Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

I gotta stop looking at reviews for launch games...

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

...they are really bumming me out.

I still have to wait 5 days for my console and game which is need for speed rivals and all these reviews of the launch games being mediocre at best are seriously making me want to end it all and have sweet release from this next gen launch nightmare.

Anyone else feeling this or what!?

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By benspyda

All launch line ups are filled with mediocre games. If you are buying a console at launch that's what you should expect. Remember the Wii U launch or the 360 launch or the ps3 launch. Pretty bleak....

Xbone's launch line up is stronger but its console isn't as powerful so thus is life.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That is just how launch games go. The best thing PS3 had at launch was Resistance Fall of Man. That's it. Atleast with PS4/XBone we have good third party games like BF4, AC4 and even some good downloadable stuff like Resogun and Killer Instinct.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Need for Speed has great reviews overall and most of the games excluding things like knack and loco cycle have gotten at least good reviews. They aren't the best games but there is plenty of stuff that you'll get enjoyment out of. Plus reviews are opinions from other people, judge em for yourself when you get them. I have need for speed and really like it, it's just frustrating that a truly special game is hidden in here somewhere but it never surfaces.

VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

I was very excited before launch, and as soon as launch hit I was kind of bummed out because I couldn't get my PS4 right away. Sure, I didn't have to wait 2 weeks like you do, but the three days wait was gruelling. Now that I have it, I can barely keep my hands off the controller. I have Need For Speed, and it's really enjoyable. Add to that the PSN names thread we have here in the forums and you're bound to grab a big enough posse to really have a blast.

I'm currently waiting for AC4 to download and I'm strangely excited. Seeing all the achievements other people unlock, on my newsfeed, is really pumping me up. I disliked AC3 and didn't even finish it after 30+ hours, but this seems like it could turn me around...

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Zornack

NFS is still a really fun game, just don't go into it thinking it'll be a grand interconnected multiplayer game like Jeff did (I had the same expectations and consider the review and score spot on).

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Honestly, this is probably my favorite launch line up I've experienced. Especially compared to something like the PS3 launch. Face it; the gaming media/community in general is just EXTREMELY jaded/cynical nowadays, no matter the subject. Unless you're the random white knight that everyone latches onto for a month or so.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am a huge fan of AC, but I still will hold out for SKUs with packed in games for the new consoles. Or even the slim versions. Before Watch Dogs and Destiny there is little rush. Then again I have a capable PC. This generation will be about cross plattform games even more - which is probably a good thing.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If your only reason for buying a new console is the launch lineup you're doing it wrong.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Seppli

@rekt_hed:

The review says there's a fantastic game in Rivals. That's the game I'm going to be playing. Jeff's just snitchin' on all its flaws and missed opportunities. I mean it's his job. It's mine to enjoy the games I play. I'm certain I'll enjoy the shit out of Rivals, for what it does right.

I'll also get Battlefield 4, into which I've already sunk 150 hours on PS3, and officially love so friggin' much - I feared I could not love a game so close to BF3's template, but this time DICE just nailed the minutia of it all, and made it as fun as it deserves to be - and with BF Premium it's likely my GotY 2014 for me right there. I'll also get Killzone, which looks solid, and certainly pretty. Resogun seems to be a killer highscore chase, and if I enjoy it anything like Super Stardust Delta, it's a worthwhile timesink for sure. I haven't played Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag either, if I'm starving for something new in January or so - not that I will.

Don't forget the Free 2 Play games, which nobody reviewed, but are known quantities. Many love Warframe and Blacklight Retribution. DC Universe Online has quite a few diehard fans. Soon we'll have War Thunder and Plantside 2 to toy with - the latter is definitely quite amazing, I'll just have to find the time to really dedicate to it, for getting into the whole MMO-FPS thing is not easy. And really, the second wave of games will be here sooner than you think. Infamous and Watchdogs and Titanfall (on PC or Xbox One) and whatnot. Let's not forget all the good stuff that I'll keep receiving from PS+ for PS4 and PS3 and Vita too. Sony has me covered game-wise.

I'm not bummed man. I'm excited. New friggin' games built for a new generation.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Seikenfreak

Just completed Knack a min ago. Game is okay. Definitely average at best. Not as horrible as people make it out to be I think. I'd bet that's because the game feels about twice as long as it should be. I could easily see a reviewer feel alright about the game leading up to the half way point, but by the time you get towards the end you're just begging for it to end. But the game seems in line with what I imagine a team of people could do with a new IP for a launch title.

Also Rivals has been pretty meh for me. I'm not really concerned about the multiplayer aspect but the gameplay itself, the feel of the driving and such, has been a bit meh for me.

If you go into a launch expecting excellent games that measure up to what is coming out at the end of the life cycle of the previous hardware, you will surely be disappointed and think the systems aren't worth it.

But if you go into it looking back at how just about every launch is, then you know what to expect and can set more realistic goals.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have beaten CoD: Ghosts and ACIV. I have Battlefield as well, but it keeps crashing on me which makes me not want to play it. I'm kind of running out of things to play now. Warframe is decent in my opinion. Resogun is good for killing time while having fun with it. Blacklight is just average. I'm looking forward to more releases next year.

Thankfully ACIV has so many side activities to do to keep me busy for a little while.

mirrored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read multiple reviews for launch games but I'm enjoying the hell out of NFS: Rivals and Knack (the latter of which is a huge surprise). Of course, I'm early on in both so that might well change by the end of each game.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is a really good launch actually. One of the better ones cuz its mostly really solid, known quantities.

ACIV is being considered one of the best in the series, a good Need For Speed, Battlefield 4 (maybe the best in the series), Forza, NBA 2K14 (maybe the best sports game ever on a launch), Resogun, Dead Rising 3 (seems cool!), Killer Instinct...I think that's a solid lineup.

There's no Super Mario World but I think the overall quality is very good.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to video games, ignorance is not bliss. Spending $60 on a bad game is one of the worst feeling ever. Having recently been burned by X Rebirth, I can speak from experience on this. :p

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

This is still a better a launch than the last couple of cycles, the games may be mediocre but at least they are here.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Rising, and Killer instinct are surprisingly good IMHO, and if you happen to like Battlefield it is OK, first time I can say you have the full battlefield experience in consoles, with 64 players and all.

should be good enough to take you trough the first months.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benspyda said:

All launch line ups are filled with mediocre games. If you are buying a console at launch that's what you should expect. Remember the Wii U launch or the 360 launch or the ps3 launch. Pretty bleak....

Xbone's launch line up is stronger but its console isn't as powerful so thus is life.

I don't understand the "Xbox One's launch line up is stronger" argument now that reviews are out. Even Polygon dumped on most of those exclusives. And the only two games universally praised are a sim racer and a fighting game, niche for the most part. And the revelations of the gross monetization model at play in Forza 5 and the near constant complaining about how overly aggressive every drivatar is make that game seem like it doesn't deserve the praise that its getting. A $60 release with a $50 DLC season pass doesn't need microtransactions like that.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hunkulese

@benspyda said:

I don't understand the "Xbox One's launch line up is stronger" argument now that reviews are out. Even Polygon dumped on most of those exclusives. And the only two games universally praised are a sim racer and a fighting game, niche for the most part. And the revelations of the gross monetization model at play in Forza 5 and the near constant complaining about how overly aggressive every drivatar is make that game seem like it doesn't deserve the praise that its getting. A $60 release with a $50 DLC season pass doesn't need microtransactions like that.

You don't understand how people consider the launch lineup stronger and then say two games were universally praised and Dead Rising reviewed better than Killzone. There's not much to understand. You can say Resogun and Killer Instinct cancel each other yet and the the Xbox still has two better exclusives than the PS4 has.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By senrat

The PS4 had a pretty typical launch lineup, the xbox one seemed to have an above average launch lineup. Nothing surprising, unless this is your first console launch.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Nictel

Launch games. Still people seem to be genuinely enjoying Knack and Ryse, so there is that.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AC4 is great. I haven't finished it but man....I think it's the stand out of this launch.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@spraynardtatum: Yea I've been thoroughly enjoying AC4 for many an hour now. Lego Marvel is as charming as the Lego games always are and I've got to start playing it again.

I think this was a decent launch. People seem to love to harp on exclusives and always drag a conversation down into one vs. the other, but when speaking generally about launches of new systems, this has been pretty good. There is something for just about everyone.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I don't think the games are bad, just not some super impressive here's a new generation! kind of fresh. Reviewers tend to always crave something new, for a multitude of reasons that includes them playing shit over and over all the time as a job. Think about how crazy the idea of that is.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By THRICE_604

@thrice_604 said:

@benspyda said:

You don't understand how people consider the launch lineup stronger and then say two games were universally praised and Dead Rising reviewed better than Killzone. There's not much to understand. You can say Resogun and Killer Instinct cancel each other yet and the the Xbox still has two better exclusives than the PS4 has.

Ehh I just don't see it. And from a personal standpoint none of the X1 games looked appealing. Too many known quantities for myself. I know I don't like Forza because I've given that series three chances to grab me and its never stuck I know I don't like Dead Rising because I've played first two and they were terrible. And I hated Panzer Dragoon Orta so I knew Crimson Dragon good or bad wouldn't be for me. Microsoft picked a weird line up, Sony did too. But I will admit we're debating over which turd smells the least smelly. Neither launch is "good" from first party. But lets ignore the identical third party line ups and lets laser focus on Killzone and Dead Rising, give me a break. If these two games dropped in the middle of a generation no one would give them a second look. Every one of us who got next gen consoles we're all practically playing the same stuff right now anyways and arguing like it matters that these B and C tier first party releases matter.

infectedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By infectedhero

@thrice_604: Agree i mean there is no point saying which of the two line up is better.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killzone is fantastic. Give it a shot. A lot of these reviewers seem like they don't know how to play the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Several of the first party games are ok, from my experience. And stuff like Battlefield, AC IV, and Need for Speed are getting good reviews (and have been some of my favorite games of the year). I've been enjoying my launch experience so far.

Of course, there's nothing approaching the gold standard of Tekken Tag Tournament at the PS2 launch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.