Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

["insider" rumor] Heavier focus on JRPGs from Sony.

• 78 results
    Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There's also the tragic nightmare that is visual novels with RPG combat.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Zeik

@bananasfoster: That's not quite true. If I look back on the JRPGs I've played in the last several years very few are action-based. It's just that like 80% of them are on the 3DS.

But even Ni no Kuni, which is probably the most notable console JRPG to come out in recent memory, was closer to traditional JRPG combat, even with its pseudo action elements. It certainly wasn't Kingdom Hearts-like.

Final Fantasy is really the only series that comes to mind as gravitating more and more in that direction.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@bananasfoster: That's not quite true. If I look back on the JRPGs I've played in the last several years very few are action-based. It's just that like 80% of them are on the 3DS.

But even Ni no Kuni, which is probably the most notable console JRPG to come out in recent memory, was closer to traditional JRPG combat, even with its pseudo action elements. It certainly wasn't Kingdom Hearts-like.

Final Fantasy is really the only series that comes to mind as gravitating more and more in that direction.

Ni No Kuni, sure, but that game came out as being a "throwback" and many game reviewers dinged it as such with stupid comments like "does this gameplay hold up" and "antiquated design". When I talk about JRPGs, I tend to be talking about the general trend in design, not specific games. I mean, you can clearly point to games like Bravely Default as being successful games with traditional design, but they were also billed as "throwback" games. Even Square said it was taken aback and surprised by the success of the Bravely series.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Please put FF5, FF6, Xenogears, and Vagrant Story in a mildly updated form on PS4 and I'd be happy...but new stuff sounds neat too.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I love jrpgs and hope this is at least somewhat accurate. It's always better to hope, I guess

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Monster Hunter PS4?

Don't Nintendo have MH down right now, that'd be a surprise. Though I don't know what's going on with spin-off games or whatnot. Still, I'm not convinced by the list myself. It'd be a shame if there was a DMC5 and it simply ignored the wonderful Ninja Theory game, it deserves at least sequel. I know all those DMC hardcore fans get all upset about the most recent DMC but I thought it was one of the best beat-em-ups I've personally ever played, only compared to Bayonetta 2. Saying they'll be new Final Fantasy games is a sure bet really, I mean come on. :)

I'll admit I'm not won over by the list thought I'm happy to be surprised. All I want to know is WHERE IS BINARY DOMAIN 2?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

Ni No Kuni, sure, but that game came out as being a "throwback" and many game reviewers dinged it as such with stupid comments like "does this gameplay hold up" and "antiquated design". When I talk about JRPGs, I tend to be talking about the general trend in design, not specific games. I mean, you can clearly point to games like Bravely Default as being successful games with traditional design, but they were also billed as "throwback" games. Even Square said it was taken aback and surprised by the success of the Bravely series.

But what other recent JRPGs fall under that trend? Like I said, Final Fantasy is the only one that really comes to mind as a clear departure from the norm. Xenoblade was another notable JRPG last gen, but despite having real-time combat that was more MMO-like than anything else. Tales games are action-y, but they've always been that way, it's nothing new.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Neat if true. I remain skeptical.

Most Japanese devs/pubs are seeking huge ROI to justify their game development these days. This is an era where Tomb Raider is a flop with several million in sales, and people are claiming it's up to Final Fantasy XV to put up huge numbers to save the JRPG.

Mostly though, this sounds like more HD remakes and side-projects like Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy, and even then I would expect the Final Fantasy 6 remake to not even be in HD. (Which isn't even a Top 5 Final Fantasy in Japan, according to old Famtisu polls.)

@zeik said:

@korwin: Dark Souls is definitely an RPG to me. Whether it's a "JRPG" or not is up for debate, but I would definitely classify it as an action-RPG.

If Deus Ex is considered an RPG, then I see no reason why Dark Souls wouldn't be, even if I think it has as much in common with classic Castlevania as with modern RPGs.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Given the state of JRPG dev houses and the state of the Japanese console market I definitely don't believe this, but extra especially when reading the source.

This is what I thought reading the header of this topic too. Whose going to develop all these games when game development in Japan has taken such a massive shift away from consoles and onto mobile? How are Sony going to convince them to stop making cheap, profitable mobile games and instead make an expensive, gamble on a JRPG?

I can see Sony publishing one or two, but that list looks like a kids christmas wish to Santa Clause.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to announce a Legend of Dragoon remake or sequel.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for "FF7 on PS4" multiplied by ten at Sony's press conference, then.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SomeJerk

Long ago the word was there were two JRPG projects, co-developed. One would be an FF7 scale serious project of the "two", but that was only if the first project was a success? What was the first project? Imagine if it was Bloodborne and it gave the green light for a mega-budget?

Over on the E3 subforum I predicted a megaton with potential for forums drama for Sony's conference this year and this may or may not be the thing. And if you want console turn-based combat JRPGs that won't put you on FBI watchlists your only alternative is GUST, even though their game coming August is action-based they may keep turn-based for the next Atelier.

Adding: Flash sale on Bloodborne over at the European PSN stores, coincidence? And add Persona 5 to the turn-based combat clean JRPG list, forgot about that one.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If true, that would be pretty rad. Here's to hoping.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I hope this is true, Square have just discovered with the release of Bravely default that there is a forgotten audiance still desperate for more jrpgs, i'll take any number of those over most of the western developed stuff. Dont get me wrong, for a while the west had some good stuff going but its fallen into stagnation thanks to the obssession with yearly sequels and everyone trying to go after either COD or Batman/AC.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Two games hardly indicated a 'greater' focus or even a greater desire. I think, as always, console sized games coming out of Japan will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. The heyday of JRPGs was at a time when console sized games were coming out in droves...that trickle down was to be expected.

If some Japanese developers catch onto some Dragon's Dogma styles games I would be very interested. If they attempt something like Mass Effect they have my interest. Some of the tactics RPG are always welcome, or things that are like Persona. However, anyone taking it cues from Square-Enix and the next FF game are of less interest to me.

babblerock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By babblerock

@seauton said:

@aegon: FF6 remake. What are we talking here...an up-res, a remake? The potential for this has me going off the walls.

You may want to center those expectations. The last remake FF6 got for mobile couldnt have missed the point more.

No Caption Provided

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Parasite Eve? You have my attention.

jerrywhitman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly will have to wait to see this with my two eyeballs until I know 100%! haha

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll believe it when I see it. JRPG's have become so niche the last two generations. I bought the Vita thinking it would be a great, little JRPG machine. What a fucking bust that was.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No JRPGs this gen and no Racing games. its like my perfect nightmare.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

From what I know of Verendus (the guy who made these predictions), he's usually a good source on this stuff, but grain of salt and all that.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@amyggen: Yeah, I wouldn't have posted this if he was completely untrustworthy.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By planetfunksquad

@zeiksaid:

CC2 has been talking about doing a current gen .hack for quite awhile

I think I would actually cry if they did.

FUCK I want a new .hack

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

That Sony may be placing a heavier focus on an antiquated style of game design does not warrant excitement in my opinion. JRPGs are fine, but I'm pretty okay with the rate we're currently getting them.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think this would be a smart move on Sony's part. Lean into what you're already kinda of known for. People who have gone out of their way for a Sony console have primarily done so for Japanese titles. Microsoft should be doing the same thing with Western shooty games.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Sony may be placing a heavier focus on an antiquated style of game design does not warrant excitement in my opinion. JRPGs are fine, but I'm pretty okay with the rate we're currently getting them.

"Antiquated" styles of game design is all the rage now, didn't you know? People are doing retro throwbacks left and right. Lets get some JRPGs in there so people like me actually have something to give a shit about.

Of course, the idea that you can't make a JRPG without it being "antiquated" is total bullshit anyway.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By Aegon

@zeik said:
    @jjweatherman said:

"Antiquated" styles of game design is all the rage now, didn't you know? People are doing retro throwbacks left and right. Lets get some JRPGs in there so people like me actually have something to give a shit about.

Of course, the idea that you can't make a JRPG without it being "antiquated" is total bullshit anyway.

I agree. Plenty of room for innovation. I mean, look at Xenoblade X.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.