Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Older HDTV issue.Using HDMI and optical cable at same time?

scottieleverne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By scottieleverne

Will I be able to simultaneously use the HDMI and Digital Optical output from the PS4 into my older TV with a HDMI/DVI converter and Digital Optical Output to RCA converter? Sounds crazy but kind of makes sense in theory...maybe.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Have you tested this configuration with a PS3 or 360? I don't see why it shouldn't work for the new consoles.

scottieleverne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By scottieleverne

Not yet. Planning on picking up a Digital Optical Output to RCA converter soon to try on the 360 before the PS4 launches. Just wanted to know ahead of time.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because HDMI is the only form of video output it supports, you can combine HDMI with TOSLINK outputs, convert and fool around with both.

scottieleverne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet. Hope it works. Getting the launch bundle w/ BF4. Excited. Now I just need a new TV.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Will I be able to simultaneously use the HDMI and Digital Optical output from the PS4 into my older TV with a HDMI/DVI converter and Digital Optical Output to RCA converter? Sounds crazy but kind of makes sense in theory...maybe.

Just a question: Why not update to a HDTV and/or receiver that takes PS4's native outputs? There are only about three reason not to update for technological/production reasons, otherwise just updating while costing more leads to a better outcome.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

It should work fine. This is what I do with my PS3 now. I have a new TV, but my receiver is ancient, so the only way to get 5.1 is an optical cable. I have it set to output video over HDMI to the TV and audio over the optical cable to the receiver.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.