cutscenes which takes more space, that's probably why it's so big. Same reason Max Payne 3 is 30GB on PC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.