Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Jaysus, the fan on my PS4 is hitting the roof!

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

So my launch PS4 is getting so loud that I need to use the headset a lot of the time.

It doesn't take long to spin up to what I imagine is the top setting and then just stays at that level. No one thing really kicks it off, Netflix or any game will get it going.

Anyone else have this issue, or managed to resolve it?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Haven't had that issue yet and I've a launch one too. Have you checked to see that the vents are clear of dust? I've certainly heard the thing make noise, usually when I'm just starting to play a game from the disc but after a few minutes that stops and it goes to being fairly quiet.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By monkeyking1969
    No Caption Provided

Sounds like dust. Could be just a bad fan. Thankfully, if your PS4 is out of warranty the fan is easy to get to but will take a bit of time to clean.

Ifixit.com PS4 Fan (Only go to step 5...you don't have to remove it...just see it!)

IFixit.com is a good website that describes how to take a PS4 apart, and the PS4 is very easy to take apart. You only need to remove the a few screws to get close to the fan. Once you see the fan there is a decent bit of covering and cowling, but you can use canned air, a vacuum...maybe a few Q-Tips to clean the fan. OR....if it is clean you might be able to adjust the fan to make it knock less if it is just not seated well.

Step 1) Once you see the fan use some compressed air to knock out heavy stuff, come back with a vacuum to pull the bits out,

Step 2-4) repeat above until the compressed air doesn't get anything else

Step 5) Then CAREFULLY use a Q-Tip to clean each vein of the turbine-like fan, using the vacuum to clean the knocked off bit of junk out.

Step 6) Finally give it one last spray of compressed air, then close it up.

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 - Thanks for the info, might throw my eye on ifixit so. I've paid much better attention to keeping it clean than I did my ps3, just annoying to hear it ramp up so quickly.

Thuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have that issue with my ps4 when the air behind it have no where to go(Like say in my tv bench). I have mine just next to the TV on the bench instead and it's not as loud anymore.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious if you're running games on disc or digital? I think i remember seeing some reddit posts mentioning the same thing awhile ago and most of them were running off disc (or even just having a disc in the tray). I don't know why that would matter though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@whur: I guess that makes sense? Using a disc costs more energy than not using one, so logically more energy more heat?

Anyways I have a launch system with no issues but I am a habitual duster!

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whur: I guess that makes sense? Using a disc costs more energy than not using one, so logically more energy more heat?

Anyways I have a launch system with no issues but I am a habitual duster!

But the disc only spins when you start up a game. All the data is read off the hard drive during actual gameplay.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 from January of 2014 rivals my old 20gb 360 in terms of fan noise. It's very clean too, I took it apart after the warranty was up and there wasn't any dust in it. That thing just runs hot I guess and my room temp is only 63ºF

Maybe I'll upgrade the thermal paste or something. It's so annoying loud that I've stopped playing games on it.

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whur: All digital on my end, when I run a bluray movie or something it definitely doesn't help matters but not a significant increase. I've seen some comments on Reddit about it and most fall on the side of fan cleaning.

@thuki: I have it in a nice open space in my entertainment unit, has a hole section to itself that's open on front and back with about 6 inches of space on each side.

@cbyrne: Yeah, I've seen the thermal paste upgrade mentioned in a few places. It's not something I've done before but might look into it if opening up and cleaning the fan doesn't help.

inquisitorhayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone know if it is okay to just use some compressed air on the back vents without taking the whole thing apart?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This happens when I run Infamous also so I don't think anything of it

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969
    @inquisitorhayt said:

Does anyone know if it is okay to just use some compressed air on the back vents without taking the whole thing apart?

Not sure there is much room for the dust to move since its a 'blower' style fan...and - hell - I'm not even sure blowing "in the vent" would even reach the blower to dislodge anything. If you take a look at the tear downs, the blower fan is cowled and covered unless you pull off the case cover. You could try it, but I'd be prepared to open it up if that doesn't work.

BEFORE YOU TRY: If you do try to open up the PS4, know you will need a TR9 Torx Security Screwdriver, as well as typically Phillips #0 Screwdriver and Phillips #1 Screwdriver.

You can buy sets of heads, but most of them suck. This is what I recommend - Titan 12710 Tamper Proof Star Key Set. Most of the time you only need hex heads to get into a case, so having a solid one unit Star Key Set like above and then just a nice set of normal screw drivers with a set if jeweler's screwdrivers is best.

ikomrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did you ever fix the fan issue? if so, what did you do that fixed it? I'm having the same problem while playing Andromeda.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikomrad: I bought a ps4pro and stopped using my launch ps4. Its probably the most expensive+lazy fix possible but it works xD

Honestly though, I wish you good luck mate, I dont think theres anything you could do except for taking the whole thing apart and replacing the coolingpaste wherever/if its dried out or too thick or thin, which is apparently often the biggest offender when it comes to ps4s getting too hot.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan: yup. I did the same. :)

Although a few games DO get my pro fan kicking in (it's still nowhere near the levels of my OG PS4)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.