Jack Tretton on IGN's up at noon show

#1 Edited by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

just a fyi for folks interested, as apparently IGN was able to get jack tretton on the show. and they hit him with a bunch of questions and ask

him what he thinks of E3, the state of the vita, and a few other tibits of admitting when they were wrong and how it feels good to get back support from fans, and how it is painful when you lose their trust.. (the jack tretton segment starts at 7:00 in the video)

the video kind of humanizes the guy some more.

#2 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

This show is awful but it was cool to see Tretton re-confirm a few facts and say that PS Plus was going to stay $50 for the foreseeable future.

I am super excited about the PS4 to Vita streaming being baked into the hardware on the PS4. Sitting in the back yard grilling, playing Watch Dogs on my Vita = All kinds of win.

#3 Edited by insane_shadowblade85 (1388 posts) -

So, is this show a poor man's version The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report?

#4 Edited by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

So, is this show a poor man's version The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report.

yep, really only linked to it cause tretton was on.

kind of annoys me seeing ign pimping they got first access to the ps4 when giantbomb beat them to it.

#5 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

This show is awful but it was cool to see Tretton re-confirm a few facts and say that PS Plus was going to stay $50 for the foreseeable future.

I am super excited about the PS4 to Vita streaming being baked into the hardware on the PS4. Sitting in the back yard grilling, playing Watch Dogs on my Vita = All kinds of win.

may i point you to this thread i made,

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/playstation-vita-6727/so-hackers-have-actually-made-ps3-remote-play-very-1443080/

very optimistic about how it will run on ps4 after seeing how useable it can be on ps3's now.

#6 Posted by TheHT (10878 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

So, is this show a poor man's version The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report.

yep, really only linked to it cause tretton was on.

kind of annoys me seeing ign pimping they got first access to the ps4 when giantbomb beat them to it.

Those fuckers!!

Tretton seems like a cool guy.

#7 Edited by Humanity (8808 posts) -

Jack Tretton continues to be a suit but a really cool and relatable suit nonetheless.

#8 Posted by Cameron (595 posts) -

It was embarrassing how much they were trying to hype up that guest appearance on Twitter. You'd think they had gotten Will Smith on there or something. Tretton is just an executive, and not even a particularly important one.

#9 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

@cameron: especially after e3 and the big support sony has now, and considering the show is a videogames focused show, id say he's a big enough guest for that crowd,

also the dude is the head of the US branch of sony, he's an important suit.

besides what would will smith talk about that relevant to the ign crowd?

#10 Posted by RonGalaxy (2871 posts) -

@mrfluke: coffee and some tech shit? Oh, you mean the OTHER will smith

#11 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

@naru_joe93: im guessing thats what the other guy was referring to :P

#12 Edited by RazielCuts (2926 posts) -

Some of the whooping and hollering was a bit much. Some parts are serious interview, talking candidly about the vita for example, which was good.

#13 Posted by Lord_Xp (602 posts) -

I wish he slipped up on the release date :/

#14 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

Some of the whooping and hollering was a bit much. Some parts are serious interview, talking candidly about the vita for example, which was good.

greg's is the head of the Playstation department at IGN so doesnt surprise me his crowd was cheering.

not to mention all of them got voucher codes and a free year of playstation plus. :P

#15 Edited by CornBREDX (4796 posts) -

I actually like this show, but I never get the chance to watch it. Didn't know they had Jack Tretton on. That's pretty cool.

It was a good interview too. Jack Tretton is a cool guy. Even though we usually only ever get to hear him speak at conferences about businessy things; to me he always comes off as pretty laid back.

I am blown away how much Sony is trying to appeal to the "core". Sorry, I don't how else to describe us, but those of us that play a lot of video games and go on websites to watch stuff about video games.

His philosophy on that was really cool to hear (whether true or just saying what I want to hear): saying that they know you cant get everybody at once so if they attract the core the rest will follow.

Sony, you are impressing me a lot right now. Keep it up.

#16 Posted by MiniPato (2720 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@razielcuts said:

greg's is the head of the Playstation department at IGN so doesnt surprise me his crowd was cheering.

not to mention all of them got voucher codes and a free year of playstation plus. :P

Wait, there's a live studio audience? Uhh...I don't know if that makes me want to watch it less or more.

#17 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

@mrfluke: That. Is. Awesome.

Super stoked for my PS4 now.

#18 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Greg miller is is amazing. Beyond!!!

#19 Posted by mrfluke (5090 posts) -

@minipato said:

@mrfluke said:

@razielcuts said:

Wait, there's a live studio audience? Uhh...I don't know if that makes me want to watch it less or more.

eh its not as bad as you'd think, just a couple pieces of cheering, actually a really solid interview.

#20 Posted by RedGoat00 (2 posts) -

I hate IGN Boards they only talk about specs

#21 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Greg actually talks like that during "interviews"? Gross...

Edit: I did laugh at when he asked Yoshida's question. Good on him for that.

#22 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2917 posts) -

I kinda like Up at Noon. It's not always funny, but I've always been a Greg Miller fan. It's hard for me to hate on his enthusiasm and love for games. Beyond!

#23 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

I loathe that shitty Attack of the Show-esque hollering. Good questions, though.

#24 Posted by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

I kinda like Up at Noon. It's not always funny, but I've always been a Greg Miller fan. It's hard for me to hate on his enthusiasm and love for games. Beyond!

Meh, I think he comes across as loud and obnoxious.. one of the many reasons for me not to go to IGN. Jeff is calm and clearly loves video games, I don't need a guy yelling at me and badly trying to be funny. Also, if he loved games that much it seems like he'd be less of a Sony fanboy. At least he's not a boring robot like what's-his-name from Gametrailers. Guys clapping/laughing like this is The Soup isn't helping things either IMO.

#25 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2917 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

Meh, I think he comes across as loud and obnoxious.. one of the many reasons for me not to go to IGN. Jeff is calm and clearly loves video games, I don't need a guy yelling at me and badly trying to be funny. Also, if he loved games that much it seems like he'd be less of a Sony fanboy. At least he's not a boring robot like what's-his-name from Gametrailers. Guys clapping/laughing like this is The Soup isn't helping things either IMO.

Strong feelings duder! Guess I disagree. Justin McElroy is loud too but when you like someone that's irrelevant I guess. Also.. Jeff... calm??? !? !!!!?????? No way! Since when? I consider Miller, Gerstmann and McElroy probably the three loudest mouths in gaming, as far as the podcasts I listen to. Greg gives Sony just as much shit as anyone so I forgive the fact that he's a huge fanboy. As long as you slam the console you love, you're ok in my books (see Arthur Geis and MS for the reverse situation).

Greg aside it was good to hear it confirmed that PS+ isn't going up in price, at least not soon.

#26 Edited by Deathstriker (307 posts) -

Jeff and McElroy hardly yell... it seems like Miller went to the "Jerry Stiller School of Comedy"; loud isn't funny to me. I can't stand the IGN video game podcasts, especially Beyond since they usually just waste the first five minutes saying how they're number one on iTunes and have an elitist/braggart vibe. Not to mention, the quality of their work is juvenile. Polygon treats gaming like a real subject while IGN focuses on teenage flamebait versus articles.

I do like IGN's TV and movie podcasts and departments though. However, their video game podcasts are average at best... they're only so popular because IGN is the #2 gaming website; Beyond and Unlocked are pretty sub-par. I never liked Gamespy all that much but I'll still say they had a really good podcast at one point (now The Comedy Button), so I can seperate the quality of a site to that of its podcasts.

#27 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

Playstation execs killing it. So entertaining.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.