Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

My PS4 is so loud. Advice?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9bf8423af62
    deactivated-5b9bf8423af62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys,

Quick question as per usual...

My PS4 is so loud. Much noticeably louder than my PS3. It's more than just a hum now. But if I call Sony... I'm sure they'll just laugh at me. But I don't know what to do. Any advice? How much ventilation should I provide it? Also, does anyone else have this issue? Maybe after a few hours?

Cheers.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sinusoidal

Stuff the vents with cotton balls and wrap the whole thing in a blanket. That'll stop the noise. Briefly. Then comes your wailing as you realize that you've toasted your brand-new $400 toy.

MUHUHUAHAHAAAAA!!!!

P.S. Don't do this.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperCycle

I'd suggest making sure it isn't kept in a tightly enclosed space, making sure it has plenty of room to breathe, and then turn up your t.v.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Gently rub its back and say "shhhh, there there Playstation 4, there there."

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't place it in vertical position because the air goes through the sides (or top and bottom if its vertical).

Also don't play Killzone because it seems to do some voodoo magic that makes the PS4 sound like a jet engine.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Louder than your 3? Wow, my PS3 sounded like it was taking off from an aircraft carrier. My PS4 is almost silent. I'd try calling and see if they have any suggestions or even exchange it for a new one.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By monetarydread

Make sure that your PS4 is not in an entertainment center. My roommate picked up a PS4 and it gets too hot in our entertainment center, that leads to the fans having to increase in speed which results in a major spike in decibels. I am not a fan of how hot the system gets.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any console that dissipates over 100W will require a lot of ventilation. And PS4 does so. You can't afford to put it in a closed cabinet at all. Either put it in a ventilated cabinet or put it on a shelf not in a cabinet. With either of these the fan speed shouldn't be high enough to hear.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really imagine not playing games with headphones, I've never heard my consoles... Or my PC for that matter. I should probably check for dust, it's been awhile.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Go get me Dennis Rodman, some gravy, and a dinosaur egg, and meet me in your living room.

We're gonna save your PS4.

Or, y'know, you could make sure it gets a lot of ventilation like everyone else said. Whatever.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Get ear plugs?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By soulcake

Give it room to breath and spray some WD40 on it. It works wonders on almost anything :D

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MegaLombax

I'd make sure that the console is in an open space. And maybe wipe your console from time to time to clear off the dust.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Don't place it in vertical position because the air goes through the sides (or top and bottom if its vertical).

Also don't play Killzone because it seems to do some voodoo magic that makes the PS4 sound like a jet engine.

Except the PS4 was clearly engineered and designed with vertical placement in mind.

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Thuggish

@joeasis:

Do you have it enclosed in a small space that isn't well ventilated? (aka: is it getting to hot and having to run it's fans as hard as possible?) If so, that's your issue... simply providing it adequate room to breath, so to speak, would likely clear up the issue.

Otherwise, if your system isn't getting super hot and has plenty of room to breathe... perhaps you should contact Sony. My box has about 6 inches to the left and right, 2 inches above it, and open air in front and behind (the exhaust vents are on the rear) and it's a very quiet machine.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ehh piece of hohos, just use a blower sweeper to blow the hell outta the dust in ur console...wait did it even collected dust ? the console is just 1 month old !!

any way check ur console body from time to time and make sure it's not overheating, if u smell something weird show it to warranty asap

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't imagine it being louder than a PS3. I'm considering buying a new one just to get rid of the t rex living inside mine

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine was super loud at launch but now I barely notice it when it's running a game. I also put it back horizontally so that might have had something to do with it.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ive got a pretty much silent launch ps3, backwards compatible and all. I thought Brad was just crazy, so I assume this is not the norm?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DonPixel

It is to my understanding the PS4 runs hotter/louder, considering it is basically a scale down PC it doesn't surprise me. x86 its always been a "Hot" architecture.

My anecdotical experience for playing with both ps4 and the xbone, PS4 does seems louder kind of original 360 loud/hot.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I dunno dude mine runs super quiet most of the time... Like everyone already said if it has enough room to breath and isn't clogged with dust it should be ok.

I have cats so I have to dust pretty often as they shed a lot. Is it in an enclosed space? Maybe the sound is bouncing off the cabinet walls lol.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS4 is silent as hell. My advice is not to drop yours in the future.

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, mine is very silent as well. I would look at taking it back somehow it seems you are disappointed.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, mine is silent as well. When I first booted it up on launch day I was very impressed with how quiet it was compared to my launch day 360 or even the slim ps3 I have.

I think it's definitely worth a call to Sony as the system may just be headed towards a failure.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make sure that your PS4 is not in an entertainment center. My roommate picked up a PS4 and it gets too hot in our entertainment center, that leads to the fans having to increase in speed which results in a major spike in decibels. I am not a fan of how hot the system gets.

Yeah. Same here. I guess.. this could lead to some problems down the road. Mine only gets a little loud from time to time.. but holy crap does it get warm compared to the Xbone.

Well, maybe it´s built to withstand some amount of heat.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Mine gets loud when I start a game of battlefield or NBA 2k. But after about 30 seconds it stops. Other than that it's pretty damn quiet

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really imagine not playing games with headphones, I've never heard my consoles... Or my PC for that matter. I should probably check for dust, it's been awhile.

I bought a really nice pair of gaming headphones a while back. The quality on them is probably better than that of my speaker setup (which is getting outdated at this point). But, I almost never use them because they mat my hair down in a weird way (which I've come to call headset head). It's not just those headphones either. That old pack-in headset that came with the 360 did it. Any over head headphones seem to cause it. And it happens whether my hair is really long or really short. MY LIFE!

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slaegar
    @hatking said:

@toowalrus said:

I bought a really nice pair of gaming headphones a while back. The quality on them is probably better than that of my speaker setup (which is getting outdated at this point). But, I almost never use them because they mat my hair down in a weird way (which I've come to call headset head). It's not just those headphones either. That old pack-in headset that came with the 360 did it. Any over head headphones seem to cause it. And it happens whether my hair is really long or really short. MY LIFE!

No Caption Provided

I know your pain. I have these headphones (ATH AD700) and I really enjoy them. The problem is those little wings that sit on your head push under my hair and cause two flaps of hair to stick up on my head. I have fairly thick hair that does not like to go back in place once it has found a humorous resting point.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar: Yes! Exactly. Mine have a similar padding, but it goes across the entire top of my head. Thick hair doesn't do well with this sort of thing.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nekroskop

@slaegar: That was pretty much what I used every time I used my 2007 360. Even with the install it was loud as fuck.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno. Mine is pretty silent unless I'm running Killzone. Then there's a little fan noise but it's not unbearable.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even hear my playstation 4 and I only sit like six of seven feet away. It's literally one of the quietest machines I've ever owned. In fact the only time I ever hear it is if I pop in a disc in for the first time and it whirs into the drive. I dunno what to say. More ventilation?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By musubi

I can't even hear my playstation 4 and I only sit like six of seven feet away. It's literally one of the quietest machines I've ever owned. In fact the only time I ever hear it is if I pop in a disc in for the first time and it whirs into the drive. I dunno what to say. More ventilation?

Yeah, same here. Goddamn I'm impressed. Tonight was my first night with mine. Just turned it off after 5+ hours of running it including running Battlefield 4 for over and hour and the thing was damn near silent the entire time.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So yeah, I just got a ps4 and it makes a decent bit of noise and gets kind of hot, but my room is the hottest room in the house (besides upstairs) so hopefully the fan running into overdrive isn't necessarily a bad thing and the system is actually just doing it's job. I feel like I'm going to end up buying the ps4 extended warranty at some point anyway, so it's probably not that big of an issue. I got a really great deal on ebay (brand new from one of those mega ebay retailers) so I can't really complain that much about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.