Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Pre-order or Wait?

J_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Should I pre-order it or wait until it releases on its first day?

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preorder and go out day one, because you probably won't get it sent to you by day one, if you then manage get one in a store all you have to do is cancel your preorder.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either that or wait for the slim version in like a year or two, by that point all the games your excited for now will be dirt cheap, plus there might be a price drop along with the ps4 slim.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Unless you are rich and/ord hate having money there's no point in getting one now. There's nothing on it worth getting imo. Maybe in a year or two there will be something.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JayEH

Are there even any preorders left?

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If you're looking to have it day one, definitely pre-order. Even then, I'm not sure you'll get in the first shipment at this point.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monetarydread

Unless you are dying to be a part of the conversation on launch day, wait to pick up a PS4. I cannot think of a single console launch that did not suck. Just wait and see what all the problems are going to be for the systems first.

Look at the og Playstation launch as a great example. Not only were the consoles even more prone to failure than the 360's launch consoles, but there was such a dirth of games after launch that fools convinced themselves that Jumping Flash was a good game.

Every system launch starts with some mediocre games that people play because thats whats available. Then that person has to wait for six months before decent games start comming out. It usually takes a year before a systems first "great," game comes out. By that time people would have found out the faults of systems as well.

ionkinetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@j_dude said:

Should I pre-order it or wait until it releases on its first day?

Sounds like you are going to try and get it at launch, so if you can get a fee-less preorder in at a locale shop you should do that. Then you can always get it in the afternoon or call then and cancel if the first reports coming out sounds to bad for your taste.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I cannot think of a single console launch that did not suck.

NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, GameCube, Dreamcast, Xbox, PlayStation 2, and probably more that I'm forgetting. So arguably most of them, and Dreamcast had perhaps the most amazing console launch in history, aside from the NES.

SoulCalibur, Hydro Thunder, Power Stone, NFL 2K, and Sonic Adventure.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Totally agree with this. At this point (depending on if you're in the US or UK) you'll probably won't be guaranteed a launch console anyway. So if you pre-order most likely you'll be getting it before Christmas, not at launch. If you do want to be a part of the conversation then it may be fun to go stand in line an chat with other launch day folks.

There will almost be a guaranteed bundle of Infamous and the PS4, and probably the same with Destiny. Those seem like the first must-have games, so I would wait. If I didn't have a guaranteed day one console at this point I would probably cancel my order and wait until next year.

Unless you are dying to be a part of the conversation on launch day, wait to pick up a PS4. I cannot think of a single console launch that did not suck. Just wait and see what all the problems are going to be for the systems first.

Look at the og Playstation launch as a great example. Not only were the consoles even more prone to failure than the 360's launch consoles, but there was such a dirth of games after launch that fools convinced themselves that Jumping Flash was a good game.

Every system launch starts with some mediocre games that people play because thats whats available. Then that person has to wait for six months before decent games start comming out. It usually takes a year before a systems first "great," game comes out. By that time people would have found out the faults of systems as well.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11 sweep  Moderator

I'm not sure either, but I have no desperate desire to play any of the launch titles so I'm probably going to wait at the very least until christmas. I don't want to have to deal with any of the inevitable hardware fuckups.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've decided to wait until december. So my recommendation is to wait and get a feel for where the consoles stand instead of going in blind. Who knows what kind of crazy shit could happen and completely change the circumstances

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have mine pre-ordered, but I'm really thinking about canceling it because there just isn't anything grabbing me until next year.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait until it has a decent games lineup. If you live in the UK, wait until game prices are not ridiculously overpriced. Seriously, who the hell would buy a console if the game costs £50-55?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Unless you want to be the coolest kid on your block and feel this will directly lead to hot chicks, I would wait until you are certain of the quality of the product and the products that play on that product.

TwinkleTwinkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to wait and just hope I find one in stores, I can't be dealing with pre-ordering, makes everything way less fun.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait.

Pre-ordering does this industry no good at all.

What it does do is over-inflate hardware and software developers' expectations. Games get massive budgets, sell millions and fail anyway taking developers and publishers with them.

Or like we've seen with Microsoft recently, low pre-order numbers force the developers to make all kinds of last minute changes to try and appease customers, which I have no doubt will result in a high rate of console failure.

The video game industry is so screwed up. No where else is the constant erosion of customers' rights in the form of DRM considered progress or innovation. No where else would someone pay full price - or indeed even more - for a product that they haven't even seen, and that isn't even finished yet. No where else do people pay real money for fucking temporary, virtual bits of data in the form of a +1 longsword or a bloody custom colored loin cloth.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Nictel

I'm sceptic that the servers will hold on the release days of the new consoles. All those Day 1 patches. Which will probably be massive. Also I have been burned by pre-ordering too much to recommend it to anyone, even for consoles.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19 chaser324  Moderator

I have both the PS4 and Xbox One preordered and guaranteed day one, but honestly, the more I think about it the more I'm considering just waiting because I'm just not all that excited about the launch titles on either console. It isn't until things like inFamous Second Son, Titanfall, and Destiny start arriving that I really think I'm going to want that new hardware.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@spaceinsomniac: I would disagree with PS2 and Gamecube but the others all had at least one amazing launch game and in the case of the Xbox the very first game released for the system ended up being its best.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Weight.

II_SpadeX_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By II_SpadeX_II

Pre-ordering will guarantee that you'll get it day one (Depending on the offer you've chose) while the stock might get sold out the first day it releases, so pre-ordering is a better option.

RavenousJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RavenousJoker

I plan on waiting to get a PS4, I want to have a nice selection of games to choose from and to see if there are any bugs with the system.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Giantbomb's launch day livestream will be fucken great so I won't even be mad if my pre-order arrives late. Going to hunt on launch day may mean you'll miss the coverage and that would be awful.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It really depends on if your interested in the launch games. If you are then go for it.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah pre ordering is almost impossible. In Germany for example it is even impossible to order one now and to get it in 2013.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never get a console on launch unless you have like 500 dollars just hanging around chilling. That's my motto anyway. I always wait until there are a lot of games released for it.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pre-ordering and sold on it but i would say pre-order on amazon or a site like it that won't ask for money down or won't charge you early. I would think most pre-orders are already sold out by now tho so i don't really get why you would ask now.

But if we are talking launch day buying i say ps4 is looking like a good investment at launch unless they mess up with the PSN stuff on day one. I don't think we will see a price drop anytime soon and i prefer to get the price of the system out of the way first and than load up on games when they come. I have a selection of ps3 and ps4 games that will tie me over in the meantime.

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CynicalBuzzard

Wait, so that you will have a good selection of games to choose from.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.