Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

If the next Xbox includes anti-used game software, what is your plan for PS4?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll If the next Xbox includes anti-used game software, what is your plan for PS4? (106 votes)

I had Sony and Microsoft consoles this generation, and I'll have them both next generation 42%
    I only had a PS3, and I'll only be getting a PS4 20%
    I only had a 360, but I'll now only be getting a PS4 13%
    I only had a 360, and I still only plan to buy the next Xbox 5%
    I only had PS3, but plan to buy both next generation 0%
    I only had a 360, but plan to buy both next generation 4%
    I had a 360 and/or PS3, but I have no desire to buy a next generation console 11%
    I'm a Nintendo only gamer 0%
    I don't consider myself to be a console gamer 6%

If you didn't know just yet, Sony has recently confirmed that the PS4 will allow used games to be played on the console.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-games

• 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You don't even have my option of owning both the PS3 and 360 but only getting the PS4 next generation.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I only have a Xbox 360 and I'm currently undecided on my plans for next-gen.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Wacomole

So Nintendo owners can't consider buying a PS4 or XBox?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I own them both and will probably get both once again

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If the next XBox has annoying features, I won't get it. Whether or not I have another XBox has nothing to do with whether or not I have another PC or Playstation.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

I don't buy used games anyway, so I don't really care. I'd be more concerned with the XBox not being a total flop in my country before I buy one.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

There are nine poll options and yet several scenarios are still missing, including mine.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares? All of you bitch and moan but you'll all buy it new if that's the only way.

Diablo III was proof of this. Get used to the fact that very soon games will need serial keys to work. It works fine on PC so just nut up and buy games new or wait for Amazon discounts.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't give a fuck about anti used game software. I will eventually get both system (specially if I have a steady job by then).

I only will get one at launch and it will be based on : price, the nitty gritty of the online service, and the exclusive games announced for the first 2 years.

A far, far more important issue is if the online stores for PS4 and next box will be flexible price wise like steam. If games can get price drops and discounted on the regular like steam, then I really, really don't see the need for used games. PC gamers haven't bitched about used games for ..... ever?

Worse Poll ever.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I have a lot of achievements and all my friends are on Live so I'm definitely getting the new Xbox regardless. I'll get the PS4 if there are enough really cool exclusives.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We might as well wonder: If the next xbox includes anti-used game software, what is your plan for lunch?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By pr1mus

I will buy a PS4 because it didn't have any women in its press event.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

We might as well wonder: If the next xbox includes anti-used game software, what is your plan for lunch?

I'm thinking a turkey sandwich and some chips.

Keep in mind, though, anti-used game features mean more than just "oh, poor gamestop will go out of business and game developers will actually get money when you buy their games, boo hoo," if your view is that narrow minded. Anti-used game technology would also mean:

1) No loaning games to friends, or borrowing their games.

2) No taking games to a friends house without bringing along your entire game console.

3) An almost certain requirement to always be connected to the internet.

4) A strong likelihood that no used games would also mean no game rentals.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that most of you don't seem to care about these issues.

At any rate, I realize that not every example is covered by the poll options. Sorry about that, but just go with whatever is closest to your situation.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

It wouldn't affect my decision, I buy all the consoles eventually, plus I buy everything I want to play so I don't need to borrow or rent them. I also have a stable interet connection so that's basically everything covered. I'd lament the lack of rentals but they took care of that themselves three years ago by going out of business pretty much everywhere. Seriously I live in one of the biggest cities in the world and could not tell you for the life of me where to rent anything anymore.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have them both this generation, and fully expect to own both next gen consoles as well.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

You're missing the option "I have both, but I'd only get a PS4." I have both a 360 and PS3. If there's anti-used game functionality in the next Xbox, I'll get a PS4 instead. I almost never buy games new.

That being said, I seriously doubt that the next Xbox will have anti-used game functionality in it. I'm keeping an open mind, but I'm leaning towards the next Xbox until I see a compelling reason why the PS4 is better. So far there's nothing in the PS4 announcement that has changed my mind.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By monkeyking1969

@fluxwavez said:

You don't even have my option of owning both the PS3 and 360 but only getting the PS4 next generation.

That is where I think I am as well. Without a doubt 360 nailed it out of the park at their launch, or seemed to with XBL, achievements, better friends integration, and games like Gear of War. When it launched and for a year the XB360 was just better. It was only when the failure rate was shown to be astronomical and the fact that Microsoft denied it for so long that I soured on Microsoft. I can understand that people are invested with XBL, and their list of friends that play there...but I am SO GLAD I broke away from that.

The key issue for MS are reliability, cost of XBL, and rampant repellent advertising. Renting games, trading games, bring a game to someone's house is meaningless if the cost of ownership and the risk of breakdown continues to dog Microsoft.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More people at least owning a copy of a game that can work in their console leads them, however small of a chance, to pay for DLC that comes along with it. Why would either company say no to what is basically free money for both them and the devs? (I don't know if the publisher even has any hat in the ring of the wild, brazen DLC country of a game they published. If they do, I'd imagine it's very small).

Either way, if there were no used gaming on the new console, I am at least in a position to say that I would not be as affected by it as I used to be now that I have my own source of income. However, I can totally imagine anyone else in the position that I USED to be in pretty angry, so I'd feel for them.

But, again, unlikely. They can shake their fists at used games as much as they want, but they've been making money off them for awhile now, and I can't ever see them just dropping that stream of free money that's going their way.

EarthBowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I have all three consoles from this generation and have enjoyed my time will all of them. I am very interested in getting the PS4 simply for the download features it is offering, it is not only smart but is immensely consumer friendly, which I can appreciate. At this point, I don't really care about the next XBOX simply due to diminishing returns I had with the 360.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^^this right here^^ OP's poll is broken.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Even if it was true that nextbox didn't play used games as the leak suggested there's no way they can stick to their guns now... right?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

As others have said I have both but would lean to PS4. Poll is broken.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loyal Xbot here and to be frank if the neXtbox doesn't play used games then I'll get a PS4 and suck it up when it comes to the controller. Atlhough the perfect solution would be for Sony to release a "totally not Xbox controller guys" controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@fluxwavez said:

This but really I can live with the anti-used game stuff. What I won't do is always online which was the other rumour out of edge.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats on the worst poll choices of the new website so far

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Can't do replies or quotes using the online site, but wanted to put in that I agree with @theveej about steam / app-store style price control will be a major factor for which console I buy next.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mellotronrules

i don't really buy used games, so any sort of anti-used-countermeasure doesn't really impact my buying decision. the really important factor for me will be the services end of things- if microsoft maintains the status quo with live (and sony continues to offer free games), i'm really not interested in the next xbox.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@spaceinsomniac: 1. is very likely, yes. 2. maybe not. If the keys are linked to your profile, then you could likely just log into your profile at your friends house to play the game there. You can already do that with online passes today (at least on the PS3), although they only work for that profile, if I remember correctly.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

None of your option support me, so I went with I'm not a console gamer.

Reason you their is no answer for me is because I own both but only sticking with one of them, PS4

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Probably just stick to PC.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft's stance on used games with their next system isn't going to be the deciding factor for me on which system I buy first. I'll end up with both systems eventually, the only question is which I'll buy before the other. It's going to come down to services and pricing models far more than whether or not the Durango blocks used games or not. If Microsoft doesn't show that they've learned from their mistakes this generation and just put out another box with a bloated, cluttered UI and service offerings that are directionless and behind a membership paywall again, then I'll probably lean towards the PS4.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@scooper said:

Congrats on the worst poll choices of the new website so far

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't buy used games or shop at pawn shops(GameStop) so the used game thing doesn't affect me.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't buy used games or shop at pawn shops(GameStop) so the used game thing doesn't affect me.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll wait till they actually exist and are products before I make a call; you know, like a sensible person.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This poll could have been a simple will you buy it or not question, but w/e. If the next Xbox does block used games, I won't be purchasing it.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only own a PS3, but am undecided yet. I'm happy with my PS3, but I've been missing out on some (J)RPGs that were on the xbox. So I might get an xbox 360 before going to the next gen. I won't buy them at full price anyway.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DystopiaX

@fluxwavez said:

This. Not because of any anti-used game shit (never bought a game used this gen anyway) but because based off the past couple years xbox exclusives are mostly western games, and particularly shooters, whereas the PS4 will also have japanese titles not ported to the xbox. I have a pretty good gaming PC so I can deal with not getting another first person shooter, but even now without my PS3 with me at college I miss playing JRPGs and stuff.

@morrow: wait which JRPGs are exclusive to the 360? Never heard of any.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

The anti used game stuff wouldnt stop me buying the next XBOX because ill have both consoles but it would certainly make it my second choice first buy...if that makes any sense.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By zidd

@dystopiax: the only 360 exclusive JRPG I can think of is blue dragon

I'm leaning towards getting PS4 first and durango if there are any interesting exclusives. I'm not into Halo or Gears of War so I don't think there will be anything worthwhile to choose from but I want to be proven wrong.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'll just buy the Xbox ∞, I guess.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I feel the compulsion to own all the systems I'm able to get. So yeah, I'll have both, eventually.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.