'PlayStation TV' gets trademarked.

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3776 posts) -

It seems to be a that Sony has had an old television "app" trademark since 2006. It has recently been refined since June 26th, 2013.

IGN: Sony Submits Trademark Application For 'PlayStation TV'

It does seem to be that both consoles are being made for mainstream audiences, much more tightly than before. I'm thinking this 'PlayStation TV' app will at least do something similar to what Microsoft is doing with live TV. Yea I edited it. Oh well.

#2 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1253 posts) -

That's cool that it is in there. I may not use it like whatever might be in the Xbox One since I am not lazy enough to change the input, but at least it is another checkmark and adding to the competition. Only difference for me still between the two is how Xbox focused on this during their reveal and PS4 was all about the games.

#3 Posted by Aetheldod (3708 posts) -

as long as it aint invasive its fine by me.

#4 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1480 posts) -

I hope its just 24 hours of The Tester

#6 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3528 posts) -

This must be what that nervous, overly-tanned guy was talking about at the E3 conference.

#7 Posted by BigJeffrey (5170 posts) -

Well now that Playstation is doing it,

TV is Awesome and should be standard on a console.

#8 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

And so I ask Sony the same question I asked Microsoft: it's great and all, but why in god's name would I use it when Nintendo TVii is the exact same thing and I don't use that?

#9 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

I just hope that that's Sony trying to establish a global streaming service that's not crippled by current local market realities. Around my parts all the VoD services are horrible, and there's nothing akin to Netflix Streaming at all. Hell - most of them don't even offer original VOs. God I hate German translations so much. It can only get better.

The restrictions movie & tv show distributers impose on streaming services are so fucked up. Squandering the potential of the internet, setting us consumers back a decade or even more. God dammit.

#10 Posted by ajamafalous (12146 posts) -

@iamjohn said:

And so I ask Sony the same question I asked Microsoft: it's great and all, but why in god's name would I use it when Nintendo TVii is the exact same thing and I don't use that?

Oh god, I totally forgot that was a thing that existed. Did that thing ever launch?

#11 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1066 posts) -

I just hope someone at some point fixes cable TV, don't care who dose it. Every DVR i've had screws up far to often, doesn't have enough space, and the features could be much better. Give me a service that has all major shows on demand all the time, some nice features and doesn't screw up once a week and i would gladly pay.

#12 Posted by zombie2011 (5048 posts) -

Huh? So from the comments so far it's OK if Sony integrates TV into there system but fuck MS for doing it.

#13 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

I hope its just 24 hours of The Tester

So does David Jaffe.

#14 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

Huh? So from the comments so far it's OK if Sony integrates TV into there system but fuck MS for doing it.

I'm guessing if Sony does something like this on the PS4, it'll be more of a downloadable app than integrated into the game console. It's still not anything I'm interested in, but as long as it's not hogging up almost half of the system RAM by default like Microsoft's implementation, godspeed to them.

#15 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

So wait, what was that Playstation 3D TV/monitor from 2011 (I think) called?

#16 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3776 posts) -
#17 Edited by LiquidPrince (16158 posts) -

Sure, as long as it isn't the main focus of the console, why not?

#18 Posted by JasonLeeson (200 posts) -

This picture was uploaded 2 weeks ago.

#19 Posted by MrCaptain (367 posts) -
#20 Edited by SomeJerk (3389 posts) -
#21 Posted by mrfluke (5340 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

I'm guessing if Sony does something like this on the PS4, it'll be more of a downloadable app than integrated into the game console. It's still not anything I'm interested in, but as long as it's not hogging up almost half of the system RAM by default like Microsoft's implementation, godspeed to them.

exactly, sony will make it a peripheral focus of the console, but keep the core of it about games.

microsofts pitch came off as the exact opposite.

#22 Posted by cloudnineboya (844 posts) -

so what happens when we all just start watching tv and not playing viga games, what then???

#23 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (3017 posts) -

Well, now we know what PlayStation TV is all about, it about streaming content if they can sign a deal with Viacom and others. I like that this streaming service will be called something simple like PlayStation TV and not something weird like Crackle.

#24 Edited by Corvak (1172 posts) -

I find it funny that the console makers seem to be so interested in partnering with cable providers, while their core demographic is moving away from cable subscriptions.

This could work out better, though. If cable providers and console makers can provide an a la carte streaming package - not having to buy a $50 package for three channels i'd actually watch - it is then something I can get behind.

#25 Edited by Tesla (1944 posts) -

So this Sony/Viacom deal looks like you'll be able to stream individual channels.

I love it, this is how you integrate TV with a video game console! As someone who doesn't have a cable box, I can actually use this kind of service (unlike Microsoft's TV integration). There are only a handful of channels that I miss having, can't wait to pay for them without having to deal with the rest of the crap I never watch.

Here's hoping this opens the floodgates for the other providers to make similar deals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.