PlayStation 4. Post your thoughts on what's been announced

• 80 results
#51 Edited by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Watch_Dogs still looks cool. Deep Down is a terrible title.

#52 Edited by big_jon (5709 posts) -

I'm happy because this all seemed really solid, at least what I have seen, this drives Microsoft to make the nextbox that much better.

#53 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

They did a great job. They talked about the console possibilities and games. Not talking about the price is smart, save that talk for later.

#54 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@big_jon said:

I'm happy because this all seemed really solid, at least what I have seen, this drives Microsoft to make the nextbox that much better.

Microsoft probably doesn't have the time to react to any of this. I would assume they are set in their ways and will release their console the way they were going to before they saw any of this (unless they had some spies or something)

#55 Edited by Dacnomaniac (439 posts) -

Looks good, eager to see what Microsoft are gonna do...

@shadowconqueror: You do realize it'll probably change right? Seeing as it said '-working title-' underneath it.

@thegoldencat7: What were you honestly expecting?

#56 Posted by Wraxend (551 posts) -

Really impressed by sonys showing, wish they had shown the console itself but can't have everything. Controller looks really nice, just wondering how they are gonna pair it with that stereo camera and what that will mean for controlling games.

#57 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

@big_jon said:

You know, at some point Microsoft is shitting themselves. I doubt they're gonna have that many 1st party outings. Fable 4 has to get made now, just to compete against an onslaught of Sony. Microsoft will have a media bad ass thing, that does bad ass things. While PS4 is just a monster. ~ All things to consider.

I liked what I saw with Media Molecule. :)

#58 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

The playing PS4 games through the Vita looks nice and is a cool bulletpoint in the systems favor, but on the other hand if I want to take advantage of it I'm going to need to buy a separate $250-300 handheld to be able to do that.

Also no price point on the console itself or if online will still be free or if they're moving to a subscription based service to help pay for all of this digital distribution servers that they're going to need if all that talk of it comes through.

#59 Posted by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

I'm excited! There were a couple of really interest-looking demos and the thing looks like it's being made by people that know what the fuck they're doing.

I'm debating switching back from the Xbox this time around since most people I know play PS3's anyway, though that depends on what MS announces (I imagine another shitty dashboard and lots of Kinect functionality on the new Xbox.)

#60 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

The biggest thing to be worried about right now is the price. The system is going to be expensive as fuuuuuuuck and if Microsoft can't match the features they can still get the upper hand with the price.

#61 Edited by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

Save state - instant on/off is great, anyone that has a Vita knows how good it is.

Vita integration is great, Sony is realizing what Nintendo tried to do with Wii U tablet.

8gb RAM, I'm surprised, it is shared gpu/cpu and it looks like there will be a lot of background apps running for video recording / background updating, so it will probably be put to good use.

Video sharing will be a complete bust, the reason people do it on Youtube is ad revenue, I can't see that happening in the Sony ecosystem.

A lot of the games looked like complete bull; that sculpting sim, where's the game?

Metzen showing up holy shit! Diablo 3 shit...

Bungie on playstation, it was expected, but I think it really shows how much long-term damage Microsoft did to themselves this gen.

APU, if it's anything like PC (it is), it will make the PS4 extremely cheap to make compared to the PS3, I wouldn't be worried about either console being crazy expensive at launch.

#62 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

I'm calling it: 2013, Year of the Particle (effects).

#63 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

@superwristbands: If you honestly think that Microsoft can ignore Sony's push toward quality on these next systems you are a crazy person. There will always be some level of reaction, and the fact that indie guys can make games on this thing that much more easily is already going to hurt Microsoft, now that everyone knows the pains of launching a game on the 360.

If you choose to ignore your competitor you will fail. Look at Blackberry.

#64 Posted by Pr1mus (3808 posts) -

The biggest thing to be worried about right now is the price. The system is going to be expensive as fuuuuuuuck and if Microsoft can't match the features they can still get the upper hand with the price.

There's no way they can get the upper hand on price. No matter what kind of hit they would have to take Sony will match the price of Microsoft's console if it was cheaper. That costed them dearly last time around. They won't make the same mistake.

#65 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Very impressed! Wanted some more specific information on some features and obviously wanted to see the actual console but otherwise a really cool event. Watch dogs still look freakin awesome

#66 Edited by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

Is there an archived footage of the event? I missed it, so I don't really have a full picture of what's going on.

#67 Edited by Peanut (953 posts) -

@pr1mus said:
@morbid_coffee said:

There's no way they can get the upper hand on price. No matter what kind of hit they would have to take Sony will match the price of Microsoft's console if it was cheaper. That costed them dearly last time around. They won't make the same mistake.

I think you're under the impression Sony can afford to take any kind of hit to directly compete with Microsofts pricing strategy, which they certainly can't. Not saying Microsoft will necessarily come in cheaper, but if they do there's not a hell of a lot Sony can do unless they want to bleed the company dry.

#68 Edited by primalmaster (87 posts) -

Color me impressed, I was expecting a lot less from this conference and was pleasantly suprised by the amount of stuff they showed. The social features like the video sharing and spectating options look interesting.

I really liked the look of The witness, for some reason it reminded me a bit of the Myst games.

#69 Posted by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -

I think one too many people are getting swept away in the moment. While today's show was impressive, I'm not sure how/why people are writing off the worlds largest software company. Gotta wait until E3.

#70 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Meh.

#71 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (954 posts) -

@pr1mus: To a hardcore gamer, sure. Price probably doesn't matter. But think about the average person that plays video games and whether or not they'd be interested in spending $600 on everything the PS4 has to offer in terms of social interaction and online features, or more interested in whatever the cheapest way they can play the new Call of Duty will be.

For every gamer who follows gaming media, like us, there are thousands more who don't give a fuck. It's a matter of what sells in the end, and affordability = more sales.

#72 Posted by Pr1mus (3808 posts) -

@peanut: I maintain what i said. They simply can't price their system 100$ more than the competition. It doesn't work and they know it.

And besides the memory nothing in that console seems all that expensive. And that memory directly from the manufacturer won't be very expensive for them either. The simple fact that it's already been in use in video cards for years and that not all these cards are 500-600 dollars proves it.

#73 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

The share feature actually has me quite impressed, I love having the ability to share crazy things in games that happened to you, like a unintentionally hillarious gitch in a Bethesda game or an awesome goal in Fifa. I like being able to watch people play their games, I hope this leads to be able to watch the GB guys playing games they are reviewing or being able to watch a pro gamer like Daigo from Street Fighter just demolish dudes online.

The specs are way better than I expected 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is insane, top of the line GPU's at the moment have about 2GB I think in their GPU's. Really interested to know more about the CPU\GPU chip though. But the demos of Drive Club and Killzone 4 looked incredible and if those engine demos are actually real time they are pushing top of the line GPU's at the moment.

Games really knocked it out the park and was a lot more than I was expecting, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Diablo 3, Drive Club, Infamous 3 and Killzone 4 looked really sweet, the Drive Club car models looked gorgeous and having emotive drivers is something I really appreciate, The lighting and fire effects in Killzone and the look of the city was fricking gorgeous.

The Controller looks great, hope the sticks aren't as flimsy as the DS3, the touch pad I'm really interested in, was hoping them to show off a RTS using it, was kind of expecting Blizzard to show Star Craft 2 when Blizzard came out.

The PSP Vita streaming sounds great, I think they will designate the L1\R1 buttons on either the touch pad or the top corners of the screen has me wondering if Sony will bring out a revision of the Vita with a the extra triggers, really has me excited to buy a PSP Vita now, in those cold winter months being able to tuck up in bed and play the new Final Fantasy or even Fallout 4 sounds really appealing.

Overall Sony really knocked it out the park, great games, great hardware, new features that actually don't feel gimicky, and with being able to stream any PS1 or PS2 game I really think all this stuff is tied behind a pay subscription like Xbox Live, all those features really sound like you need to pay for them. I expect at E3 Sony to right out the gate say the price of the PS4 and the price of the subscription model and then wow everyone with the games and features that people will want to pay the subscription model. Really great conference today had me more excited for next gen than I thought I would yesterday.

#74 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Is there an archived footage of the event? I missed it, so I don't really have a full picture of what's going on.

You can watch everything on Game Trailers, they have all the sections of the gameplay and reveals cut up into chunks.

#75 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I want the inFamous series to be sold in powder form so I can snort it and get proper fucked up.

#76 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Haha Microsoft just announce a Daft Punk breakout game for Kinect, is that your response?

#77 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

@asian_pride said:

You can watch everything on Game Trailers, they have all the sections of the gameplay and reveals cut up into chunks.

Ah, sweet. Thanks.

#78 Posted by mellotronrules (1172 posts) -

Haha Microsoft just announce a Daft Punk breakout game for Kinect, is that your response?

if anyone announces anything daft punk related my check is in the mail.

#79 Edited by HH (599 posts) -

1. i love the instant replay feature. it would make all the difference to me if microsoft does not have something similar on the new xbox.

2. i'm psyched for deep down, AS LONG AS i get to design my own character.

#80 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

I thought it was so so so clever. Because they managed to announce a console while keeping the mystery.

We could have woken up this morning saying "well that was playstation, your ball Microsoft" but we haven't. Sure there is the question of Microsoft's next move but the Playstation 4 is still a source of mystery. What does it look like?! What noise does it make when you boot it on? Does it sound like a jet engine again?!! They managed to announce a console and get us hyped about the stuff inside it (well vicariously through brad at least) without removing any of the pre-console hype about what the hell this thing is!

They also focussed on games. This was so so clever the more I think about it. The GB crew kept saying "Its like E3" and that stuck with me. What Sony did was make the entire conference about what we love, and thats games. The console is utterly useless without games and as exciting as it is to hear about a new one its what I can play on it that gets me hyped. Even the new functions of the PS4 were about games, There was no long sing and dance about facebook, or arbitrary console function. The main functions that were released like the ability to share were functions that they think we supplement the gaming. Do I want to post on my friends wall "I played Far Cry 3 and you should aswell?" no...but do I want to post a video of me running a tiger over with a quad bike?! ....yes, yes I do.

It was basically Sony saying "here, this is what you love....what to know more?! wait." Instead of handing the baton to microsoft they turned a thousand spotlights onto themselves.

#81 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

I dont know what the fuck Media Molecule actually showed but it looks potentially incredible. Psyched for The Witness too.

Infamous on next gen tech could be great, Killzone looked dull in terms of gameplay but the idea of the split city is pretty interesting.

Capcoms thing looked pretty crazy but who knows what that will actually be, and at this point who gives a shit about Square Enix and Blizzard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.