Just got my PS4, couple of game related questions

#1 Posted by MHBroly (15 posts) -

Got my PS4 this week, so far I love it, the only issue is, obviously, the lack of titles at this point. It's something I'm used to when buying systems so close to launch so I'm not complaining, but I was wondering if people had some tips on what my next game should be.

So far I have NBA 2k14, Killzone, and I have downloaded Resogun, Warframe, and DCUO (doubt I'll play a lot of the last one, as this will be the third attempt on a third platform to try and like it). I really want to play BF4, tired of the COD Franchise and want to finally get into BF, but have the online issues been fixed? If not, is it still worth getting? I used to love the Assassin's Creed Franchise but I couldn't get myself to finish Revelations and AC3 I felt was just awful (Especially the ending), but I've heard IV is pretty great. Thoughts?

#2 Edited by csl316 (8191 posts) -

I've had minimal issues with BF4, but I've been in that situation since November. I'd buy with confidence but my experience has been better than most. The multiplayer is fantastic. I usually buy shooters for campaigns, and although I'm interested in this one I couldn't get away from the mp.

And I hadn't played AC since the first. So Black Flag made a heck of an impression because it's such a huge leap from the original. If you've been up on the series, your impressions may be different.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10571 posts) -

I really like AC IV, but unless you want a lot of sailing on the sea and tailing dudes in town, I don't know that you'll like IV. It does look very good on PS4, though. Especially the water.

If you have PlayStation Plus, I think Outlast is still free for the rest of the month, and that's worth a checking out. I wish I had more suggestions, but then again, I wish I had more PS4 games to play. Uh, Need for Speed Rivals is fun, if you like racing. Hm... That Strider demo seemed pretty all right, but then again, I didn't actually buy it.

#4 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

Battlefield still has some problems here and there like rubberbanding and crashing for some people. I haven't had the game crash on me since I started playing but there's a lot of rubberbanding which gets really fucking annoying. I have to point out that I got my PS4 almost a month ago and hadn't started playing BF4 until like 2 weeks ago.

As for AC4, I have heard good things also so if you want, go for it. People say it's a lot better then AC3.

Play Outlast if you haven't already. Also, go pre-order Infamous.

#5 Edited by Nodima (1124 posts) -

Would just like to piggy back on this thread to ask if getting Freedom Cry might be a good call for someone who's intrigued by Liberation and Black Flag but really, really burned out hard halfway through ACI and II.

#6 Edited by Quipido (618 posts) -

I have my PS4 for a little over a week and I mainly play Battlefield on it, it only crashed in singleplayer for me. Multiplayer has been great, no problems in 30+ hours. So I would go with that.

#7 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2595 posts) -

AC IV: Black Flag for sure! As for Battlefield or CoD, well take your choice. I think BF is still slightly broken on everything, CoD works fine...but as you said you're bored with it.

So I'd buy AC: Black Flag and then see what you like next. In March there is Infamous Second Son and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes which should be solid choices. Then things slow again until mid-summer when Watch_Dogs and The Crew show up. There are some indie games showing up in the next few months too, and at some point SCEA will get off its ass and allow us access to War Thunder (online flight combat game by Gaijin).

The sad fact is there are some dates for games still to be nailed down, there might be another big game between Watch_Dogs in July and Destiny in September, but we probably won't know until e3. My guess is Sony might release an "up resolution" port of some popular PS3 game for PS4 just to fill in the schedule.

#8 Posted by kaos_cracker (571 posts) -

Everything is going to start coming out now so that should be good.

#9 Posted by BigSocrates (291 posts) -

Battlefield seems mostly fixed. I had real problems the first few months but these days it's mostly things like my gun taking 3-4 seconds to spawn in after I spawn into a new match. Do I wish they'd fix that stuff? Of course. Is it gamebreaking? No.

Oh, today I was playing and totally lost audio synch for a round. That was frustrating, because audio cues are important in that game, but I could still play.

#10 Posted by Khronikos (67 posts) -

Umm you need some Zen Pinball and Flower me thinks. Pretty great for what they are.

#11 Posted by MHBroly (15 posts) -

Thanks for all the responses, really helped. I did indeed go through with getting BF4, very fun game and yeah haven't had any serious issues with it yet. I really love the dualshock 4, think it might be my favorite controller yet. Got it working with Steam so I can play certain games on the PC with it (Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Ducktales Remastered, etc..)

I've heard a lot of good things about Zen Pinball so I'll definitely try that out, and...I think I'll finally make the leap and try ACIV, but I also think that I do need just a little more time to recover (III nearly killed my drive for that series but I still love the concept).

#12 Posted by csl316 (8191 posts) -

@mhbroly: Cool, and good timing. PS4 games are finally gonna stop dropping regularly soon.

#13 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3578 posts) -

@mhbroly said:

Thanks for all the responses, really helped. I did indeed go through with getting BF4, very fun game and yeah haven't had any serious issues with it yet. I really love the dualshock 4, think it might be my favorite controller yet. Got it working with Steam so I can play certain games on the PC with it (Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Ducktales Remastered, etc..)

I've heard a lot of good things about Zen Pinball so I'll definitely try that out, and...I think I'll finally make the leap and try ACIV, but I also think that I do need just a little more time to recover (III nearly killed my drive for that series but I still love the concept).

Might as well wait a while for ACIV. That game should get cheap quickly. While it is good, it's still a lot of the old AC formula.

As far as Zen Pinball goes, be sure to try The Pinball Arcade as well. IMO, it crushes Zen Pinball in every way except menus and general user interface. Both games have a single free table to try, so check them both out. And when you try Pinball Arcade, make sure you go into the menu and dim the room lighting. It looks much better that way.

If you like tournament fighters, Injustice: Gods Among Us is now on sale for around $25 or so for the digital PS4 version. Not sure how many people are playing it, but if you and a friend get it, or pick it up for local two player vs, that could be fun.

The PS4 version of Dead Nation should be out in a few days, so you also have that to look forward to. Other digital titles I'm looking forward to include Trials Fusion, and Mercenary Kings, which should both be out sometime before little over a month from now.

Beyond that, Infamous is out soon. So there's actually quite a bit I'm looking forward to.

#14 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

ACIV is more of the same crap, overly simplistic combat, poor AI and the standard AC quests, so if any of that turned you off it probably won't do much for you. Naval combat doesn't address these core problems the series has been plagued with for quite some years now.

I'm looking forward to trying out Knack, we can expect that to show up on PS+ soon I'm sure, I think Killzone will show up on PS+ in the near future too, so you might wanna think about trading that in if you don't get a good first impression from it, you'll definitely get it free sometime this year.

BF4 works great, it has worked well since November with a few crashes here and there, the worst problem was a sound bug but that is totally gone now. Crashes are much less frequent (it's not rock solid, but it nearly is) and I haven't had any other issues.

#15 Edited by ttocs (762 posts) -

I completely disagree with Sooty above me. Sounds like he just isn't a fan of Assassin's Creed. Get AC4 right now. I wasn't big on AC3 but this just reignites the series in the best possible way.

Battlefield 4 online has it's issues but it's getting better. I'm a casual when it comes to online FPS games though so I don't play it nearly as much as some people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.