Opinions on new PS4 Controller?

• 80 results
#51 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

I like the idea of the speaker, I just hope it doesn't use the terrible plastic diaphragm that's in the Wii Remote. Honestly, hearing the little "Thwip!" from shooting an arrow in The Legend of Zelda was an awesome idea, but the clarity of that speaker was bad.

#52 Posted by ttocs (763 posts) -

I actually like the new layout of the controller. As others have mentioned the share button is on the left hand side and up aways which isn't problematic and won't get in the way. It also looks a little bigger than previously created so that might take a little to get used to but people who have played with a 360 controller more than once will probably get used to it faster.

The idea of price does concern me but I doubt it will be too expensive. Hell, dual shocks right now cost 50 bucks or so and I imagine these will be that or maybe a little more.

#53 Posted by Hellstrom (199 posts) -

All Sony needed to do was work on the triggers & analogs, that they did & i'm satisfied. Don't need the PS4 controller trying to be 360 with the analog up top because the D-pad on 360 is god awful.

#54 Posted by liquiddragon (241 posts) -

The touch pad seems like a throw-away feature like the six-axis, It adds to cost of the controller and I just don't see meaningful use for it (logging into my account with my fingerprint might be cool?). Other than that, I liked the share button, assuming it's implemented well and it seems like they've "fixed" the R2/L2 buttons. I've always liked dualshock controllers so I'm fine with it.

#55 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

looks fine, I was a big fan of the dualshock design, even with my giant hands, so I am a little skeptical of the changes mainly that the controller is a bit bigger from my understanding. It appears they've fixed the triggers by making them concave which was my only real complaint with the DS3. I'll hold off actual judgement though until i get my grubby giant hands on it.

#56 Posted by SomeJerk (3266 posts) -

I'm happy they kept the dualshock design because the GameCube layout has always felt wrong to me. DS twinstick action lets me keep my hands and arms out normally, things aren't feng shui doing twinstick gaming on the GameCube layout.

#57 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Games - 79.99 (No 80.00) Dollars

Game Controllers - 149.99 Dollars

Console - 399.99 Dollars

You must be a rich person to play Next Gen Games. I hope there won't be Season Passes.

#58 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

It looks fine to me, but I won't know what to think of it until it's sitting in my hands. The touch controls could easily share the fate of Sixaxis motion support if they're not implemented well. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out.

#59 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Not enough shoulder-functionality. Don't get why the touchpad is topside and not on the shoulder or bottom. Don't see how taking my thumbs of the sticks to do something is ever additive, it's merely an alternative... a lesser alternative.

I really hoped we'd at least get 6 shoulderbuttons this time around (for a total of 8 ideal buttons for dualstick controls including the thumbstick buttons). Maybe even a mousewheel button. 6 ideal buttons are just not enough. Aim/ADS/Lock-on. Fire/Attack. Jump. Sprint. Crouch. Knife. Grenade. Interact. Weapon toggle. Perspective toggle. Rearview. Freelook. Any kind of mutator. And so forth. And so forth.

A gosh darn shame. If Microsoft, opposed to their general trend of going after casual gamers and simplifying controls via Kinect, truely ups the ante with their gamepad, especially when it comes to dualstick control functionality, it might yet win the day. At least it'd make my day.

#60 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3351 posts) -

@seppli said:

Not enough shoulder-functionality. Don't get why the touchpad is topside and not on the shoulder or bottom. Don't see how taking my thumbs of the sticks to do something is ever additive, it's merely an alternative... a lesser alternative.

I really hoped we'd at least get 6 shoulderbuttons this time around (for a total of 8 ideal buttons for dualstick controls including the thumbstick buttons). Maybe even a mousewheel button. 6 ideal buttons are just not enough. Aim/ADS/Lock-on. Fire/Attack. Jump. Sprint. Crouch. Knife. Grenade. Interact. Weapon toggle. Perspective toggle. Rearview. Freelook. Any kind of mutator. And so forth. And so forth.

A gosh darn shame. If Microsoft, opposed to their general trend of going after casual gamers and simplifying controls via Kinect, truely ups the ante with their gamepad, especially when it comes to dualstick control functionality, it might yet win the day. At least it'd make my day.

There's no reality any where on the horizon that leads to controllers with more buttons - no way! No, no, no, no way. Lol at 6 shoulderbuttons. That would be awesome. I'm just holding out for the controller with the stretchable fold-out keyboard in the center.

There are so many games where you have to take your thumbs off the sticks I don't understand your complaint in the first sentence. What's the difference between the touch pad and the face buttons on any controller? I mean, other than being in a probably harder-to-reach and more awkward spot it works the same way, right? Reading your post I imagined a controller that has only two sticks on the face-side and then two big triggers on the back - and all the face buttons too! Seems like a no-brainer to move the face buttons to the other side so we don't have to use our thumbs.

#61 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@geraltitude said:

@seppli said:

There's no reality any where on the horizon that leads to controllers with more buttons - no way! No, no, no, no way. Lol at 6 shoulderbuttons. That would be awesome. I'm just holding out for the controller with the stretchable fold-out keyboard in the center.

There are so many games where you have to take your thumbs off the sticks I don't understand your complaint in the first sentence. What's the difference between the touch pad and the face buttons on any controller? I mean, other than being in a probably harder-to-reach and more awkward spot it works the same way, right? Reading your post I imagined a controller that has only two sticks on the face-side and then two big triggers on the back - and all the face buttons too! Seems like a no-brainer to move the face buttons to the other side so we don't have to use our thumbs.

The placement of the touchpad on the upper side of the gamepad ensures that we'll either use the touchpad or the thumbsticks. Never both. It's an either/or situation. If it was placed on the shoulderside or underside of the gamepad, that would not be the case. So for dualstick games (which are pretty much all modern games), it doesn't improve my control and options therefor.

However, I need more buttons for optimal control in games with dualstick controls. Facebuttons, Back and Start, D-Pad - using them causes a momentary loss of control. The same will be the case with the PS4's touchpad. I'm not making a case for more complex controls, games are generally already too complex for the current gamepad layout, at least by the standard I put forth with the term *buttons optimal for dualstick games*.

With more *buttons optimal for dualstick games* more actions can be mapped to buttons that don't require me to take my thumbs of the thumbsticks, which results in uninterrupted -and hence better- control. I want a better gamepad. PS4's gamepad isn't really better suited for dualstick games, it's the same with some motion sensing and touch screen gimmicks. Some are okay with how things are, I however want a true improvement of control.

For an idea of how awesome the proposition of such a thing can be, check out the Razr Sabertooth with at least double the amount of *buttons optimal for dualstick games*, if I understand it correctly...

#62 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

P.S. I was quite surprised that Sony didn't go for a lower-fi smart phone like touchscreen interface below the thumbsticks, for a virtual keyboard and other functionalities. Amazed really. Baffled.

I bet Microsoft will have something along the lines of a smartphone interface being integral to their next gamepad. Keyword *Smart Glass*. Combining the Xbox-gamepad formfactor with a the interface functionalities of a smartphone.

Could be Microsoft's pitch to the core gaming audience. A real step up in the gamepad department.

#63 Posted by HorseFactory (98 posts) -

I think it looks fine. It's not like I'm going to spend much time examining all of it's contours & critiquing it once I own a PS4.
I've always liked Sony controllers. I do prefer the convex analog sticks, though.

#64 Edited by kaos_cracker (602 posts) -

Everything about it seems improved. Just curious about how you'll see a score board in the middle of a game or something since there is no more select button. But it seems better than the dualshock 3

#65 Edited by DoctorSage (159 posts) -

I'm more worried about the triggers than anything else, but it doesn't look bad. We'll have to see how it feels in practice, though.

#66 Edited by Storms (341 posts) -

@funkydupe: Are you kidding? That's the last thing both a company and a customer should want. I've been gaming with Dualshock for about 20 years. Thousands of hours. And never had a problem with it in all that time. It feels perfect in my hands. So why radically change that? Who does it help? All changes to the Dualshock should be incremental. For example, the touchpad. If it turns out the pad is in a bad place and the analog sticks get in the way, they can adjust the positioning slightly until it feels right. But change 15 things? Nobody at Sony would know how to fix any complaints. And we'd all be stuck with it for 8 years.

Small changes at a time are best for everyone.

#67 Posted by unwateredtruth (1 posts) -

You guys do realize that option is the exact same thing as start, why are you comparing the two like there is a difference in anything but the name. Its a great controller and doesn't get in the way of the main gamer focus. And if you don't use the swipe pad then great but don't bash it just because you don't utilize it. Some people have nothing better to do than to complain.

#68 Posted by Frobitz (195 posts) -

@unwateredtruth: Yeah, if anything it's long overdue changing the name from Start. Option is much more descriptive of what that button has done in games for years now.

#69 Posted by Tussler (39 posts) -

Love the DS4. Main complaint = battery life. Glad i bought 2.

#71 Posted by Tobyus (102 posts) -

I just love it. cant stop thinking about it and how much ill be playing PS4. Enjoying the controllers grip, buttons and shape :D

#72 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

A few months in and I still hit the share button, expecting a select-style menu or map to pop up. Whoops.

And as a strange aside, the program that lets you use the DS4 on the PC has support for the touchpad, which acts as a mouse. It is halfway to fixing the problem of using Steam Big Picture on your couch and having to click a menu option to launch some games (Would you like to run the DX9 or DX10 version?)

#73 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3170 posts) -

I love the controller, it's super comfortable and I dig the design.

#74 Edited by Hypemaster (4 posts) -

Overall I love the controller, I didn't realize how well it fit in my hands until I went back and tried the DS3. +1 for easy install on pc when using the controller as a joystick, and the trigger buttons are nice.

What I don't like is the material used on the bottom of the controller and the awkward placement of the start (options) button. Having been used to the ds1, ds2 and ds3 button layouts throughout most of my life, I still constantly have to remind myself the start button is no longer where it used to be.

With that said I give the controller a 9/10.

#75 Posted by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

I'm just going to go on the record and say I think its my favorite controller ever period. The only thing that needs to change is that we need to be able to toggle a "battery save" mode on if we're not using the camera so we can turn the light off.

#76 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

It's an absolutely fantastic controller. I'd probably put it tied with the 360 controller as my favorite.

#77 Posted by LiquidPrince (15969 posts) -

I'm just going to go on the record and say I think its my favorite controller ever period. The only thing that needs to change is that we need to be able to toggle a "battery save" mode on if we're not using the camera so we can turn the light off.

This is smart and totally doable I think.

#78 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2165 posts) -

The controller is amazing, but the rubber on the sticks is already wearing down after only playing through AC4 and Resogun.

#79 Edited by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

This is smart and totally doable I think.

I would have to think. The light bar is sort of neat especially when games actually use it for weird things like Warframe having it flash blue or red depending on if you're taking health or shield damage. But also, as cool as that is that Warframe does that you also uh...want to be looking at the screen not your controller.

#80 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

The controller is amazing, but the rubber on the sticks is already wearing down after only playing through AC4 and Resogun.

My left stick started to peel during a Revengeance playthrough, feels bad. I'd be up for one of those goofy third party nubs that fit on top of the stick.

#81 Posted by Galadan (39 posts) -

I really like it. I'd held one briefly at a store before I got my PS4 last week, and it didn't really do it for me then. But now that I've actually been playing with it I find it very comfortable.

The only problem I've had with it was no fault of the controller's. For the first five or six hours of playing Assassin's Creed IV I was very frustrated that there didn't seem to be a way to get to the "start" menu. I pressed the option button but I just got the map every time, except once or twice. It wasn't until yesterday that I realised that I'd actually been pressing the touchpad instead, my thumb instinctively going where the start button used to be. I felt very, very silly.

#82 Posted by spykereightsix (79 posts) -

Feels amazing, but crap battery life. Hopefully they'll improve later in the generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.