PlayStation 4. Post your thoughts on what's been announced

• 80 results
#1 Posted by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

Watching the stream at the moment.

First impressions are positive. There's nothing complicated about it and everything they've discussed so far makes sense.

Background downloads while playing, updating while the console is powered down. 8 GB of GDDR5 memory sounds great to me.

I also like the name. Simple and to the point.

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13151 posts) -

The specs are great. The controller looks pretty good too, as does the UI. All that's left is... does it have the games to back it up. I won't be buying one until it does.

#3 Posted by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

@toowalrus: I'm fairly confident for the games. Sony has got the first party studios needed to support it. I was way more concerned about the hardware and services side of things but so far it seems good.

#4 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

It wasn't until Uncharted was released that I stumped up the cash for the PS3. I will likely wait until there is a game that looks innovative enough and fun enough to warrant buying expensive new hardware.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13151 posts) -

@pr1mus: I don't think buying a new system based on the potential of great games is ever a good idea... but dude, Vita remote play actually sounds pretty rad. If that stuff is backwards compatible with PS3 and PSN stuff, I'm sold.

#6 Posted by cky4890 (104 posts) -

The whole powering down and turning it on and jump back into the spot you left off is creaking awesome screw you Microsoft going Sony this gen

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

Specs are pretty impressive, Knac looked great and some of the tech they demonstrated is neat. Not particularly keen on the social stuff though and essentially bringing out a Kinect censor bar was pretty embarrassing and even they knew it.

Hoping they still say something about the Vita, otherwise it's been relegated to being a Wii U controller and not a viable platform of its own.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

So something was actually announced, right? Because it sure sounds like it.

#9 Edited by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

The Killzone demo was pretty impressive. Nothing original but if all of that was real time i've got the answer to the question if i was going to need a graphics card upgrade or not for my PC to keep up.

Besides Killzone is alright. I'm not gonna be super dismissive of it like Brad and Patrick.

Also Ryan does a pretty good Al Pacino impression.

#10 Posted by BlackLagoon (1403 posts) -

@wintersnowblind: The sensor bar sounds more like an evolution of the PS2 Eyetoy tech than Kinect.

#11 Posted by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

That guy probably makes love to his car every night.

#12 Posted by Wampa1 (633 posts) -

@pr1mus: It just feels like a total disconnect between what Sony management things Killzone is, and what Killzone actually is. I mean if they had opened with something a little more vibrant and exciting that'd be nice. Still shooters and racing games will always be the graphics benchmarks. So it was Killzone or Gran Turismo 6.

#13 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

This seems appropriate:

I like! date an price please!

#14 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

DRAGONS DOGMA SOULS.

DRAGONS DOGMA SOULS.

MONSTER HUNTER ENEMY AI IN A D.SOULS GAME!!!!

#15 Edited by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

Watch_Dogs still looks awesome.

#16 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

Watchy Dawgs

#17 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1177 posts) -

Diablo 3...

huzzah?

#18 Posted by JeanLuc (3577 posts) -

I'm very impressed. I'm going to wait on what Microsoft shows first but I might go for the PS4 as my primary console.

#19 Posted by Teoball (588 posts) -

I'm totally sold. Will be buying the PS4 day one.

#20 Posted by Rekt_Hed (847 posts) -

Looks great and gonna be hitting this holiday! FUCKIN' A!!!

This is gonna be a INSANE holiday period

#21 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Wanted to see the console, but I was impressed.

#22 Posted by KillerZ (41 posts) -

I'm gonna be bummed, when they don't add new countries to the PSN. They talk about connectivity, but then leave countries out of the PSN.

#23 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Sony knocked it out of the park. Heard everything I wanted to hear from them. Predicted many of their plans correctly beforehand. The games look super clean, and more than impressive. Not just next generation hardware, today was the opening of the floodgates for the next generation of software.

Circumstances permitting, I'll be part of the Playstation 4 experience from day 1. I'm sold.

#24 Posted by EuanDewar (4872 posts) -

That was straight fuckin impressive, ive been mainly 360 this ENTIRE generation but microsoft got some fuckin shit to live up to man if they wanna keep me

#25 Posted by JYoung (151 posts) -

There was zero talk about the touch pad being used anywhere. How crucial is it to put that in the controller?

#26 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I was pleasantly surprised by that conference, they showed a lot more games than I was expecting. I wish they showed the actual console though.

#27 Posted by LikeaSsur (1506 posts) -

Fantastic conference/meeting. I'm back on board. Microsoft will have a tough time topping this.

HOWEVER, this is some pretty heavy stuff they're advertising. If they can get it to work, they'll be on top. Calling it now.

#28 Posted by Gaff (1704 posts) -

This is going to be one very interesting console war. Shots were fired by Sony, now Microsoft needs to answer.

#29 Edited by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Sure, I'm interested. Seems plausible, but I still remember how much backpedaling they did with the PS3.

#30 Posted by kerikxi (537 posts) -

Have to say Sony knocked it out of the park on this one. Features and tech sound great, and they had a lot of actual games to show.

HOWEVER, it will all break down to the price point. There's a lot of flashy, potentially expensive tech in there. $599 on the high end will leave them dead in the water.

#31 Posted by DocHaus (1324 posts) -

Boy, I sure am excited to see Bungie's hot new game where you play a spess mahreen fighting other alien spess mahreens on a giant round object for control of ancient advanced alien technology! I wonder if the hero's name is Blaster Bief?

Also curious if it will be backwards-compatible with PS3 games or if they'll force you to buy them online from their store?

#32 Posted by Winternet (8012 posts) -

It was actually a pretty good event. Some cool shit was showed/talked and some weird moments as well. Well done Sony.

#33 Posted by RedOrm (2 posts) -

Super-excited about the console even though most of the newly announced titles - while fucking gorgeous - didn't completely "wow" me in the gameplay department. Basically I'm really looking forward to E3 when (hopefully) we'll see some more titles being unveiled.

#34 Posted by DocHaus (1324 posts) -

@video_game_king: a bunch of prerendered footage for PS3 games combined with an announcement that the PS4 is coming out later this year maybe.

#35 Posted by HarlechQuinn (447 posts) -

This conference was surprisingly good.

Gamewise I really liked the Capcom stuff and "Knack". Also the Media Molecule stuff looked interesting.

No real interest in most of the social features, hopefully they can be turned off/deactivated.

So the PS4 will probably be the next gen system I'll buy, although it might not be that cheap with the GDR5 RAM...

#36 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

The specs are mighty impressive. It has 8GB of DDR5 memory. I don't even want to know how much this will all cost or what kind of hit Sony will take if they subsidize it. Everything looked great although every thing about the Destiny reveal from last week and now today has seemed like a real disappointment, like they still haven't really showed anything. Still crazy that Bungie is on stage at a Sony event.

I really have to wonder what MS has up their sleeve to top this especially if they can top or match the specs, I mean 8gb of DDR5!

#37 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I gotta say no form factor, kinda lame. Everything else: Amazing, sold!

#38 Posted by WickedFather (1731 posts) -

It's already won and I'm glad. I've got a 360 and this thing looks like it's interested in having games on it, which is nice. Also self publishing support for indie games instead of crippling them is great. I bet that download chip will patch your games when you're not there, too, instead of kicking you out of your party and going "Hey, like you wanna play this game you put in? I thought you might so I've kicked you off live because I'm some sort of crazy bully."

#39 Posted by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

I'm sure that if they didn't show the actual console it's probably because it's still a big ugly PC without a case and the hard drive dangling by its cables.

#40 Posted by JasonR86 (9649 posts) -

I only saw about half of it but from what I saw it looks really cool. If it is as cheap as was rumored ($400) then I'm really interested in it. I'm curious what Microsoft will do.

#41 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Sony hit it out of the park. Super impressed by the conference.

#42 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

It was all pretty cool except the Square part, showing an old demo and then saying e3 seemed pointless. Diablo 3 has been rumored to be on PS3 for a while, so I figured they moved it. So when Blizz came out it was clear what that was going to be.

Overall they showed way more than I thought they were going to.

Being able to jump into someone elses game and do something for them seems really cool. The Capcom demo looked too good to be true. Sleep mode instantly booting back into your game. The cool video stuff lifted from onlive. Downloading and playing games at the same time. Lots of good. As long as there isn't some huge negative they are holding back, like no used games or all digital or $999 or mandatory fees -- then I'm pretty impressed.

#43 Edited by Freelancer52 (70 posts) -

I only caught the last half-hour. I really enjoyed what I did see, Watch Dogs looks fantastic. Diablo 3 for consoles sounds weird, but I am not completely against the idea.

I will probably end up buying one.

#44 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@jyoung said:

There was zero talk about the touch pad being used anywhere. How crucial is it to put that in the controller?

The main functionality it will be used for is as a dynamic hotkey field - more buttons to access sub menus and such. Assuming it has some rudimentary visual feedback capabilities.

#45 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Almost all of the new IPs looked cool in some way.

Killzone looked way to much like Killzone gamplay. No interest in that. Bummed that Destiny is gonna be a game for both consoles (edit: I mean PS3/PS4). I assume it won't be all that "next-gen" on the PS4 but will likely still have that Bungie quality.

New features sound cool. I really want to know how much I'll have to pay for some of that.

#46 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

Still too much IP recycling, but the console seems really cool. I expect big things for E3.

#47 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

Summarized thoughts!

• The social features are really interesting, but it's a lot of big talk. I want to actually see it workbefore I believe it, and wouldn't be surprised if it gets cut, modified, or delayed until sometime after launch.
  • Same with the auto downloads/play as you download feature.
  • Sleep mode for consoles is amazing and it's about fucking time.
  • Stillzone is still completely uninteresting.
  • Sucker Punch's game probably would have had a bigger impact if they just called it Infamous 3.
  • I'm hoping for some connectivity between Wake Up Club and Driving Club. WAKE UP IT'S TIME TO DRIVE VROOM VROOM
  • Media Molecule has great ideas that are interesting for about a month. But their trailers are the best.
  • Sony loves indie games and this makes me love Sony more.
  • The Witness looks really good but I'm not much a fan of Johnathan Blow. Maybe it will be good?
  • Quantic Dreams makes great looking character models but not games I enjoy playing.
  • Yoshinori Ono is still the happiest little person in the world. I hugged him at Comic Con once.
  • DOGMA'S SOULS UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • Squenix showing the same E3 trailer was very lazy
  • SLEEPY WATCH DAWGS looks good but also kind of looks like it's a port of a current gen game.
  • The Diablo 3 announcement was a poor attempt to regain interest in a game that turned out pretty bad.
  • Really feel like Activision is hurting Bungie and making them talk about pre-orders and DLC. Still interested in the game, but I want to hear more about how the game works. Not pre-order bonuses and exclusive content.

Now how will Microsoft answer back? Right now I'm probably going to pick up a PS4 unless Microsoft somehow blows it out of the water.

#48 Posted by Peanut (953 posts) -

I'm constantly trying to argue with myself that I should be into all these Sony IPs, but I'm just not. I can't pretend to get excited for more Killzone/Infamous or whatever. I don't think any of the Sony specific games they showed were up my alley. That Knack game looked really neat, though. All of the surrounding "create" and "share" stuff I honestly couldn't care less about. I do like their stylistic changes, however. Sony stuff has always felt so stark, cold and mechanical, but their new stuff looks way more inviting.

Also, I couldn't be less excited for Destiny.

#49 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1496 posts) -

Underwhelming.

#50 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

Um. I mean I still might buy PS4 instead, its just that my friends usually stay on Xbox. I'll just get whatever they get. But, I would sure buy Killzone or Infamous if I had the chance! :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.