Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is now a good time to buy a PS4?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Hey friends,

I've been eyeing up a PS4 for some time now, and between hearing all the things about Destiny on the podcast, The Witcher 3 EVERYWHERE, and with Fallout 4 up and coming, I'm starting to think now might be a good time to pick up a PS4. From what I can gather, I'm looking at around £300 here in the UK for one with Destiny, then I'll naturally pick up games like The Witcher 3 separately.

So what do you guys think? Is now a good time to get into a PS4? Is the lineup of cool looking stuff good enough? Are there enough good games out there at the moment to keep me going?

No Caption Provided

Cheers!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The price just went down and there will be some great holiday bundles so yah, I think it's a great time financially to get one.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jesus_Phish

The best deal I've seen that's still available if you're interested in the titles is this one at GAME. Base price for a 500GB model with Driveclub, Nathan Drake Collection, AC Syndicate and Watchdogs.

If you don't have a PC and don't want to build one or have the room for one then it's a good time to buy a PS4 (or xbox one). There's more games coming out now than any other period of the generation and even looking at early next year it's not slowing down any time soon. There's plenty of games already out that are worth playing and plenty more on the way.

The one thing I'll say about the PS4 though on the games front is that there's not really anything there that's first party that's totally amazing. Until Dawn is probably the best exclusive game it has and while that's a great game, they barely even acknowledge it's a thing for some reason. Uncharted 4 is coming which might be cool if you're into those games and that Horizon Zero Dawn game looks fucking rad.

Additionally if you're not interested in the bundle I linked because you don't like those games, I'd recommend trying to get a 1TB model or buying a 1TB drive to put in your PS4. 500GB fills up fast when game install sizes are hitting over 50gb each. Between the OS, apps like Netflix, Spotify, Crunchyroll, installing PS+ games and retail games you'll find yourself managing your HDD space sooner than you'd think. The only reason I haven't swapped to a 1TB yet it because my current HDD has PT on it and I don't want to lose that because it's like a relic. I might swap it out and just keep it in a vault.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Do you already have a decent PC or an Xbox One? If so, I'd probably say nah, but that's mainly because I don't personally find the current lineup of exclusives to be very exciting. (Obviously that may be different for you. 2016 looks pretty good for the system though)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you already have a decent PC or an Xbox One? If so, I'd probably say nah, but that's mainly because I don't personally find the current lineup of exclusives to be very exciting. (Obviously that may be different for you. 2016 looks pretty good for the system though)

My PC is so old it can't even run Dota without crashing. I still have a dual core processor with 2GB Ram

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallen189: If it's your first "next gen console" and you like the exclusive lineup then I'd say go for it man. You even get a choice of different colors, like you can get the black Vader edition with Battlefront or the red Phantom Pain special edition. I have the white PS4 that came with Destiny and as cool as it looks by itself, it actually kind of sticks out like a sore thumb at home when it's surrounded by all my other black electronics.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@fallen189: If it's your first "next gen console" and you like the exclusive lineup then I'd say go for it man. You even get a choice of different colors, like you can get the black Vader edition with Battlefront or the red Phantom Pain special edition. I have the white PS4 that came with Destiny and as cool as it looks by itself, it actually kind of sticks out like a sore thumb at home when it's surrounded by all my other black electronics.

Yeah pretty much this. I can't be bothered building another PC, it's too stressful, and it gets pretty expensive in the long run. For what I want it for (1080p60), you're looking at about 6-700 quid, which is pretty obscene. Plus there's not a lot of PC exclusive titles that I'm fancying the look of that aren't coming to consoles aswell. From what I gather, the PS4 looks as good as the PC (with some obvious, super expensive exceptions), so I don't mind dipping back into the console market for the forseeable future.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallen189: I don't want to be a Debbie downer but the PS4 doesn't really look as good as the PC. It still looks really good and I've had no complaints with most of the next gen games I've played, but there is no fooling yourself here thinking it's "about on par" with PC graphics cause it just isn't. That said, you are trading in the relative easy of simply putting in a disc and playing, for the potential headaches of PC gaming. Just recently I made a thread about Darksiders 2 on PC, a pretty old game, that I was having weird issues with. I have a pretty good PC that runs most modern games on high settings so this was a surprise for me since Darksiders 2 isn't even that great looking to begin with. Typically whenever you mention a PC problem online you are instantly met with a chorus of "works fine for me!" and thats all the help you get. Everyone in that thread was adamant that the game was a great port and it's just me. Later I googled and turns out there were multiple articles from various sites saying that it was in fact a poor port and listing several fixes on how to resolve some of the issues I was having - but thats the thing, you gotta dig around and find this stuff out for yourself cause no one can help you with a problem that is uniquely tied to your specific hardware/software setup. Quite frankly, I've gotten too lazy for that sort of stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@turtlebird95 said:

My PC is so old it can't even run Dota without crashing. I still have a dual core processor with 2GB Ram

Ah, yeah you won't be running Fallout 4 on that, lol. I think the PS4 is certainly more tempting in that case, since it will definitely cost you a lot less, and you don't have to build it. As long as you aren't too hung up on resolutions and framerates, it might be a solid choice.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

If you don't already have an Xbox One for multiplatform titles, I say yes. I'd recommend checking what exclusives you might be interested in either system, as well as testing the systems out at a kiosk in a retailer. Trust me on the latter, I personally dislike the Xbox One controller, so knew I wouldn't make it my main console for multiplatform titles.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked one up in the end. I got the Destiny PS4 that comes with TKK, then also bought The Last of us Remastered, and The Witcher 3.

Pretty excited to get into being a PS4 owner. I'm happy that I'm now prepared for FF15, Persona 5, Fallout 4, and all the rest of the other stuff that's coming out. Hype!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Humanity

Hey man, enjoy, new electronics are the best - that fresh plastic smell.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Maybe I'll be able to play Destiny tomorrow. I forgot how bad PSN was speedwise. 200KBPS down. Woof

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.