Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

How Important is Backwards Compatibility for PS Orbis PS4 to you as a consumer?

• 120 results
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

Edited By ShinjiEx

Poll How Important is Backwards Compatibility for PS Orbis PS4 to you as a consumer? (298 votes)

It's a major insensitive when considering purchasing the next PlayStation Console System 33%
    I don't mind or care cause I have small library of PS3 games 67%

For me it's a major factor in general for next gen consoles to play video games from current to previous consoles

However strong rumors suggest Sony will be doing streaming PS3 video games via PS Orbis PS4 as well possibly PS1 & PS2

Which I'd be cool with if the subscription price is decent most likely streaming video games will be part of PS Plus however

But at the end of the day being able to use my PS3 discs would be nice and would help boost sells of the PS Orbis PS4

• 
    Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I have a huge library of PS3 games because it is my only console but I don't care at all. If I really want to play PS3 games, it wont be hard to hook a PS3 up especially with the HDMI switchers and such.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Considering the PS4 will probably be my first Sony console, I don't care either way.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By Anund

This is a typical example of the wording of the options trying to skew the result of the poll. I too have a multitude of PS3 games, but no interest in backwards compatibility. I have a backwards compatible PS3. Guess what? I used that feature once since I bought it back at release.

Faramir82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Has no bearing on if I get the PS4 or not.

Cuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have alot of consoles and im not at all bothered with sony not having backwardscompability in the ps4, i can still use my old console to play those games that i want to play. and im pretty sure that will in the end fall into the category off me missing the Souls games and going back for a few hours to play em again when it comes to the ps3.

the thing i think alot of the people being pissed off at sony concerning the backwards compability, boils down to the less fortunate when it comes to the cash. i can see lots of people wanting to sell off their old ps3 to fund the ps4 and that is why they want to have backwardscompability so that they can play the select games they really liked from the ps3.

in the end im happy with what sony is doing with this coming console, especially on the hardware side the x86 will help them alot when it comes to 3rd party support. And i hope this will help boost the pc port quality that has been just awful for the most part the last two years. a increasingly depressing trend :S

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I know my digital games are safe, little (but still some) bearing.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

I have no interest in bc because im still going to have my PS3 connected for a while, just in case there is a drought in video game releases on the PS4.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Doesn't matter since my PS3 won't suddenly disintegrate the second I buy a PS4.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm actually surprised so many people are cool with this! I remember a lot of people were pretty disgusted when Nintendo announced that the Wii U wouldn't be backwards compatible with GCN games.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I always keep my systems anyway, so backwards compatibility is never super important to me.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

What it means for me is that I'll never pay full price for a game no matter how bad I want it. The reason is that I don't like the idea of pissing away $60 for a damn game that you can't even play 5 years later if I so choose. Whereas, if I just stuck to playing games on a PC, I could play that game I paid $50 for, at any time I damn well please.

I've already had to shell a few bucks over to Steam just so I can have my "backwards compatible" version of several games I already own on the 360. And I paid full price for the 360 versions & they may not be BC for the next gen Xbox. I'm not even buying Xbox 360 games right now until I hear word on the BC issue from either Softy or Sorny. Otherwise, if they're not interested in it, then I have no reason to own a next gen console until the prices go down & I can just play older games or turn to Steam rather than the latest. Basically hold out until they do something less dickish. I can certainly find other interesting things to piss away my money on, such as limited edition beer.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few years back, I could buy a Japanese made Sony product knowing that it will last years and years. But now, I had to get the 60 GB fatty repaired after just over a year and it YLOD'd with in a year of repairing it. The slim PS3 I have now is placed on 4 game cases just so it doesn't overheat but I never know when it will keel over and die. So if I knew the PS3 is going to last for a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't really care about backwards compatibility on the PS4. But I know the PS3 will eventually fail and then what happens to my pile of games? This is also the sole reason I am going to wait for the PS4 to morph into its slimmer versions before plunging into the next gen.

Fool me once ...

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d
    deactivated-64ba3d2213a4d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Thinking over it, it means absolutely nothing to me.

Possibly because I've never actually owned a backwards compatible console and games for the system it's backwards compatible with before, so maybe the concept is a bit foreign to me. The only backwards compatible consoles I own are the PS2 and the Wii, when I never owned a PSOne or Gamecube.

Going from PS3 to PS4 though I just really could not care less if the PS4 is backwards compatible or not. Why should I care if the PS4 plays PS3 games? I don't want that, I want a PS4 that plays PS4 games. And if they can cut the price a little by not having compatibility with PS3 games then how is that an issue?

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Its cool to have it but its not something that the PS4 has to have for me. I still get the PS4 regardless

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it should be included but it's not a deal breaker. As far as i'm personally concerned, it only affects how quickly i'd buy into a new system.

I've only bought a new system once there's a handful of good games available for it (which usually coincides with a price drop or some noteworthy bundle package). Launch titles are laughably bad for the most part. At the very least, they're not really doing anything above and beyond the games on current gen consoles. So if they included BC, i'd be willing to invest earlier

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own a PS3 and a PS2, so it's not important to me in the least.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By Morrow

It would definately be cool, but I don't plan to abandon my PS3 anyway :)

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind or care cause I have small library of PS3 games

Stupid to assume that if one has a large library of PS3 games, backward compatibility is a necessity.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#119  Edited By natedawg_kz

If the reason you don't buy a PS4 is because it wont have backwards compatibility then your an anus of the highest calibre. Your PS3 won't vanish when you purchase a PS4.

Unless you don't actually have a PS3 or need to sell your consoles for money

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't matter. Have a PS3 and more than 1 HDMI port on my TV...

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a very large PS3 collection and BC is not important to me at all.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one don't play a lot of games from the previous generation. Pulling out the older consoles for these few games wouldn't bother me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.