Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

New to PS4: game recommendations?

J_Milez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey folks, I just got myself a PS4 over the weekend. My 'collection' consists of Destiny, Rocket League, and The Last of Us Remastered at this point. I've had an XB1 since early last year, so I've likely already looked at all the multiplatform games that came out. Help a duder out: what PS4 exclusives should I be looking at? Insofar as preferences go, the only things I really don't like are super-competitive games (coop is fine, 'silly' games like Rocket League don't bother me much either). I know I should probably look at Bloodborne; but what else would y'all recommend? Note that I've never owned a Playstation before now; so HD remakes are not discouraged.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

A cheap fun game is inFamous: Second Son - it's a great launch title in that they make use of all those PS4 features like motion control on the PS4 controller, or using the touch pad. In addition to that it looks really, really good, has a nice framerate and isn't overly long. You can probably pick it up in a bargain bin for like $10 at this point but it's really a solid title if you like that sort of stuff.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galak-Z

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Monty_vaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Soma and Until Dawn are stellar, but they are also not necessarily for everyone. Check out the quick looks and the GBE playdate and see if they interest you.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#6 riostarwind  Moderator

If you haven't played it on PC you should check out Axiom Verge. It is a fun metroidvania game that uses glitches in a unique way. Resogun was also a great side scrolling shooter that you might enjoy.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By bceagles128

For Sony console exclusives, in addition to the thou, I'd recommend Bloodborne, Until Dawn, and the uncharted collections, axiom verge, grow home, resogun, transistor, bastion, helldivers

Also mlb the show if you like baseball

J_Milez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go away for a brief meeting and get a TON of suggestions; y'all are great.

I do have a gaming PC but the poor thing did NOT take the update to windows 10 well. Everything from network driver failures to bluetooth becoming totally inoperable.. DS4Windows completely stopped working and Skyrim crashes on launch even after a full delete and re-download. I had Rocket League and Axiom Verge on PC, but I'd be willing to get 'em again while I try troubleshooting the nightmare that my PC has become (I don't want to downgrade if I can avoid it). Keep the suggestions coming! I totally forgot about the existence of InFamous but I had always wanted to try it, thanks for the reminder!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a note on Bloodborne, it's probably worth waiting at this point until they release the bundle of the original game and upcoming Old Hunters DLC. Should be late November.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Casepb

Check out the Tearaway Unfolded demo if you like platformer type games. Driveclub is very nice looking, and pretty good if you enjoyed Project Gotham Racing games on Xbox. Final Fantasy X HD remake if you like turn based JRPGs, also Dragon Quests Heroes is coming out next week. I'm also still curious about The Order 1886, but I'm waiting for that to be $20 before I buy it. Oh and if you like Infamous get First Light once you are done with Second Son.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

For the PS4 specifically, I'd say Resogun and Until Dawn.

For people new-ish to Playstation, Journey, Transistor. I've also really enjoyed Flower, but I'd say Journey has more appeal for the average person.

The Remasters were truly great on the PS3, but some of those haven't made it over to the PS4 yet. You are definitely in a good place with The Last of Us Remaster, since that is the best PS3 game (in my opinion at least) and an excellent remaster. The Uncharted series, particularly Uncharted 2 is great, and I also had a lot of fun with God of War III, but I think those are harder sells since those games aren't as old. It's an easier sell to have like God of War I and II for $40 right before God of War III came out, or something like the ICO Collection, since the upgrade was more noticeable and appreciative from an archival perspective, I guess.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killzone is pretty great at times.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodborne is a must play. I can tell you now you are going to hear its name coming up a lot around the end of the year during GOTY discussion. Until Dawn, Last of Us, Journey, Resogun, and the Street Fighter V beta are all great too.

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
    IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sniper Elite 3 and Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut are fucking awesome and underrated.

J_Milez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: That's a great point. Much appreciated.

@iburningstar: Yup, really enjoyed the Breaking Bradborne videos too. In retrospect I probably should've mentioned that BB was already on my radar. The number of recommendations here seals it for me tho.

This is a big, thorough list to get me started; probably enough to keep me occupied (since I'm not just dropping my Xbox, after all; I was a HUGE Forge nut in Halo Reach and the shit they're talking about for 5 is going to steal weeks of my life) until next year, and some to save for the summer. That reminds me; there was a LBP on PS4, right? Any thoughts as to how that would stand up to someone who's never played any of them yet?

Thanks everybody!!

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consider Tearaway Unfolded. Not sure how it plays without the camera but it was easily one of my favourite games when I played it on Vita. So joyful.

Of course, you could just get Final Fantasy XIV and then you won't need any other games? One to think about.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Frybird

I honestly think the PS4 has the best Version of Hotline Miami.

Metal Gear Solid V (Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain) are stunningly good sandbox stealth games.

Journey is always recommended

And i really enjoyed both Outlast and it's DLC that is really well done (i think i liked the story a bit better than the one in the original game)

Bloodborne, as you said, you should check out.

Wolfenstein: The New Order was a very pleaseant surprise for me as it offered not only nice feeling "late 90ies PC Shooter" gameplay, but a surprisingly good story and cast as well.

Driveclub is one of the too few racing games for the PS4, and one that has massively improved since it's less than stellar launch that is sadly the closest we'll get to a new Project Gotham Racing.

And implying that you passed on the PS3 with having Last of Us Remastered, there's also an Uncharted Collection now that offers plenty bang for the buck (unless you want to play Multiplayer) and a complete Edition of Sound Shapes you can check out.

And, being a free to play game, give Loadout a try. It's nothing overly special, but i had quite some fun with it, especially since it relatively quickly offers you the option to make really interesting unusual weapon combinations.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_milez: Not an exclusive, but Warframe took up a good deal of my time in the early days of my PS4 ownership, and it's only improved since then. Just don't spend any of your starter platinum on anything other than Warframe slots, and you can get quite a lot of gameplay out of the title.

paperlynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Journey definitely and yeah you should get bloodborne for sure. Until dawn is good if you have some spare cash, it's not the longest game but good nonetheless

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi,

I am not sure what the rule regarding bumping old topics is here. As this was an appropriate thread I found here. I want to check in and see if there are any other titles people are saying are "must have" for the PS4?

I am considering getting a PS4 sometime in the future and have ideas for games but want to see what fellow duders suggest as well as I may be missing some gems.

Cheers (also apologies if this should not have been bumped, I am not sure what the time constraints apply, if any).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.