MW: Ghosts - Xbox Exclusive - Dealbreaker?

#1 Edited by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

Would it be a dealbreaker and actually damage Sony if Microsoft announces dealing the exclusive card for Modern Warfare with Activision? Beats having to upgrade the Xbox to 8GB GDDR5, but how much would that hurt Sony? EDIT: Activation.

#2 Edited by believer258 (11564 posts) -

It would hurt but I don't think it would run out of business.

Besides, Activision likes putting their games on anything they can. I would be surprised if the next CoD wasn't on the PS4.

#3 Posted by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

They would probably still get their exclusive timed DLC but not really probable. They can sell millions more if they put it on PS4

#4 Edited by Quarters (1624 posts) -

I don't think they would make the entire game exclusive. DLC, sure, but not the full game. For games like that, that are not made by a first party or anything, it just makes way more sense to be multiplatform.

#5 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I think it'd hurt Activision and thus they won't do it.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

Don't see this happening.

#7 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Activision release their annual Call of Duty rehash on my mother's dishwasher, so I doubt the scenario.

#8 Edited by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

Wouldn't it be cheaper to broker an exclusivity deal with Activision rather than add GDDR5 8GB to the console with a lead time of like 8 months?

Offer them something insane like $300 000 000 for it.

#9 Edited by theveej (811 posts) -

well its an economic question. If Msoft is willing to pay up, then yes. But I can't even imagine Msoft will be willing to pay that much money for an exclusive (the number will probably be close to 2-3 million sales of new COD on PS4). Xbox will be better off improving xbox live functionality to make sure that the next xbox is still the best way to play next gen COD games online than buying exclusive rights to the game as a whole. Over the long run that is the much cheaper option.

#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

No, I don't see this happening. Its not like they could do this every year, so why bother? And then would this come out on PC? Xbox is probably gonna be dominant, but PC is where the tournaments happen.

#11 Posted by Live2bRighteous (313 posts) -

I hope the new generation of consoles actually force the CoD devs to use a new engine/new everything.

#12 Posted by blogpostnogood (270 posts) -

No, I don't see this happening. Its not like they could do this every year, so why bother? And then would this come out on PC? Xbox is probably gonna be dominant, but PC is where the tournaments happen.

What the fuck are you talking about? http://www.callofduty.com/xp/tournament

#14 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1831 posts) -

Would not give a shit.

#18 Edited by EXTomar (4453 posts) -

Why would this happen? I mean this is like asking "Would it be a 'deal breaker' if the next Angry Birds only appeared on Nexus X even though I have no conceivable reason why this would happen? Discuss!" I have no idea if it would hurt because there is no reason for it to happen.

#23 Edited by phantomzxro (1558 posts) -

I would not care too much and would not be a deal breaker but i also don't think it would happen because Activision is all about the money, they wont cut their profit to get an exclusive deal unless MS drop a heavy check for Activision which they would not do.

#24 Posted by bassman2112 (816 posts) -

I apologize for bringing up a relatively dead thread with an off-topic comment; but man, this thing is a comment graveyard - what ended up happening up there?

As for my opinion on this matter, it would not affect me either way since I haven't played a COD game since COD4. I've enjoyed watching people's reactions from the sidelines; but what happens with that franchise next doesn't matter to me in the least.

#25 Edited by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

Microsoft would probably have to throw a good deal more money than they would ever be willing to to secure that exclusive. Microsoft's spin on the Call of Duty franchise has been very effective. Everyone believes Xbox is the preferred platform for CoD and that is not true in the slightest. If you look at the player numbers for both versions Black Ops 2 the PS3 routinely has double the amount of active players, even during peak it tends to have a wide berth over the 360 version. Weekends and XP events they are even.

The PS3 version may not have sold more but the PS3 fanbase has been more loyal. Activision while still locked into DLC contracts with Microsoft have their hands tied but they almost definitely see CoD's burgeoning popularity with the Sony crowd as an important part of their business. Despite what the advertising and timed exclusive DLC would have you believe.

#26 Edited by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

Its going to happen.

#27 Posted by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

There is absolutely no reason why COD Ghost should be at the may 21st thing. It could be shown at E3 or during the NBA finals.

#28 Posted by IcedWhale (49 posts) -

Don't know why but totally thought you were say mechwarrior ghosts was being made ... Now I'm sad

#29 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Well, people don't really wanna see gameplay during the Finals. They wanna see movie trailers. Like that crappy short-film that was some minutes long, that was about Ghosts, but felt like a movie trailer. They wanna be entertained.

#30 Posted by MegaMagick (40 posts) -

Call of Duty will never, EVER be exclusive to a single platform; It's too big of a franchise and too crucial to Activision's plans.

Microsoft will probably secure timed exclusive DLC map packs, along with the increased exposure on microsoft platforms similar to this gen.

#31 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2181 posts) -

Call of Duty will never, EVER be exclusive to a single platform; It's too big of a franchise and too crucial to Activision's plans.

Microsoft will probably secure timed exclusive DLC map packs, along with the increased exposure on microsoft platforms similar to this gen.

Exactly what I was just about to say. DLC will definitely still be timed exclusive but the game itself? No fucking way will Activision ignore an entire platform. I'd expect them to ignore the PC first than the PS4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.