Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Ghosts on PS4, 49 GB Mandatory Install

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So this post on neogaf talks about someone getting their hands on the back of the case of Ghosts for PS4 and the mandatory install is BIG. I didn't realize that games had to be installed on PS4 as well as XONE. I'm really not liking how the future of games will be in terms of GB. That 500 GB HDD will fill up fast...

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's the entire game. Is it really just like PC were you install the full game?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

This is more reason I'm glad I'm going digital. All the disc people get fucked along with me.

And if their PC specs are right, the install is 40 GB.

• CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • Hard Disk Space: 40GB
    • Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
    • Sound: DirectX compatible sound card
    • DirectX: DirectX 11
    • Internet: Broadband Internet connection for Steam and Online Multiplayer

So it'd be weird if its 49 GB on next-gen consoles. Throw current gen in as a huge install too, why not.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By spraynardtatum

fuck that noise

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're gonna need a bigger hard drive.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember the last time this happened it was because you need enough space to hold the downloaded game as well as the install at the same time.

The game is probably 24.5GB but feel free to cause a stir about it like always.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be that it's 4.9 and he's fucking with people by using a shitty camera (which wouldn't show the decimal point very well)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Wow, that's a lot of on-disc DLC.

=D

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By joshwent

Whether this is true or not, around 50 gigs isn't unreasonable. Texture files are big. Super high-res texture files are huge. This is simply going to be next-gen file size, and in a few years we'll all be used to it.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Flappy

"I think I'm gonna need a bigger box," Taco Bell Dog

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With every console coming with 500GB of space this isnt that bad is it? Im more worried about these long loading times that have been floating around and if running of the HDD they are that long then WTF man

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Riley the dog is 49GB

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fucking ridiculous, they're trying to fuck us goddamn it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By TheHT

You can still replace the hard drive right? This is fine then.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's ghosts in the PS4?!

I don't understand how this comes as a surprise for anyone. Games are getting bigger and bigger, and have been this big on the PC for a while now. It will only get worse as graphics improve.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

I don't understand how this comes as a surprise for anyone. Games are getting bigger and bigger, and have been this big on the PC for a while now. It will only get worse as graphics improve.

This^

BF3 was 30GB on PC wasnt it? Uncharted 3 and last of us are also around that number on digital download so its nothing new, but 20GB more and we all run to the hills? Some people have their mind stuck in 2001 when hard drives were 10GB.

Its oblivious a game like COD you keep installed for the MP but say watchdogs is also 50GB well once your done i don't think you need to keep it installed just in case you might play it 3 years later its the exact same story on PC and steam once im done i remove the game and move on.

When everyone installed Skyrim and it was only 4GB people lost their shit and said the game must be crap so if thats anything to go by now Ghosts must be amazing?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grissefar

Riley the dog is 49GB

Man, how can you not love that dog? I remember during the live stage reveal, the whole Bombcrew went from half asleep to "OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT CUTE DOG".

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@mb said:

=D

Oh!

No Caption Provided

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benny said:

I remember the last time this happened it was because you need enough space to hold the downloaded game as well as the install at the same time.

The game is probably 24.5GB but feel free to cause a stir about it like always.

Theres no download if you have a disc.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a huge reason why I thought the sizes on next gen hard drives to be complete nonsense, especially with the whole "let's get digital". A big meh!

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Embrace the digital future already you fucking luddites.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm not exactly against digital but when you figure in reality you'll most likely have around 460 ~ 470 GB in actual usable space with 40GB you've already taken up a large large chunk. With steam on my PC I have about a 100 or so games installed most of those games are around 10GB at the most though. If High End PC titles like the Witcher 2 dropped and are like only 20 some GB how the hell is a game like CoD Ghosts 40 GB?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

At least the PS4 can take 2.5" SATA HDDs (I think, right?).

If this is the new norm though it would have been better if they incorporated a 3.5" HDD bay.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fucking ridiculous, they're trying to fuck us goddamn it.

How exactly are they trying to fuck you here...

The game is large and needs to be installed and that's how big it is.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people really have trouble deleting installs? What's the issue?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Justin258

@amyggen said:

This^

BF3 was 30GB on PC wasnt it? Uncharted 3 and last of us are also around that number on digital download so its nothing new, but 20GB more and we all run to the hills? Some people have their mind stuck in 2001 when hard drives were 10GB.

Its oblivious a game like COD you keep installed for the MP but say watchdogs is also 50GB well once your done i don't think you need to keep it installed just in case you might play it 3 years later its the exact same story on PC and steam once im done i remove the game and move on.

When everyone installed Skyrim and it was only 4GB people lost their shit and said the game must be crap so if thats anything to go by now Ghosts must be amazing?

Whoa, BF3 was not 30GB. Also my family had a computer in 2001 with an 80GB HDD, thank you very much! The biggest game on PC that I know of is Max Payne 3, and it is almost 30GB.

Anyway, this was getting pretty inevitable. A lot of the more graphically intense PC games that I own - Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, Crysis 2, BF3, The Witcher 2, etc. - are between ten and twenty GB's. Between pausing it so other people can use the internet and the general shittiness of my current internet, 50GB is a two week download so I see a lot of physical purchases in my future. Unfortunately, that's gonna be part of the next generation.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikilledthedj said:

@amyggen said:

This^

Whoa, BF3 was not 30GB. Also my family had a computer in 2001 with an 80GB HDD, thank you very much! The biggest game on PC that I know of is Max Payne 3, and it is almost 30GB.

Anyway, this was getting pretty inevitable. A lot of the more graphically intense PC games that I own - Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3, Crysis 2, BF3, The Witcher 2, etc. - are between ten and twenty GB's. Between pausing it so other people can use the internet and the general shittiness of my current internet, 50GB is a two week download so I see a lot of physical purchases in my future. Unfortunately, that's gonna be part of the next generation.

BF3 was 30GB after all the map pack releases, so sayeth my BF3 directory.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@flappy said:

"I think I'm gonna need a bigger box," Taco Bell Dog

Loved that commercial from back in the day. Godzilla is an underrated movie, it is a good bad in my book.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@korwin said:

@believer258 said:

@ikilledthedj said:

@amyggen said:

This^

BF3 was 30GB after all the map pack releases, so sayeth my BF3 directory.

Oh. That explains it. I only bought one DLC for BF3.

But I remember the base game being around 16 or 18GB? Are those map packs really big enough to bump it to 30GB? I thought that most of that game's size came from the bloated tumor that is the single player.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ikilledthedj
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't it be the same amount on X1?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Yup! This thread almost belongs in the Ghosts hub, but its PS4 so its special.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're gonna need a bigger hard drive.

Where we're going, we don't need hard drives.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Yup! This thread almost belongs in the Ghosts hub, but its PS4 so its special.

I don't get what's up with people posting new multiplatform launch games in specific console boards. I'm seeing it so much.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@xyzygy said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I don't get what's up with people posting new multiplatform launch games in specific console boards. I'm seeing it so much.

Its okay with mods. Just like ike Watch_Dogs is a PS4 game, so it goes in PS4. Eat a brownie, and enjoy the console-launch deliriousness.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people really have trouble deleting installs? What's the issue?

Yes because waiting for a game to install is always fun when you just want to play.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mb said:

=D

Dog Armor.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By toowalrus

It's too bad you have to toss that drive when it fills up, it'd be cool if you could delete the content from the games you haven't been playing recently.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It comes with 500GB ... let's say it has 450GB available ... that's still a heap of games you can install. #dealwithit

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Sooty

I bet the game will still look no better than Battlefield 3 on a PC from 2011.

40GB for a Call of Duty game is pretty funny because they never push anything forward so I don't get where that space is going. Maybe it's just 1080P cutscenes to replace any loading screens (like Max Payne 3) instead of super low-res FMV.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By mike

Do any of you guys remember back when the PS3 first launched, there was a game with an absurdly large installation size...and it turned out that a large percentage of that was all of the different localized voice work? I forgot which game it was, possibly Killzone, but seeing this made me think of that.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gike987

The game is 1080p now so it will have 1080p cutscenes which takes more space, that's probably why it's so big. Same reason Max Payne 3 is 30GB on PC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.