HDCP toggle, video export, 720p Twitch archiving are coming

#1 Posted by cloudymusic (1118 posts) -

The PlayStation blog has announced some new features that will be coming in the next PS4 firmware update, as well as confirmed some other things that are a little further off into the horizon, but are still just as likely to make players happy.

In the next firmware update, "in the coming weeks":

This upcoming update will add a rich video editor with a simple tool to personalize your video clips, and you’ll also be able to export to and save the videos and screenshots you create by pressing the SHARE button to a USB drive. In addition, this update will add an HDCP off option for capturing gameplay via HDMI, a feature we’ve previously said would come after launch. We recognize that some gamers want to record and share longer clips of their gameplay sessions, and we’re excited to deliver this option with PS4. There’s a lot more coming in this update as well, so stay tuned for more—there will be plenty in the update to excite everyone.

tl;dr:

• Video editor
  • Ability to export videos and screenshots to a USB drive
  • Ability to toggle off HDCP for gameplay

And then, a little later on in the future, we also have been promised:

As part of a separate system software update in the future, we have been working with our partners at Twitch and Ustream, and will also be adding the ability for Twitch broadcasts to be archived – another highly requested feature among PS4 fans who are taking advantage of the SHARE button features. These broadcasts will be also provided with a higher resolution of 720p, so PS4 fans can enjoy live broadcasts with clearer images. We’ll have more to come on these updates and more in the coming weeks.

tl;dr: The ability to archive your Twitch broadcasts, and the ability to stream (and archive?) at 720p.

These all sound like great additions to me. The ability to turn off HDCP and export videos to USB both will make uploading footage to YouTube easier, and the Twitch archiving will provide another option for that as well. Is there anything in particular here that you're most excited about?

#2 Edited by cloudymusic (1118 posts) -

Naturally, someone else also posted about this while I was in the process of writing this up. Lock this if you feel like it!

#3 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (587 posts) -

Yours is formatted better, and I have a typo. Lock mine. :)

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14842 posts) -

About damn time. Being able to export the videos especially is awesome.

#5 Edited by Marokai (2982 posts) -

I'm really happy to see that both Sony and Microsoft are fairly aggressively updating their firmware within only just a few months past launch, and doing so productively.

#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11041 posts) -

Cool! I've been thinking about trying to take videos of goofy stuff on the PS4, but I'm not live streaming stuff, and I don't want to export videos to FaceBook. But I will export them to my USB drive!

#7 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@marokai said:

I'm really happy to see that both Sony and Microsoft are fairly aggressively updating their firmware within only just a few months past launch, and doing so productively.

Ain't competition grand?

#8 Posted by TheHBK (5486 posts) -

Hold on, what does a HDCP toggle mean? That means the user has to go in and turn of HDCP protection to capture? It doesn't just do it?

#9 Posted by tourgen (4505 posts) -

Can we disable HDCP globally, 100% of the time? Because fuuuuuuuck frame lag induced my shitty firmware copy protection bullshit.

#10 Posted by cloudymusic (1118 posts) -

@tourgen said:

Can we disable HDCP globally, 100% of the time? Because fuuuuuuuck frame lag induced my shitty firmware copy protection bullshit.

I highly doubt you will ever be able to turn off HDCP when watching movies.

#11 Posted by TurboMan (7550 posts) -

Thank God.

#12 Posted by spraynardtatum (2977 posts) -

Exporting to USB sounds awesome.

#13 Posted by Sergio (2131 posts) -

@tourgen: @thehbk: It's most likely a toggle controlled by the developer/publisher to allow their games to be captured through HDMI. It probably isn't something the user would set, since they won't be allowing you to turn it off while watching movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.