I'm leaning towards PS4 because of Mark Cerny

#1 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

Typically, many people will pick a console based on exclusives, added functionality, system specs and price. I am not one of those people. I watched both Sony and Microsoft E3 press conferences and decided that PS4 is the one I'll probably get just because of Mark Cerny. Nothing else really mattered. He just seemed really honest, passionate and knowledgeable about things. He laid all the details down without spin (or at least I think there is none) and I appreciated that purity of message. I feel like if he is the one at the helm on the important things on Sony then I can feel at ease because he seems to care.

In contrast, when Marc Whitten said it's "all rocket science stuff" it seemed like he was bluffing and hiding something from me. And don't get me started on Don Mattrick.

The closest person that I can compare with the same passion during the reveal of the Xbox One is Dan Greenawalt and he's not even part of the design team for the Xbox One iirc. What I'm saying here is that I think Microsoft needs a new front man.

#2 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4415 posts) -

Yeah, MS really needs a better spokesman. Peter Moore was good with that stuff back then.

#3 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Microsoft needs new front people. Mattrick, Balmer, Major Nelson, Spencer. They all need to go.

#4 Edited by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

I have to admit that I am pretty infatuated with the sense of wonder, whimsy, and passion that come across in everything Mark Cerny says. I could not be more thrilled about Sony putting a guy like him front and center.

Microsoft on the other hand...wow...they really need their own Mark Cerny. After everything that's happened over the past few months, how the hell do they not scrap most or all of their PR staff and start over?

#5 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2564 posts) -

I'm sticking with Playstation due to the whole team - Cerny definitely included.

Andrew House, Jacky T, Shuhei Yoshida and friends-of-the-site Adam Boyes and Seth Killian. All really cool dudes I don't mind supporting.

#6 Edited by hollitz (1556 posts) -

I've become pretty enchanted with the guy myself. He's just so damn respectable. And if that 15 min Knack E3 demo is any indicator, he's got a good sense of humor (re: his translation skillz).

And for the record, Mattrick seemed like an alright guy. I don't think you can blame all of MS's messaging on him. Or maybe you can, I don't know. He seemed likeable enough to me.

#7 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

Oh dude. Mark Cerny is the best.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (9306 posts) -

While I would say appreciation for a spokesperson at a press event is a questionable reason to choose a product, I would concur with the conclusion that Mark Cerny is a precious and beautiful rose.

http://i.minus.com/i4JqQepFKTEvT.gif

#9 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I'm really impressed with the PS4 team in general. The people they have putting the PS4 out there seem like really proactive parts of the company, rather than just soulless PR people.

#10 Posted by Sterling (2441 posts) -

@darji said:

Microsoft needs new front people. Mattrick, Balmer, Major Nelson, Spencer. They all need to go.

Mattrick for sure. He is just not a good dude to put out in the public. He might be a very good business person behind the curtain, but man does he suck at PR and trying push a product. I think some other higher ups at Microsoft have had to seen this, and we most likely will not see him in the spotlight ever again. At least if they are smart they wont let him speak to the press ever again.

As for Cerny, I agree with you @redcream. He comes across as someone who is actually (because he is) hands on with the product. He actually knows how it works internally. And he is very passionate about his job. He loves games and making games. Not only does he love what he does, he makes that come across when he speaks. He also sounds like he knows what hes talking about. Not something he had to memorize from a memo. This is something none of the Microsoft guys had this year.

#11 Posted by hollitz (1556 posts) -

While I would say appreciation for a spokesperson at a press event is a questionable reason to choose a product, I would concur with the conclusion that Mark Cerny is a precious and beautiful rose.

...is it...is it wrong that I prefer this to Elizabeth?

#12 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

You gotta cling on to something.

#13 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -
#14 Edited by xyzygy (10028 posts) -

I think that basing the console you want on the people who tell you to is a pretty stupid way to decide, but that's just me. These people are not the products, and they're being paid to do what they do.

It's kind of like presenting a school project. A lot of people really suck at presenting them because of many factors, but that doesn't determine the quality of the actual project. You're just looking at the product from an extremely shallow perspective.

"You have a nice smile and sound honest so I'll buy whatever it is you're selling!"

People put too much weight on the consoles and the faces behind them and don't focus enough on the actual games. That's kind of why I hate E3. Just give me game trailers and I'm good.

#15 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Yeah Mark Cerny is a pretty awesome dude who has a lot of experience in the industry.

#16 Edited by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

He seems like such a loveable imp.

Still waiting to see how the hardware is though. I want to know build quality and how it's getting used by developers.

And I won't even get started on Voldemort and the rest of the fucking Death Eaters. Urgh. And yes that's a Harry Potter reference. It was that or Star Wars, so I went the douchier route.

#17 Posted by CosmoKramer (54 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Can't you stop with this juvenile war for a single minute?

On topic, as an aspiring game developer, I have tons of respect and admiration for Cerny's accomplishments. He has now seen the hardware side and loads of the software side of the industry, I'm sure he's got some mad wisdom about video games. He also seems like a very gentle, easy-going, nice person. All hail Cerny.

#18 Edited by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

Yesterday it was brought to my attention that John Carmack approves of the PS4.

q.e.d.

#19 Posted by mrfluke (5265 posts) -

oh goddamm you for that gif lol

#20 Edited by mrfluke (5265 posts) -

oh dude i hope you are trolling,

you're better than this D:

#21 Posted by Bill_Rizer (120 posts) -

It's called marketing

#22 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

Yeah.

#23 Edited by BigJeffrey (5071 posts) -

They all just morph together and form a ocean of corporate shills blatantly trying to sell me on plastic box with the intention of portraying themselves to have a soul.

I'm backing MS because of Don Mattrick, that hair sure is memorizing.

#24 Posted by randiolo (1101 posts) -

If a corporation like microsoft could build a mechanical soulless puppet, it would look like Don Mattrick.

#25 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

Buying the system because he seems as such a kind and gentle person? No.

Buying the system because he designed the hardware, has lots of experience and seems to know exactly what he is talking about? Yes. Buying a system of which the hardware is co-designed by a veteran games developer seems like a really good thing. Of course the games are important, if the system doesn't have any games then it doesn't matter. But that seems all good.

In closing for me, personally, Knack seems to be created thoughtful, fun and throughout everything is designed carefully. Also the interface looks really pretty.

#26 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1471 posts) -

I kind of noticed this during the PS4 reveal conference... meeting thing, but if you listen to him and then watch the Skylanders Giants quick look you'll notice that he kind of sounds like the ghost robot guy. Maybe not exactly alike, but kind of similar what with how they both sound like they're soft spoken.

EDIT: I fucking love how pumped Jimmy Fallon is when he's playing games. I loved the, "Look at that water, are you kidding me?!"

#27 Edited by kishinfoulux (2387 posts) -

That's a silly reason to pick a platform.

#28 Posted by cloudnineboya (827 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: lot more to cling on than there is for the xbone, only appropriate time to use the word xbone for dissing fannyboys .

#29 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

I´m leaning towards quitting all video games.

#30 Edited by Jensonb (1756 posts) -

Mark Cerny is one smart dude. He's got a lot of great credits to his name as well. It's also pretty hard not to like the guy, he just has this fantastic air of genuine enthusiasm.

#31 Posted by Zero_ (1975 posts) -
#32 Edited by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I have to say, people like Adam, Mark Cerny, Yoshida and even Jack Tretton have given a real personal nature to everything playstation recently and that's really refreshing.

#33 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

oh dude i hope you are trolling,

you're better than this D:

@redcream Y'alright.. Uhm, I apologize. And,. I guess my opinion on Cerny is like.. He's a new car salesman. I'm never gonna drive my bad ass car with him, but he sure knows how to sell me on these slick tires. Uhm, he's just a dude. And life has taught me not to idolize people. So That's where I am with that.

That Infamous sure looks cool. There's like 95% of stuff I don't know about that one, and I'ma drool for a couple of years siding with one system for a while, wondering if that trophy of 'Climbing to the tallest tower, and seeing how far I could fly,' is still there.

#34 Posted by MocBucket62 (1244 posts) -

@chibithor: Cerny is pretty awesome! Little surprised that when he brought up the PS1 era, but didn't say that anyone was a mascot for that system. No reference to Crash or Spyro in that discussion.

Also I want to ask, did Anthony Carboni leave Rev3Games and got hired by Sony to promote their games?

#35 Edited by Demoskinos (15008 posts) -

The XBone is made with Science and Magic you guys. Ugh the fact Microsoft keeps using the term "magic" as a way to articulate the inner workings of the box is seriously irritating.

#36 Edited by drainbamage (30 posts) -

Mark Cerny seems awesome and has been a great, genuine pitchman for PS4, but I can't imagine picking between two very expensive products based on whether or not I like/dislike the spokespeople for either company. Miyamoto can still make me feel like a kid when he talks about games and his genuine excitement about them, but that sure as hell hasn't gotten me to jump on the slowly sinking ship that seems to be the Wii U, lol

#37 Edited by CaLe (4018 posts) -

He's a pretty chillaxed dude. I wonder what he's like when he's angry.

#38 Edited by Sergio (2160 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I think that basing the console you want on the people who tell you to is a pretty stupid way to decide, but that's just me. These people are not the products, and they're being paid to do what they do.

It's kind of like presenting a school project. A lot of people really suck at presenting them because of many factors, but that doesn't determine the quality of the actual project. You're just looking at the product from an extremely shallow perspective.

"You have a nice smile and sound honest so I'll buy whatever it is you're selling!"

People put too much weight on the consoles and the faces behind them and don't focus enough on the actual games. That's kind of why I hate E3. Just give me game trailers and I'm good.

I think the big difference here is that Mark Cerny is the lead architect of the PS4 and knows what he's talking about. We don't get "5 billion transistors" from him.

#39 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

He is one experienced and intelligent motherfucker.

He can be straightforward and detailed because the facts are on the side of the PS4. MS on the other hand has to wave their hands around and talk about magic clouds because the straight message doesn't support they msg and agenda.

#40 Posted by Draxyle (1874 posts) -

Never knew who Mark Cerny was before the reveal, but he definitely sold the PS4 like a champ. Talked in plain, easy to understand and logical language to explain exactly how and why the system was built. No BS, just hard facts.

MS's reveal and E3 conferences, on the other hand, were bloated with disingenuous buzzwords after buzzwords. They did not respect my intelligence as a consumer by touting how many millions of transistors their box had. Gamers are more tech savvy than the average audience; we're not so easily fooled.

MS could definitely use some better spokespeople, but there's definitely a lack of proper leadership behind the curtain in general that allows some of their tone-deaf decisions to be made in the first place. They've started to make EA look good lately.

#41 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

If Microsoft brought Jay Allard back to kick facts, everything would be okay again.

#42 Edited by Jnal (215 posts) -

@colourful_hippie: Peter Moore is one of my more liked personalities. He is straight forward whenever possible and he has a pretty good perspective on the industry. Ultimately I'll usually read an interview with him because it usually is somewhat interesting to hear what he has to say.

@darji: For Xbox right now Major Nelson is by far their most likable guy but they have kind of thrown him out in the wind to do damage control and that isn't really fair to him. Time will tell with Mattrick, if the Xbox still struggles to find its footing this generation then you will probably never see Mattrick again near Redmond. As for Ballmer he isn't that strong of a leader, but at least I don't hear him screaming developers over and over again. Worst case for Microsoft is if they pull Gates back for a Steve Jobs like resurrection if things start going really bad in a few years.

Edit: Now with 1400% more developers and sweat

#43 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

First of all... That video. Oh my god.

But yes, Cerny was great. He's much easier to understand than a confusing Japanese guy in a suit, and seems genuinely passionate about the project and his work. He's also got such a great resume.

#44 Posted by Jimbo (9862 posts) -

Can you imagine how fun the last couple weeks would have been if Molyneux had been fronting Microsoft? It would have been incredible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.